PDA

View Full Version : Dragons wielding magic items - Where & How?

Zhorn
2019-10-16, 12:54 AM
For context: "Old Snarl" Klauth, the Ancient Red Dragon in Forgotten Realms, wields two magic wands and does not transform into any special form to do so. He's a gargantuan dragon wielding two wands.

My mind asks 'how?', not in the sense of why he's allowed to, I'm pretty sure the big guy broke through the fourth wall, beat up the devs, and threatened to take their lunch money if they said a dragon dual wielding wands of fireballs and lightning bolts wasn't legit.

I want to know under what function of carry/holding/directing he is wielding the wands when using them.
My brain cannot shake the image of Kauth's massive claws delicately pinching a regular sized wand between two claws each as if he's preparing to conduct two orchestras at once.

Where WOULD he be keeping his magic items, and would he wield them in the same manner as we'd expect a humanoid would when using them?

Luccan
2019-10-16, 01:03 AM
Previous editions (or at least 3rd edition) established dragons as having fine enough motor skills in their claws to make use of magic items that had to be held to be used. There's also at least one dragon that had wands grafted directly into their wings (can't remember the setting).

Not really sure where he'd keep them... Could be a satchel tie around one leg or the neck?

HappyDaze
2019-10-16, 01:10 AM
Where WOULD he be keeping his magic items, and would he wield them in the same manner as we'd expect a humanoid would when using them?

Ever see those people that hold a cigarette/toothpick/piece of straw with their lips even while talking? It's like that.

Envyus
2019-10-16, 01:38 AM
Klauth is stated to keep his wands on the tips of his wings.

He was also actually nerfed his original article states he had six wands on his wings.

Klauth's Magic

Old Snarl is thought to have a generous number of magic items and known spells. Although he possesses more wands than his wings usually sport, changing them is a long and tiresome matter of linking and controlling spells that must be broken and then cast anew. From many accounts (given by adventurers, mages, and observers Volo judged not to be fabricating or exaggerating too badly), a tentative "roster" of the wing-wands employed by Klauth can be assembled. It's important to remember that the wing-wand list given here is quite likely to contain one or more errors.

On Klauth's left wing:

1. Outermost: wand of ice storm
2. Mid-mount: wand of fireballs
3. Innermost: wand of polymorph other

On Klauth's right wing:

4. Outermost: wand of hold person
5. Mid-mount: wand of lightning bolt
6. Innermost: wand of dispel magic

The linkages Klauth has established (by still-secret spells developed by the old wyrm) enable him to employ the effects of Alaunghaer's triptych spells at will (in other words, activating multiple items without actually casting the triptych spell) activate wands #1, #2, and #4 in unison, or trigger wands #3, #5, and #6 together.

Luccan
2019-10-16, 02:15 AM
Klauth is stated to keep his wands on the tips of his wings.

He was also actually nerfed his original article states he had six wands on his wings.

Oh, so it was the one from the OP, go figure

Tetrasodium
2019-10-16, 02:57 AM
For context: "Old Snarl" Klauth, the Ancient Red Dragon in Forgotten Realms, wields two magic wands and does not transform into any special form to do so. He's a gargantuan dragon wielding two wands.

My mind asks 'how?', not in the sense of why he's allowed to, I'm pretty sure the big guy broke through the fourth wall, beat up the devs, and threatened to take their lunch money if they said a dragon dual wielding wands of fireballs and lightning bolts wasn't legit.

I want to know under what function of carry/holding/directing he is wielding the wands when using them.
My brain cannot shake the image of Kauth's massive claws delicately pinching a regular sized wand between two claws each as if he's preparing to conduct two orchestras at once.

Traditionally most dragons could take on a humanoid form at will as a SLA (spell like ability) or just polymorph spell. Also though... even though he still sounds pretty insane by absolute morality, his power scale here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20030226a) sounds like he's a lot closer to Eberron's Dragons than most of the disorganized nearly feral by comparison dragons of FR.

If he was holding a "wand" as a dragon... the progression goes like this Wand>Rod>Staff>Siege Staff. Siege staffs were to some degree implied to originally be reverse engineered from things found in the ruins of the giant empire of Xendriik & the giant empite of xendriik was taught the secrets of magic by The Dragons... What a Dragon far enough up the power scale tp be anywhere near Eberron's Dragons calls a "wand" could easily be classed in the "Eldritch machine" category or just described as being multiple wands by a humanoid who didn't know better & wasn't relevant enough to waste time correcting

:D

Spiritchaser
2019-10-16, 04:54 AM
He keeps the wands tucked like decorations under the hatband of his fedora when he’s not using them.

What?