PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Monk (by adding some PsyWarrior in)

Draz74
2007-10-17, 12:38 AM
This may have been done before, but I don't remember ever seeing it spelled out in full glory. But it sure seems like the most logical way to "fix" the Monk to me! It is caster-ish mechanically, but I really believe if you describe the fluff right, this class will not seem like a caster in play.

This version of the Monk is not meant to be used with pre-existing Monk-focused Prestige Classes, nor with cheese that has been used to fix Monks in the past (such as using a magical gauntlet that "counts as an unarmed strike").

Brief summary: Compared with the Psychic Warrior, this Monk gains good Reflex and Will saves, 4 skill points per level, Ki Strike, partial access to Monk unarmed abilities, and the Monk's bonus to AC (improved), as well as access to three new psionic Powers that copy the effects of Flurry of Blows, Stunning Fist, and Quivering Palm. In return for these benefits, this Monk loses armor and shield proficiency, martial weapon proficiency, and has her power manifestation abilities delayed by three levels. She also loses access to some of the Psychic Warrior's Powers.

Monk

Alignment: Any nonchaotic.

Class Skills: The monk's class skills are Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Psionics) (Int), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points per Level: 6+Int

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Power Points/ Day|Powers Known|Highest Level Power Available

1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+2|Bonus Feat, Unarmed Strike (1d6), Sixth Sense +1|
1|
0|
n/a

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+3|Bonus Feat, Ki Strike (magic)|
1|
1|
1st

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|Evasion|
1|
1|
1st

4th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Ki Strike (slashing, piercing), Sixth Sense +2|
2|
2|
1st

5th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Bonus Feat|
2|
2|
1st

6th|
+4|
+5|
+5|
+5|Ki Strike (adamantine)|
3|
3|
1st

7th|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+5|Sixth Sense +3|
5|
4|
2nd

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+6|Bonus Feat|
7|
5|
2nd

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+6|Improved Evasion|
11|
6|
2nd

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+7|
+7|Sixth Sense +4|
15|
7|
3rd

11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+7|
+7|Bonus Feat|
19|
8|
3rd

12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+8|
+8|Ki Strike (aligned)|
23|
9|
3rd

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+8|
+8|Sixth Sense +5|
27|
10|
4th

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+9|Bonus Feat|
35|
11|
4th

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+9|
+9|Unarmed Strike (2d6)|
43|
12|
4th

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+10|Sixth Sense +6|
51|
13|
5th

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+10|Bonus Feat|
59|
14|
5th

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+11|Timeless Body|
67|
15|
5th

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+11|Sixth Sense +7|
79|
16|
6th

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+12|Bonus Feat|
91|
17|
6th[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Monk.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Monks are proficient with club, crossbow (heavy or light), dagger, dart, handaxe, javelin, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, sap, shortspear, shuriken, siangham, sickle, sling, throwing axe, and unarmed strikes.

Monks are not proficient with any armor or shields.

Unarmed Strike
At 1st Level, a Monk gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A Monk may make unarmed attacks with any part of the body, and thus may use an unarmed strike even when her hands are full. A Monk may apply her full Strength bonus to damage to all attacks made with unarmed strikes; there is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a Monk striking unarmed.

When using an unarmed strike or grappling, a Monk may deal lethal or nonlethal damage with no penalty to her attack roll for either choice.

A Monk's unarmed attack is treated as a natural weapon for the purposes of spells and effects that enhance or improve natural weapons.

A Monk deals more damage with her unarmed strikes than a normal person would. A Medium-sized Monk deals 1d6 damage with an unarmed strike. At 15th Level, this unarmed strike damage increases to 2d6 damage. For Monks that are sizes other than Medium, use the standard chart for increased/decreased weapon damage based on size.

Sixth Sense (Ex)
When unarmored and not carrying more than a light load, the Monk adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC. In addition, a Monk gains a +1 bonus to AC at 1st Level. This bonus increases by +1 for every three Monk levels thereafter. These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the Monk is flat-footed.

A Monk loses these bonuses to AC anytime she is immobilized or helpless, or when she wears any armor or wields any shield or carries a medium or heavy load. These bonuses to AC do not stack with other effects that add the Monk's Wisdom bonus to AC.

