PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about spiders?

Serpentine
2007-10-17, 04:36 AM
Cuz this one's acting really weird...
It started... probably around a week ago. This huntsman was roaming around the loungeroom roof for a while. Eventually, it stopped nearly over the couch, and kinda curled up. It stayed like that for at least one day, all curled up and just sitting their. I figured it must've been dead, or on its way there, and was vaguely looking forward to it falling on the cat. Turns out I was mistaken, as it disappeared, and I found no sign of it on the floor or anywhere else. A few days later (specifically, the day before yesterday), it (I assume it's the same one) appeared in the study nook and was running around the place very energetically, as anyone who was talking to me online at the time may remember. I don't think I've ever seen a spider so mobile. Then the next day, it was on the roof near my computer, looking very sad. It eventually slipped off the beam and hung by a web, curled up. Again, I figured it had shuffled off its mortal coil. After a while, it scared the hell out of me when it landed quite literally head-first on my desk, stayed upright for a moment, wriggled, and fell over onto its back. It wriggled some more, and then stayed still and curled up. And again, I figured it was done for. And again, it seems, I was wrong. It's still lying there, on its back, curled up, but every now and then - say, when I blow on it - it opens up its legs and makes a grab for the NWN2 case that's hanging over it. Sometimes it hold on, and I think it's gonna go for a roam again, but then it drops down on its back again.
So. What the heckers is going on with this damnable arachnid? Is it, as I keep surposing, on its way out? Or is this some sort of weird hybernation thing or something?

phoenixineohp
2007-10-17, 04:54 AM
No idea. Just shuffle it off it's mortal coil now, and mystery solved.

(I do not endorse the killing of almost any animal. However, exceptions include spiders, earwigs, those house centipedes and silverfish off the top of my head. There is a strict death penalty for stepping more than 6 legs into my house.)

Serpentine
2007-10-17, 04:56 AM
Ugh, earwigs. I don't know why, but I really don't like 'em. But I don't mind spiders, except when they're big and heavy and walking over my head and so likely to fall on me, or big and close to me. I dunno. It's just weird.

FdL
2007-10-17, 06:15 AM
She's actually going for the NWN2 box? Clearly that's a signal that it must be disoriented :p

North
2007-10-17, 06:30 AM
Ick im incredibly surprised that you havent squished it yet. I still carry a touch of bugphobia and even reading about it gives me the willies. *brr*

Thats one of the great things about winter up here is that it really helps keep the insect population down.

Brickwall
2007-10-17, 06:46 AM
A huntsman? Those are poisonous, not deadly, though. Kill it, but be careful. And get it in one shot.

Logic
2007-10-17, 07:04 AM
I am attempting to get over my fear of spiders. I no longer kill any spider I see, and only even refrain from killing the ones in my own home, unless I can identify it as a dangerously poisonous variety. Otherwise, I try not to bother them.

Mordokai
2007-10-17, 07:16 AM
Real or painted? What da ya say? (http://www.globalpsychics.com/enlightening-you/dreams/spiders.jpg)

Those with severe case of arachnofobia don't click it.

Personally, I'm quite fond of spiders. Not to the point of the guy in the picture, but I really like them. Fly, now there's a bug I can't stand.

On topic, maybe this spider of yours is hight. You keeping any "substances" hidden that he might find?

Serpentine
2007-10-17, 07:39 AM
On topic, maybe this spider of yours is hight. You keeping any "substances" hidden that he might find?
If that's it, I certainly don't know where she's getting it :smalltongue:
I'd like to point out that I'm not worried about it now. The other night I had to leave my computer for a while cuz it was wandering over my head, but now it's just confusing me. Violence is entirely unnecessary now.

Simius
2007-10-17, 08:47 AM
A huntsman? Those are poisonous, not deadly, though. Kill it, but be careful. And get it in one shot.

Brickwall, she lives in Australia. Everything is poisonous there.

Serpentine
2007-10-17, 08:49 AM
Especially the octopuses.
o.O

Solo
2007-10-17, 09:26 AM
If that's it, I certainly don't know where she's getting it :smalltongue:
I'd like to point out that I'm not worried about it now. The other night I had to leave my computer for a while cuz it was wandering over my head, but now it's just confusing me. Violence is entirely unnecessary now.

That's only one man's opinion!

Serpentine
2007-10-17, 09:30 AM
:smallconfused:
Woman's.

And it's my spider, I'll do what I want with it. So ner :smalltongue:

ocato
2007-10-17, 09:32 AM
If an australian spider gets in your home, murder it. If what I've heard about australian animals is true, you should face any spider, snake, or tiny person you see there with a machete and something flamable. This has been Ocato's facetious american opinion of the week. Also ocato's probable misspelling of facetious.

