PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Buckler of Prohibition [3.5 magic item] (prevent hooligans from consuming alcohol)

Vaern
2019-10-14, 09:45 PM
Buckler of Prohibition1
This +1 buckler appears to be composed of scintillating crystalline shards ranging from clear to translucent browns and greens. Upon closer inspection it becomes apparent that these shards are actually fragments of shattered glass from dozens of broken bottles which have been melded together to form this shield.
For as long as the buckler is worn, its wielder automatically detects any alcohol within 30 feet. The buckler's wielder may, at will, expunge alcohol from a vessel by touching it and speaking the words, "I prohibit," leaving behind a non-alcoholic beverage. For example, a bottle of wine becomes a bottle of grape juice, a flagon of mead becomes a flagon of watered-down honey, and a pint of beer becomes a pint of stale urine.
In addition, once per day, the wielder of the shield may purge a single creature of alcohol. This negates any damaging effects of drunkenness or alcohol poisoning, but does nothing to help with the resulting hangover.
The buckler of prohibition does not function for any creature who has consumed alcohol within the past seven days.

Weak conjuration; CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, detect poison, purify food and drink, and neutralize poison; Price 6710 gp2; Cost 3355 gp + 269 XP

1 Not affiliated or associated with gooddragon1's Buckler of Prohibition (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?600427-Buckler-of-Prohibition-3-5-magic-item-(block-1-type-of-specific-magic))™
2 The cost of the item is significanly reduced from the value of its requisite spells due to its usage restriction and the fact that it only functions against a single type of poison

noob
2019-10-15, 02:03 PM
Buckler of Prohibition1
This +1 buckler appears to be composed of scintillating crystalline shards ranging from clear to translucent browns and greens. Upon closer inspection it becomes apparent that these shards are actually fragments of shattered glass from dozens of broken bottles which have been melded together to form this shield.
For as long as the buckler is worn, its wielder automatically detects any alcohol within 30 feet. The buckler's wielder may, at will, expunge alcohol from a vessel by touching it and speaking the words, "I prohibit," leaving behind a non-alcoholic beverage. For example, a bottle of wine becomes a bottle of grape juice, a flagon of mead becomes a flagon of watered-down honey, and a pint of beer becomes a pint of stale urine.
In addition, once per day, the wielder of the shield may purge a single creature of alcohol. This negates any damaging effects of drunkenness or alcohol poisoning, but does nothing to help with the resulting hangover.
The buckler of prohibition does not function for any creature who has consumed alcohol within the past seven days.

Weak conjuration; CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, detect poison, purify food and drink, and neutralize poison; Price 6710 gp2; Cost 3355 gp + 269 XP

1 Not affiliated or associated with gooddragon1's Buckler of Prohibition (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?600427-Buckler-of-Prohibition-3-5-magic-item-(block-1-type-of-specific-magic))™
2 The cost of the item is significanly reduced from the value of its requisite spells due to its usage restriction and the fact that it only functions against a single type of poison

Step 1: get a shield of prohibition.
Step 2: enter a dwarf settlement.
Step 3: dwarves attacks you on sight after you undrunk some.

gooddragon1
2019-10-15, 03:10 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#swordBerserking

Sword, Berserking
This item appears to have the characteristics of a +2 greatsword. However, whenever the sword is used in battle, its wielder goes berserk (gaining all the benefits and drawbacks of the barbarian’s rage ability). He attacks the nearest creature and continues to fight until unconscious or dead or until no living thing remains within 30 feet. Although many see this sword as a cursed object, others see it as a boon.

Moderate evocation; CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, rage, bestow curse; Price 17,500 gp.

That part of the description is what I thought of.

Vaern
2019-10-15, 03:36 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#swordBerserking

That part of the description is what I thought of.
I'm going to have to make a cursed version that you can't get rid of and automatically purifies all alcohol within its detection range...

J-H
2019-10-15, 07:55 PM
Thanks... I am totally going to throw this into the treasury in my 5e Castlevania game. I expect the players won't use it (aside from the armor bonus), but it'll be fun either way.

Vaern
2019-10-15, 08:57 PM
Now that I think about it, there are some very specific instances where this item might actually have a practical application. Characters with the vow of abstinence feat can not willingly consume alcohol without sacrificing the benefits of the feat and a wu jen may choose the consumption of alcohol as a taboo.
I just threw this item out there as a joke, but if one were to play one of these characters and end up in a situation where they're out of water and their only option is to drink some booze that am ally happens to be carrying, this buckler could spare them from losing their abilities.

Phhase
2019-10-22, 02:29 PM
a pint of beer becomes a pint of stale urine.

Wait, why doesn't the buckler work on beer? :smalltongue:

Step 1: get a shield of prohibition.
Step 2: enter a dwarf settlement.
Step 3: dwarves attacks you on sight after you undrunk some.
Don't be silly.

Step 4: Dwarves laud you as a hero once they realize this means they can drink ad infinitum and never take liver damage/get alcohol poisoning.