PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Shift ACF and Maneuverability

Zombulian
2019-10-14, 11:49 PM
Quick question today guys.
The Sudden Shift ACF for Transmuter Wizards (PHBII p.70) gives you the ability to gain a climb, fly, or swim speed as an immediate action for 1 round. On its face this looks like a very nice ACF, though admittedly it is overshadowed by Abrupt Jaunt.
The issue I’m dealing with is that the fly speed offered doesn’t have a listed maneuverability. Was there an errata? Is there a default maneuverability to use when one isn’t listed?

NontheistCleric
2019-10-15, 12:08 AM
Unfortunately, the PHB II errata skips over this point. As to whether there is a default maneuverability, I'm inclined to say no, but I could be wrong.

Fizban
2019-10-15, 02:00 AM
It's not the only one- the Draconic Flight feat also fails to list the maneuverability, with no errata. Ironically, Celestial Sorcerer Wings does specify good maneuverability, but it costs a standard action for rounds of duration, making it terrible. I would assume that any writer who forgot to specify the maneuverability of a magically induced PC flight ability probably meant the same as the Fly spell (good), because they're clearly not focused on details like how their flight ability actually works.

Thurbane
2019-10-15, 04:06 AM
In lack of RAW, I'd probably treat is the same as the Fly spell (good).

Having said that though, the fluff seems to imply you are altering your body to allow the movement (i.e. wings?), so maybe something akin to a winged humanoid-form would be more apt (Aarakocra and Avariel sit at average).