PS: Serp, please change your avatar back before someone's eyes bug out of their head. For the good of the land!

Sir_Norbert
2007-10-17, 09:35 AM
If you have any spiders you don't want, just put them in a box with plenty of nourishment for the journey and send them to me, I'd love to have them :)

Serpentine
2007-10-17, 09:40 AM
Occie: Aww, huntsmans aren't that bad. It's just not very nice when they come running down the wall at you... Or even better, along the arm of your chair at your elbow :smalleek: And not until after Halloween :smallbiggrin: :smalltongue: I must admit, though, I put it up much longer before Halloween than I meant to, as I thought it started a good couple of weeks earlier than it does >.<

Norbers: Right. Redbacks, whitetails and funnelwebs, on their way :smallwink: But I'm keeping the house spiders. They're handy to keep down the blow flies.

bluewind95
2007-10-17, 09:49 AM
...How can you keep yourself so calm with a SPIDER that close to you? I'd have screamed and run away from the place.

I guess you're sort of keeping it as a pet. :smalleek:

Trog
2007-10-17, 09:49 AM
No idea. Just shuffle it off it's mortal coil now, and mystery solved.

(I do not endorse the killing of almost any animal. However, exceptions include spiders, earwigs, those house centipedes and silverfish off the top of my head. There is a strict death penalty for stepping more than 6 legs into my house.)

Ditto. Spiders are for sqwooshin'

Serpentine
2007-10-17, 09:51 AM
Well, there is the fact that it now only moves very very slighly if I blow on it. Also, when it was running around the place the other day, there was quite a bit of yelling and getting out of the way.

Solo
2007-10-17, 10:01 AM
Approximately how big is this spider?

Serpentine
2007-10-17, 10:19 AM
Its legs are all curled up now, but the body, at its biggest... about 1cm x maybe a little over 2cm. I think each leg is about as long as or slightly longer than its body, so around 5 or 6cm toe to toe.

Alright, since you asked...
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/photos/squitta.jpg

Also, since I like messing with arachnophobes... :smallbiggrin:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/photos/squittaface.jpg

Trog
2007-10-17, 10:38 AM
Not flat enough. Try getting it down to about 1 mm high. Use a boot if necessary.

bluewind95
2007-10-17, 11:00 AM
Maybe it's an old spider that's dying?

Serpentine
2007-10-17, 11:01 AM
That's what I thought. About... 3 times :smallconfused:
Hrm. I was gonna say it's properly stopped moving now. Then I poked it with a pen...

bluewind95
2007-10-17, 11:02 AM
.... Don't tell me it jumped on your hand :smalleek:

Serpentine
2007-10-17, 11:03 AM
Egad, no! It just opened up a bit. Kinda like when you poke a sleeping cat.
>.>
Not that I'd ever do that.
<.<
>.>

Thes Hunter
2007-10-17, 11:11 AM
I

HOLY SPIDER BATMAN!

I am never living in Australia. :smalleek:

Serpentine
2007-10-17, 11:13 AM
As far as huntsmans (huntsmen?) go, it's... a little below average, I think.
Also, as far as spiders go, they're kinda friendly sorts of fellas. Sure, I freak out at the idea that it'll fall on me, but that's accompanied by a sort of affection for its clumsiness. One of the girls in my group has a "pet" one that hangs around her house. I think she calls it Frank or somesuch.

Trog
2007-10-17, 11:14 AM
HOLY SPIDER BATMAN!

I am never living in Australia. :smalleek:

*grabs the Flyswatter of Chivalrus Smiting. Smites*

bluewind95
2007-10-17, 11:14 AM
You poke sleeping cats? >.>

As for that spider... poor thing. It probably is dying. Or maybe it's the kind of spider that molts its skin and its current skin is just all stiff and it can't move much 'cause of it?

Serpentine
2007-10-17, 11:17 AM
Spiders moult? I didn't know that. I suppose all those shells I thought were just long dead ones could have been discarded skins... I don't know, though. And I would've thought it'd find a safer place to do so.

And no. I said I don't. Didn't you see? No cat-poking for me, nosireebob!
>.>

bluewind95
2007-10-17, 11:20 AM
I've heard that they do, but I'm honestly not 100% certain. That spider, if it is gonna molt, was probably silly to do it there. But then again... you haven't squished it or anything.