Bonus Feats
At 1st Level, 2nd Level, and every three levels thereafter, the Monk gains a bonus feat. These bonus feats must be drawn from the list of feats noted as fighter bonus feats or psionic feats. The Monk must meet all prerequisites for these bonus feats, including class requirements (e.g. no feats that require Fighter levels as prerequisites).

Ki Strike
At 2nd Level, the Monk's unarmed strikes are treated as magical attacks for the purposes of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction. At 4th Level, her unarmed attacks may be treated as slashing or piercing weapons for the purposes of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction. At 6th Level, her unarmed attacks are treated as adamantine weapons for the purposes of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction and bypassing hardness. At 12th Level, her unarmed attacks are treated as Lawful, Good, or Evil weapons for the purposes of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction. Upon attaining 12th Level, a Monk must choose one of these three options, which must match her alignment. After this choice is made, it cannot be changed, and its benefit is lost if the Monk ceases to have her alignment match her Ki Strike ability.

Ki Strike is only in effect when the Monk is psionically focused.

Evasion
At 3rd Level or higher, if a Monk makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion does not function if the Monk is helpless, wearing medium or heavy armor, or carrying a medium or heavy load.

Improved Evasion
At 9th Level, if a Monk fails a Reflex save against an attack that would have been affected by Evasion on a successful save, she takes only half damage.

Timeless Body
At 18th Level, a Monk gains immunity to magical aging and no longer takes ability penalties for aging. Any such penalties she has already taken remain. Bonuses still accrue, and the monk still dies of old age when her time is up.

Power Points/Day
The Monk's base number of Power Points is detailed on the table. She also receives bonus power points for having a high Wisdom score, and may also receive bonus points from a racial bonus, certain magical items, etc.

Powers Known
The number of psychic powers known by the Monk is detailed on the table. Choose the powers from the Psychic Warrior Power List (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powerList.htm#psychicWarriorPowers), which is modified as follows:

Level 1
Biofeedback, Burst, Catfall, Conceal Thoughts, Dissipating Touch, Elfsight, Empty Mind, Float, Flurry of Blows**, Grip of Iron, Hammer, Metaphysical Claw, Defensive Precognition, Offensive Precognition, Offensive Prescience, Skate, Stunning Fist**, Synesthete, Thicken Skin, Vigor

Level 2
Animal Affinity, Body Adjustment, Body Equilibrium, Body Purification, Chameleon*, Compression*, Psionic Darkvision, Detect Hostile Intent, Empathic Transfer, Specified Energy Adaptation, Feat Leech, Hustle, Painful Strike, Prowess, Psionic Lion's Charge, Strength of My Enemy, Sustenance, Thought Shield, Wall Walker

Level 3
Danger Sense, Empathic Feedback, Escape Detection, Expansion*, Inertial Armor*, Psionic Keen Edge, Psionic Levitate*, Mental Barrier, Ubiquitous Vision

Level 4
Concealing Amorpha*, Energy Adaptation, Dimension Slide*, Dimension Swap*, Ectoplasmic Form*, Psionic Freedom of Movement, Immovability, Inertial Barrier, Psychic Vampire, Quivering Palm**, Steadfast Perception

Level 5
Adapt Body, Catapsi, Psionic Dimension Door*, Oak Body, Psychofeedback

Level 6
Greater Concealing Amorpha*, Dispelling Buffer, Personal Mind Blank, Suspend Life

* This power is available to the Monk, but at a later level than it is normally available to the Psychic Warrior.
** New power exclusive to the Monk, detailed below:

Flurry of Blows
Psychometabolism
Level: Monk 1
Display: None
Manifesting Time: 1 swift action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Power Points: 1
If you've already made an attack this round using an unarmed strike, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, or siangham, you may make another attack. This bonus attack must use one of the weapons in the list above, but it does not have to be the same weapon that you already used to make an attack this round.
Augment: For every 4 additional power points that you spend on this power, you may make an additional attack with one of the specified weapons.

