PDA

View Full Version : Bladesong spellbook archive Broken?

mouser13
2019-10-16, 01:55 PM
Well I never really looked though all the spells in the spell book archvie, I looked though and found bladesong http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010126a it seems petty broken. YOu hit any creature with weapon touch attack as a free action and they lose their turn(no saving throw). Dazed is very hard to be immune to as well.

Or I'm I missing something?

Buufreak
2019-10-16, 02:40 PM
It is a will negates. Second level spell you are looking at somewhere from 13 to 17 on the save. Not the hardest roll anyone has ever made.

Kalkra
2019-10-16, 03:13 PM
It is a will negates. Second level spell you are looking at somewhere from 13 to 17 on the save. Not the hardest roll anyone has ever made.

It seems the will save is for the weapon, not the creature.

Kaleph
2019-10-16, 03:22 PM
It seems the will save is for the weapon, not the creature.

I guess they considered it balanced since it needs a normal melee attack to work. Considering that "dazed" is hard to resist/be immune to, is a severely crippling condition, you get a free action every round to extend its duration by another round and that being gish is a thing, they were probably wrong.

PS is it 3.0? In that case any discussion on it is merely theoretical (or, more theoretical than usually), since it implicitly needs a conversion.

PS2 is it from the same series where guidance of the avatar came from?

ExLibrisMortis
2019-10-16, 04:52 PM
As written, bladesong is a bit OP in the hands of a gish, yes, since it allows no save or SR. It is probably an older version of bladeweave (SC), which is more balanced, and probably should be used as canonical replacement. Both spells daze one target per round for one round each time, but bladeweave allows the target to resist the effect. Unlike bladesong, which grants a bonus non-damaging attack if you use the weapon in melee, bladeweave simply lets you choose one target you've hit in melee this round, which is much simpler, though bladesong does have the advantage that you can "use your weapon in melee" against a target with very low AC (or just use it, and fail), and then apply the daze to a target with very high AC and much lower touch AC.

Thurbane
2019-10-16, 04:54 PM
It's 3.0 material, so DM approval for any updates would be required, but generally any un-updated 3.0 material is fair game. I don't see anything in this spell that mechanically requires updated, other than the casting time being changed from "1 action" to "1 standard action".

This spell looks to have been updated as Bladeweave in Complete Adventurer, where it functions much as the web version (but spells out a will save against the dazing, is a swift action casting time, and is personal only); the reprint of Bladeweave in Spell Compendium then nerfed it significantly (no extra attack).

Of course, since the name differs, RAW technically says it isn't the same spell, so Bladeweave doesn't replace Bladesong by letter of the law.

FWIW, in my games I'd probably say that Bladesong is superseded and replaced by Bladeweave (SC version).