Oh, good. Poking cats is evil. Not that I do it, either. >.>

Thes Hunter
2007-10-17, 11:20 AM
*grabs the Flyswatter of Chivalrus Smiting. Smites*

Good because there is one waiting for you at home. Been meaning to tell you not to grab your ice scrapper. :smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2007-10-17, 11:44 AM
Hmm. I don't know if this works with spiders. But you know how after a really big meal, you get all bloated and tired? Maybe Ms. Spider caught something and was sleeping it off.

Mordokai
2007-10-17, 12:39 PM
For three days? :smallbiggrin:

Seriously, spiders aren't half that bad. Well, if they aren't black widows, offcourse.

And you wonder why guys don't trust womens? :smalltongue:

bluewind95
2007-10-17, 12:40 PM
Hmm... Now that you mention it... it DOES seem a good idea to eat your husband.

Solo
2007-10-17, 12:53 PM
Its legs are all curled up now, but the body, at its biggest... about 1cm x maybe a little over 2cm. I think each leg is about as long as or slightly longer than its body, so around 5 or 6cm toe to toe.

Alright, since you asked...

Also, since I like messing with arachnophobes... :smallbiggrin:

My diagnosis is that the spider is harmless and easily squishiable.

Castaras
2007-10-17, 01:24 PM
Ooo, small cute spider.

*huggles spider*

Sounds like it's going to die. Ignore it. Or sit there for hours watching it.

Which of course, I've never done.

<.<
>.>

Exeson
2007-10-17, 01:38 PM
Just put a cup or glass over it, slide some paper underneath, take it outside and deposit it. that way you get rid of the evil little bugger, but you don't have to kill him.

Castaras
2007-10-17, 01:45 PM
Why does everyone think they're evil? :smallconfused:

I never really found out why people hate spiders so much...sure they have 8 legs, are hairy and scuttle about the place. But they're more scared of you than you are of it.

And you can find cute spiders.

http://kozmicdreams.com/images2/smalls/tuftjs-7-25-07-front-3a-cro_small.jpg

I mean, isn't that sweet? Those cute little beady eyes...

And alot of people wouldn't actually realise it was a spider until they were told...:smallamused:

FdL
2007-10-17, 01:52 PM
Okay, that's some nasty spider you have, Serpentine. Now, I'd say that if you want to keep her as a pet you take it and put it somewhere you can know what she's doing. Like a transparent box or something. I personally wouldn't be comfortable knowing it's somewhere around me. Well, it's not that I'm afraid of spiders, but I don't like them. And I'd probably be unable to sleep knowing that a spider like that is around and could climb over me anytime. And maybe get into my mouth or something.

Solo
2007-10-17, 02:15 PM
Why does everyone think they're evil? :smallconfused:

I never really found out why people hate spiders so much...sure they have 8 legs, are hairy and scuttle about the place. But they're more scared of you than you are of it.

And you can find cute spiders.

http://kozmicdreams.com/images2/smalls/tuftjs-7-25-07-front-3a-cro_small.jpg

I mean, isn't that sweet? Those cute little beady eyes...

And alot of people wouldn't actually realise it was a spider until they were told...:smallamused:

Just because you shouldn't kill it doesn't mean you don't have to.

Simius
2007-10-17, 02:57 PM
Just because you shouldn't kill it doesn't mean you don't have to.

Yes, it does.
*promotes peace, love and happiness*

Castaras
2007-10-17, 03:17 PM
Yes, it does.
*promotes peace, love and happiness*

*and evil cults and cthuluoid monstrosities*

Serpentine
2007-10-17, 09:20 PM
Well, I think, finally, it's actually dead. Lying on its back, legs tightly curled up, not moving no matter how much I poke at it. Poor Squitta. Rest in peace little dude/tte :smallfrown:

Tor the Fallen
2007-10-17, 09:29 PM
I'm thinking it may be different spiders. You could put it in a jar, or better, dab some paint on it. Different colors for different spiders! Then you can begin naming them.

Also; what was the span of time you saw these spiders over? Time of day?

Serpentine
2007-10-18, 08:38 AM
Wellity. I'm proud of myself. I did something I think was very brave of me. I gritted my teeth, rallied my courage, and did something I never really thought I could. What did I do and why did a do it, you ask?
This:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/photos/squittadead.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/photos/squittadead2.jpg
And to make the arachnophobes shudder :smallbiggrin:
Yes. It's quite definitely dead now.

banjo1985
2007-10-18, 08:51 AM
Aww poor little spider, I thought it was just shedding it's skin!

It has to be said I'd have difficulty picking one of them up, even a dead one. I don't think I have arachnophobia, seeing any spider doesn't scare me...that doesn't stretch to picking up big ones though :smalleek:

Trog
2007-10-18, 08:57 AM
*Wielding the flyswatter of chivalrousness Trog SMITES!!!! the big, hairy spider!*

Oops. That was on your hand wasn't it? Er... it'll be okay just... um... flick the bits off into the trash there... oops they're sticking... the guts must be very viscous... you er... missed a leg there... there you go. All better.