Stunning Fist
Psychometabolism
Level: Monk 1
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature Touched
Duration: 1 round
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Power Resistance: No
Power Points: 1
As part of manifesting this power, make a normal unarmed strike attack against a creature you threaten. If your attack hits and deals damage, the target must make a Fortitude save or be stunned for one round. If your attack misses or its damage is prevented, the power points you spent on this power are wasted.
Augment: For every 2 additional power points you spend on this attack, the Save DC is increased by 1.

Quivering Palm
Psychometabolism
Level: Monk 4
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature Touched
Duration: 1 day/level or until discharged
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Power Resistance: No
Power Points: 7
As part of manifesting this power, make a normal unarmed strike attack against a creature you threaten. If your attack hits and deals damage, the target is affected by the Quivering Palm. As long as the effect lasts, you may will the target to die as a free action, and it must succeed on a Fortitude saving throw or die. If your attack misses or its damage is prevented, the power points you spent on this power are wasted. Nonliving creatures and creatures immune to critical hits are immune to this power.
Augment: For every 2 additional power points you spend on this attack, the Save DC is increased by 1.

(Exception: The Expanded Knowledge feat can allow the Monk to learn powers that are not on her usual list.) A Monk can manifest any power that has a power point cost less than or equal to her manifester level (which is equal to her Monk level).

The Monk does not need to prepare her powers in order to manifest them, but she must get a full night's sleep in order to recover all of her PP each day. The number of powers she can manifest in a day is limited only by her daily supply of power points.

The DC for saving throws against the Monk's powers is 10 + the level of the power + the Monk's Wisdom modifier. A Monk's powers do not have a Display.

Each time the Monk learns a new power, the highest level of power that can be selected is shown on the table. The Monk must also have a Wisdom score of at least 10 + the power's level in order to learn a new power.

Draz74
2007-10-18, 08:25 PM
Any comments? Or is the Monk/Psychic Warrior combination just obvious enough that no one thinks it needs commenting?

Would you replace Monk with this in your campaign? Why or why not?

Arbitrarity
2007-10-18, 09:06 PM
I likes. I'm swiping this.

Oh, right, critique :smallbiggrin:

Ok so... You have the psychic warrior as your baseline. However, I'm thinking that the delayed power progression doesn't entirely balance the advantages gained. Barely. What it gets, looks like to me, is better skills, better saves, and evasion, along with wisdom to AC. That's about it, however, as the lack of armour and weapons balances pretty well with progression of other features.

The loss of 3 levels of halfish casting actually probably balances with that, not to mention the serious loss of power selections, but I still want to take out a feat or something somewhere.

This monk, however, clearly has a role, and that is of mobility, and rapid, deadly attacks. The decent number of "immunity" powers, mind blank, freedom of movement, and the "move" powers, like hustle and dimension door, mean it can move, and won't get hurt, like a normal monk. However, this is combined with the offense of a psychic warrior, and the power of repeatedly usable hits such as quivering palm. Flurry is now usable after a charge, after a move, and many other places, and there are quite a few powers with some decent offensive capability. I might add some more "claw" ish powers in, and just have them be extensions of unarmed attacks, so that they use your unarmed strike, for bit more directly damaging capacity.

Also, I like the flavor. It gives a good reason for the powers, and reflects the self control and understanding of the monk. Your average monk doesn't have to walk up walls, but it can.

Draz74
2007-10-19, 03:28 PM
Yeah, you've got the idea. The Monk has always gotten his powers beyond normal fighting from the strength of his will and the enlightenment that this gives him. So how is that different from Wisdom-based Psionics? Especially when a lot of the Monk's abilities always seemed like things that would be easily duplicable with psionic powers, and also seemed like things that should be optional rather than built into every Monk; for example Slow Fall, Abundant Step, and his normal speed boost.

I likes. I'm swiping this.

Oh good. That makes me feel much better about the couple hours I spent ironing it out.

Ok so... You have the psychic warrior as your baseline. However, I'm thinking that the delayed power progression doesn't entirely balance the advantages gained. Barely. What it gets, looks like to me, is better skills, better saves, and evasion, along with wisdom to AC. That's about it, however, as the lack of armour and weapons balances pretty well with progression of other features.
The loss of 3 levels of halfish casting actually probably balances with that, not to mention the serious loss of power selections, but I still want to take out a feat or something somewhere.

