PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Optimizing Half Orcs?

Citadel97501
2019-10-16, 01:06 PM
Hello all, I have been playing 5e for some time and discussing things on this board and with my fellow players and I was noticing the lack of optimization for half orcs. All in all they seem to be much better than previous editions and seem to be have great synergy with critical hit fishing, and or tanking but I was hoping to get some suggestions from you all if I missed anything.

Oh and oddly it does seem that they are better off with Great Axes than Great Swords due to their Savage Attack trait improving the damage averages a great deal.

CTurbo
2019-10-16, 01:21 PM
Be a Champion with a greataxe, a Barbarian with a greataxe, or a Champion/Barbarian with a greataxe

Expected
2019-10-16, 01:26 PM
It's not that they're not great for crit-fishing builds, but that Variant Human is just better. +1 to two different ability scores and a feat is hard to compete with.

My first character was a Half-Orc Champion Fighter wielding a Greataxe. It was optimal for the build I was planning (I didn't know that or try to optimize it at the time).

Willie the Duck
2019-10-16, 01:36 PM
It's not that they're not great for crit-fishing builds, but that Variant Human is just better. +1 to two different ability scores and a feat is hard to compete with.

That really depends on how far you play. The extra feat is great in that you get the feat at first level (and can thus plan around it), but the farther up you go, the less it matters (particularly if your further ASIs might well go into Str and Con anyways). That said, a lot of races are in neck-and-neck competition with Vumans in any feat-ful game.

Regarding half-orcs, there are really two things they are good at-- shoring up defense (i.e. mostly using them for the ability to survive hitting 0 hp without dropping), which is useful but not optimized, and crit-fishing. Either a champion for 19-20 crits or a barbarian for reckless-attack-based routine advantage. Usually with a great axe, although if your DM uses the more giving interpretation of Shield Master feat, a half-orc Champion with Shield Master and Prodigy:athletics and a one-handed weapon makes a pretty impressive build as well.

strangebloke
2019-10-16, 01:47 PM
Obligatory Bump to My Crit-Fishing Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?551329-Terrible-Terrible-Damage-A-Crit-Fishing-Mini-Guide)

Basically, if you're playing a class that uses strength and you will be getting lots of crits, they're pretty good, but they're pretty meh otherwise.

So barbarians, samurai, and champions, basically. Otherwise their features aren't really worth all that much.

KorvinStarmast
2019-10-16, 01:50 PM
although if your DM uses the more giving interpretation of Shield Master feat, a half-orc Champion with Shield Master and Prodigy:athletics and a one-handed weapon makes a pretty impressive build as well. My half orc Barbarian with Shield Master approves of this message. :smallsmile:

bid
2019-10-16, 08:06 PM
Oh and oddly it does seem that they are better off with Great Axes than Great Swords due to their Savage Attack trait improving the damage averages a great deal.
Not at all. It's been discussed before and losing .5 every time you hit isn't worth the 2.5 extra from crits.
(2d6 ~ 7 > 1d12 ~ 6.5 but 3d6 ~10.5 < 2d12 ~ 13)

Without champion improved critical, it's a loss for anything you hit below 15+. All the time
With champion improved critical, it's a loss for anything you hit below 9+. Same as AC13 at level 3, or AC15 at level 6.

So, it's a net loss.

Zerubbabel
2019-10-16, 08:27 PM
Zealot Barbarian and Fighter Samurai are my two favorite for half-orc. They're especially powerful in my games where we don't use feats, and particularly low level play.

Tanarii
2019-10-16, 08:47 PM
It's not optimizing the half Orc, but I've seen Half Orcs used by more than a few players to optimize their Valor Bard or Blade Warlock for hitting things really hard. Although Mountain Dwarves are more popular for the latter, because of Medium Armor Proficiency

Warlush
2019-10-17, 10:35 AM
I love a Half-Orc Bard of Valor with expertise Athletics, the Enhance Ability spell, and the Shield Master feat. All the melee fun of a sheild bashing fighter with all the fun of full casting! And you can still make all the maidens swoon with your music/CHA skills.

stoutstien
2019-10-17, 10:46 AM
Hello all, I have been playing 5e for some time and discussing things on this board and with my fellow players and I was noticing the lack of optimization for half orcs. All in all they seem to be much better than previous editions and seem to be have great synergy with critical hit fishing, and or tanking but I was hoping to get some suggestions from you all if I missed anything.

Crits in general aren't that powerful in 5e outside of things like sneak attack and smites. Double weapon damage dice is just kinda meh.
half orcs are a solid race but i think you are focused on the wrong part.