Serpentine
2007-10-18, 09:06 AM
:smalleek:

:smallfrown:

ouch

MR.PIXIE
2007-10-18, 09:31 AM
I have a colletion of orb-weaver spiders, at least 20 diferent kinds.
there about as big as golf balls( legs included), i hold them, feed them and clean the web farms everyday. there really quite cool.

The Prince of Cats
2007-10-18, 09:55 AM
My wife loves spiders, so I just have to deal with her collection. They seem to love the toilet, so I can't pee without at least three sets of eyes watching me.

I have tried explaining that Anansi is not a model house-guest, but she is having none of it. I hate flies more than I hate spiders, I hate mosquitoes more than I hate most living things. Living next to a river, I suppose spiders eat the mosquitoes and I get to live relatively un-bitten through summer.

That huntsman does look kind of cute, compared to the strange long-legged beasts I see all the time. Most spiders have their place in my home. (turns out even black widows are the natural prey of certain species of more friendly spider)

bluewind95
2007-10-18, 12:05 PM
You.... grabbed... the... spider... :smalleek:

Exeson
2007-10-18, 04:08 PM
I have a colletion of orb-weaver spiders, at least 20 diferent kinds.
there about as big as golf balls( legs included), i hold them, feed them and clean the web farms everyday. there really quite cool.

This:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/photos/squittadead.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/photos/squittadead2.jpg
And to make the arachnophobes shudder :smallbiggrin:
Yes. It's quite definitely dead now.

:smalleek: You....you.... you people are CRAZY!

MR.PIXIE
2007-10-18, 05:32 PM
theres only two types of poisonous orb weaver: the black widow, and the japanes[sp?] silk spider( this one i dont have)

eidreff
2007-10-18, 06:32 PM
Not sure, all the spiders round here are no risk to person or beast, but maybe yours is a Mrs Spider and has lots of little baby spiders ready to lay in a cute little silky egg-sac?

I really don't know enough about spiders! *goes to read wikipedia*

Jorkens
2007-10-18, 07:35 PM
I never really found out why people hate spiders so much...sure they have 8 legs, are hairy and scuttle about the place.
I think you might have the answer right there.

But they're more scared of you than you are of it.
This is a good and natural state of affairs. And I know a good way to make sure they stay scared of you. Rolled up newspapers are involved.

thubby
2007-10-18, 07:55 PM
i generally don't have a problem with spiders but I definitely would have ended or at least moved that thing by now, put in in a box and throw it in the woods or something.
maybe its playing dead is part of how it gets food?

heffroncm
2007-10-18, 07:57 PM
Weighing in my two cents. I love spiders, and all other sorts of creepy crawlies. My little brother and I had quite the collection going. Recently, however, I have taken to smiting any and everything I see that has the least potential to be the tiniest bit dangerous or irritating to a human.

See, I brought my daughter home about 4 months ago. Her protection and comfort are much more important to me than the protection and comfort of my multilegged friends. As such, I exercise my position at the top of Earth's food chain.

Lord_Kimboat
2007-10-18, 08:23 PM
I'm weighing on the pro spider side. Mosquitoes kill more people than all venomous creatures combined thanks to malaria and other diseases they carry. If letting a few spiders share a tiny little bit of space in my house keeps even a few of those buzzing bloodsuckers away it's definitely worth it!

As for Australian spiders, actually despite the wonderful array of venomous beasties we have here, the spiders are relatively benign. There are only really three dangerous spiders in the country. The Funnel Web, which is aggressive, dangerous and a great big beastie. However, you pretty much always see the thing coming and lets face it, I'm a tool user and am pretty sure I can kill it far before it becomes really dangerous to me. Also, they generally don't come this far south.

The next is the Red Back, which is small and alarmingly common. However it's a pretty lazy spider and you'd have to really provoke it to get bitten. It's poison isn't even all that bad and as a full grown adult I'd have to get bitten a lot to be in any real danger. Also, the bright red coloring on their back makes it fairly easy to spot.

The last is the White Tail which isn't really venomous but 'can' cause a flesh eating disease in the skin. Unpleasant certainly but hardly likely to be life threatening.

In short, I consider that spiders have more to fear from me accidentally crushing them just moving around, than I have to fear from them.

Huntsmen venom is weak enough that I'd be more frightened of the massive syringe necessary to cause me any real harm. Further, Huntsmen are real cowards despite their size.