You've got the idea of the kind of balance I was trying to achieve here. So you think it's still just a tiny bit too strong? Hmmm. Here are some options:

Take away Inertial Armor, deciding that the Sixth Sense ability already gives the Monk all the defensive physical protection his mind can give him. This probably isn't enough, since he doesn't even get Inertial Armor until L10. And even then it's optional. But what do you think, should I take this power off his list?
Take away the Bonus Feat at Level 1. This wouldn't mess up the normal progression of Bonus Feats, and it wouldn't create a dead level either. And it would discourage dipping a bit. But it would slightly hurt your ability to "copy" the Core Monk using this class and picking certain powers, since you're not getting anything equivalent to the Core Monk's bonus feat at L1.
Psychic Warriors have a power that duplicates Evasion against one attack. I could put that power back on the list -- maybe even lowering it to a Level 1 Power -- and drop Evasion and Improved Evasion. The power in question pretty much never gets used, but maybe it would on a class that has a good Ref save. But that gives my Monk two dead levels.
4+Int skill points per level? That's always bothered me on the Core Monk, though. But maybe this one has enough going for it even if its skills aren't great.
Other ideas?

I might add some more "claw" ish powers in, and just have them be extensions of unarmed attacks, so that they use your unarmed strike, for bit more directly damaging capacity.

Probably wouldn't hurt anything, but I'm probably not going to do it anyway. Flavor just doesn't sit well with me. If you want more damage in your punch, you could use Dissipating Touch liberally. I never realized what a good power it is until I was making this class.

Also, I like the flavor. It gives a good reason for the powers, and reflects the self control and understanding of the monk. Your average monk doesn't have to walk up walls, but it can.

Yay for the Up the Walls feat. :smallamused:

Arbitrarity
2007-10-19, 06:47 PM
You've got the idea of the kind of balance I was trying to achieve here. So you think it's still just a tiny bit too strong? Hmmm. Here are some options:

Take away Inertial Armor, deciding that the Sixth Sense ability already gives the Monk all the defensive physical protection his mind can give him. This probably isn't enough, since he doesn't even get Inertial Armor until L10. And even then it's optional. But what do you think, should I take this power off his list?
Take away the Bonus Feat at Level 1. This wouldn't mess up the normal progression of Bonus Feats, and it wouldn't create a dead level either. And it would discourage dipping a bit. But it would slightly hurt your ability to "copy" the Core Monk using this class and picking certain powers, since you're not getting anything equivalent to the Core Monk's bonus feat at L1.
Psychic Warriors have a power that duplicates Evasion against one attack. I could put that power back on the list -- maybe even lowering it to a Level 1 Power -- and drop Evasion and Improved Evasion. The power in question pretty much never gets used, but maybe it would on a class that has a good Ref save. But that gives my Monk two dead levels.
4+Int skill points per level? That's always bothered me on the Core Monk, though. But maybe this one has enough going for it even if its skills aren't great.
Other ideas?

Probably wouldn't hurt anything, but I'm probably not going to do it anyway. Flavor just doesn't sit well with me. If you want more damage in your punch, you could use Dissipating Touch liberally. I never realized what a good power it is until I was making this class.

Yeah, probably right on the claws. Dissipating touch and psionic blow can duplicate those just fine, the monk doesn't need vampiric blows.

It's actually probably pretty well balanced. Depends, of course, on your standard, as might be expected. Casting is very powerful, and losing 3 effective levels of it HURTS, even if it's bard-like. Also, the limited list modifies things significantly, in power terms. Force screen? Not there. Inertial armour? There, but harder to augment. Inertial armour seems fine, seeing as it's delayed in acquiring, though the first feat might be something to take out. Skills are probably fine, they aren't exactly unbalancing, and allow for plenty of options. Evasion makes sense here, as it aids their defenses quite a bit.

Now, here's an odd one... how does this interact with the Monk's belt, or, alternatively, the Superior unarmed strike feat?