PDA

View Full Version : World Help Prophecies are hard

KittenMagician
2019-10-14, 07:12 PM
in my world the hero of ages past and his sister started a group of heroes to end a time of intense chaos and evil. although incest is frowned upon it was pretty regular in real life and the hero and his sister end up having kids together. twins which the sister a bout of prophetic vision about them helping usher in a new age and the rise of new gods. the prophecy drives a wedge between the hero and his sister and the sister along with a portion of the heroes betray the rest in an attempted seizure of power in the lands. the main hero and the remaining loyal ones work to try and kidnap the twins so that the sister cant use them in her new evil plans (the sister is the bbeg of my campaign) but only succeed in getting one of them. the one they get is spirited to parts unknown and put into stasis via magic while the other twin is hidden by the sister and also put into stasis because the prophecy calls for both of the twins to work in concert. the twins are 2 of the players in my group who dont know they are twins.

background laid out i need help with specific wording cause bbeg mom wants to manipulate the prophecy to make herself a god so she can have ridiculous powers. so i need the wording to be vague as prophecies are but strong enough to drive her to think she can become a god. its this drive that causes the hero and her to split (she wants both of them to be gods so that they can live together forever and reign over the world forever in a era of unending peace [total dictatorship])

Evil DM Mark3
2019-10-15, 02:54 AM
They are indeed hard, but I am not 100% sure I understand what you need. You have explained what they prophecy needs to seem to say, but what does it ACTUALLY mean, we need that if we are to put a hidden alternate meaning in it.

If what you want is just a prophecy that when the twins are re-united their parents have a shot at godhood, maybe something like this.

Two birds hatched in a rotten-rooted tree - The twins and a reference to their parentage.
One flies to all the East and the other to all the West - They get separated, but note if you go all the way East and all the way West you actually meed up again, a hint the twins will find each other.

This is where the details provided are insufficient as you need some symbol for the parents based on their personality, for now I will use A and B, assume they are birds like, dunno, Crow and Eagle.
The A highs away, his chicks no words to say - The father has no interest in the prophecies.
The B flies high, her chicks to spy - She wants the twins back, but flying high has heavenly and deific associations.

Here you should foreshadow a few plot points from the adventure, let me know what other stuff they are doing in the meantime and I could give a few ideas. This part is both to lengthen the prophecy and also give players clues as to who the twins might be, or at least that they are in the party.

Nestward bound the chicks do soar - At some point the party is going back to the villains I assume.
So that two bring the world to awe - Awe has an older meaning to be something like "In the presence of divine power", but really here is means the more modern meaning. Two is ambiguous, but actually refers to the kids who will awe the world by taking down the tyrant NOT that the parents will ascend to godhood.

brian 333
2019-10-15, 10:19 AM
The trick of prophecy is to know how the event will happen, word it in an ambiguous and/or misleading way, then railroad the players into that outcome.

The players may learn of the prophecy after they begin, in which case create an earlier stanza about what their characters have already done.

KittenMagician
2019-10-15, 06:38 PM
They are indeed hard, but I am not 100% sure I understand what you need. You have explained what they prophecy needs to seem to say, but what does it ACTUALLY mean, we need that if we are to put a hidden alternate meaning in it.

So what i need it to mean is that the twins are essentially destined to help raise 2 new gods. these will be the god of the seas/oceans (there isnt one as of yet) and the other is to be the god of either prophecy or magic in which her power will allow her to either cast prophecies into the past or time travel into the past to have always existed as the goddess of magic. if you want i can get into the nitty gritty of the whole back ground of my world but i need it to be ambiguous enough for the mother of the twins to see it as she and her brother could take the spot of the gods to be raised.

Tawmis
2019-10-26, 04:38 PM
What I am confused about is - you mention that the kids are put away in a stasis field thing - but here they are - as players - walking around the world?