Serpentine, I think Squitta was probably on her way out when you first saw her but something (I'm guessing a Daddy Long Legs) probably attacked her which saw the burst of movement you observed. That probably pushed her over the edge and she was definitely dying from that time. My condolences on your loss.

Serpentine
2007-10-18, 09:55 PM
You.... grabbed... the... spider... :smalleek:
Actually, I very gingerly picked it up by the leg and then dropped it as soon as I was done.

theres only two types of poisonous orb weaver: the black widow, and the japanes[sp?] silk spider( this one i dont have)
Huh. I didn't know the black widow was an orb weaver. I know two sorts we have here, the more spectacular of which, the golden orb weaver, is big and beautiful and makes these absolutely huge webs (usually right where you want to walk >.<) tinged with gold.

Not sure, all the spiders round here are no risk to person or beast, but maybe yours is a Mrs Spider and has lots of little baby spiders ready to lay in a cute little silky egg-sac?
I did think of that when it was running around the place... It wouldn't surprise me if there's a little bundle of joy up in the rafters somewhere (this part of the house has original wooden shingles and whole branch/tree beams, so there's plenty of hideyholes).

The last is the White Tail which isn't really venomous but 'can' cause a flesh eating disease in the skin. Unpleasant certainly but hardly likely to be life threatening.
Serpentine, I think Squitta was probably on her way out when you first saw her but something (I'm guessing a Daddy Long Legs) probably attacked her which saw the burst of movement you observed. That probably pushed her over the edge and she was definitely dying from that time. My condolences on your loss.
The whitetail thing probably isn't true. Apparently most of the sores diagnosed as "white tail bites" are actually just skin ulcers caused by other things. It's possible that a bite could get infected if it isn't treated properly, but that's about it. There's an old one-legged aboriginal guy in Wodonga who tells all the foreign students about how he had to get his leg amputated after a whitetail spider bite. My mum (GP) knows his doctor, and it seems he lost his leg because he didn't look after his diabetes.
There was at least a day between it disappearing from the loungeroom roof and appearing, very energetically, in the study nook. There are lots of daddy long legses around here though, so it is a possibility.
By the way, I knows Swan Hill! Had to go through there once or twice going from Kaniva to Tallangatta.

evisiron
2007-10-18, 11:39 PM
Bluewind beat me to my own conclusion!

I was considering the 'new skin' side, except it dulled down again. Still, it may have just been enjoying its new freedom :smallbiggrin:

Now I am thinking 'temperature'. Since spiders dont have a circluatory system as such, it could just be slowing down when it gets cold. This could either be because:
1. We are moving towards winter
or
2. It is going too close to the AC unit and getting 'chilled'.

Whats the AC setup in the room? (I am also thinking about the computer fans and such)

evisiron
2007-10-18, 11:47 PM
Just put a cup or glass over it, slide some paper underneath, take it outside and deposit it. that way you get rid of the evil little bugger, but you don't have to kill him.

Ok, just realised how redundantly late my reply was.

But hey, spot the phil Jupitus fan! ^^

Serpentine
2007-10-19, 12:29 AM
1. We are moving towards winter
or
2. It is going too close to the AC unit and getting 'chilled'.
1. I'm in Australia. We're moving towards summer :smalltongue:
2. I don't have an AC, and it hasn't been anywhere near the computers themselves as far as I know.

Although it's well dead now, I am still curious about why it seemed to be dying before then apparently perked up so dramatically.

teratorn
2007-10-19, 02:05 AM
I did think of that when it was running around the place... It wouldn't surprise me if there's a little bundle of joy up in the rafters somewhere (this part of the house has original wooden shingles and whole branch/tree beams, so there's plenty of hideyholes).

Probably it's too late to check if it was a male. It's rather easy to see. Spiders have specialized legs in their front (besides the regular 8) called pedipalps. Male spiders have broad tips (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Pedipalps-explain.jpg) on their pedipalps, females pedipalps are generally smaller and have skinny tips. Depending on the species these can be pretty big (in one species the male rips one of his own pedipalps off so he can run faster).

In about a month houses here are invaded by big hairy spider males. It's the matting season and males go around looking for females and enter people's homes. They're harmless and don't last long (they die in the same fashion yours did).

MR.PIXIE
2007-10-19, 08:33 AM
Huh. I didn't know the black widow was an orb weaver. I know two sorts we have here, the more spectacular of which, the golden orb weaver,
sure... its big, has that shape, and spins spectacular webs with cool desines.
oh... if you think the golden ones are cool, wait till you see a marbled one.
AND... if you toss up bugs into any spider web( orb weavers) every day they get to be as big a golf balls:smallbiggrin: