PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Mini-meditations - swordsage refresh feats

Elves
2019-10-16, 08:43 PM
Just a minor thought. I'll be adding more with higher level reqs -- a healing one, some discipline ones, etc -- but may as well just post this now and bump it later when I add them.

----

Swordsages’ full round action refresh time makes refreshing in-combat prohibitive. By taking one of these feats, refreshing in combat can become more viable.

• If you have multiple feats of this type you can combine their benefits when refreshing. [Or maybe you shouldn't be able to?]

• The on-refresh effects of these feats are always optional -- you choose whether to employ them when you refresh your swordsage maneuvers.

• If you have the Adaptive Style feat, you can benefit from the effects of these feats when readying your maneuvers as well as when refreshing them.

Trouncing Meditation

When you re-center yourself, you strike a rigid and attenuated pose. If your enemies think you pausing means they can get past you, their presumption will be met with immediate smacks — jabs you send so fast they seem to come out of nowhere.

Prereq: Swordsage level 1st

Benefit: After you refresh your swordsage maneuvers, 5-foot steps provoke attacks of opportunity from you until the start of your next turn, and the first successful attack of opportunity you make before the end of your next turn deals double damage. Opponents are not automatically aware of this feat’s effects.

Sensational Flourish

You re-center yourself with a fast dramatic series of flourishes or steps.

Benefit: When you refresh your swordsage maneuvers, you may take two five foot steps, even if you’ve already moved this round. You also gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC until the end of the round.

Special: Sensationsal Flourish can be used in place of Dodge for the sake of qualifications and requirements.

Ki Charge-Up

You recenter yourself by pressing your hands together or making another locked gesture and focusing as your ki power accumulates.

Effect: When you refresh your swordsage maneuvers, you may lose the ability to make attacks of opportunity until the start of the next round. In exchange, for each expended maneuver you refresh, you gain a stacking +1 bonus on attack rolls made as part of maneuvers you initiate on your next turn. If those maneuvers deal damage, then the first time they do so they deal additional untyped ki damage equal to your initiator level.

Special: The flurry of blows ability benefits from this feat as if it were a maneuver. If you flurry as part of a maneuver, the bonuses don't stack; the flurry benefit takes precedence.

Mystical Acrobat

You combine a swordsage’s study of the secret and sublime possibilities of motion with a performer’s delight in spectacle.

Prereq: Swordsage level 1st, bardic music ability, Perform (Dance) 6 ranks

Benefit: You may begin your inspire courage or fascinate bardic performance abilities as a free action when you refresh your swordsage maneuvers, or with a successful DC 22 Perform (Dance) check whenever you move with Tumble. Your bard and swordsage levels stack for the purpose of your inspire courage bonus.

Psychic Minitrance

You refresh your maneuvers by focusing inward, into the same mental depths from which your psychic powers spring.

Prereq: Swordsage level 1st, 2 power points

Benefit: When you refresh your swordsage maneuvers, you also regain your psionic focus.

Soulflow Center

You refresh your maneuvers by harmonizing and realigning how your soul energy flows through your chakras.

Prereq: Swordsage level 1st, 1 essentia

Benefit: When you refresh your swordsage maneuvers, you may also reinvest your essentia.

Chakric Arcana

As you refocus, swirls of arcane energy loop around you.

Prereq: Swordsage level 3rd, ability to cast 1st level arcane spells

Benefit: TBA

Not much there for now, but feel free to suggest effects for feats in this mould or add your own.

nxwtypx
2019-10-18, 02:27 PM
Sensational Flourish seems a bit powerful for my tastes, but I do really like the others.

How do these interact with Adaptive Style?

noob
2019-10-19, 02:15 AM
I suggest to make so that users of the ki charge up feat can decide to not trigger the ki charge state when refreshing maneuvers.

Elves
2019-10-19, 11:09 AM
Sensational Flourish seems a bit powerful for my tastes
I'll make the dodge bonus non-scaling.

How do these interact with Adaptive Style?
Good point - RAW it wouldn't since Adaptive Style isn't a refresh action, but that makes these less appealing. I'll put in a special clause.

I suggest to make so that users of the ki charge up feat can decide to not trigger the ki charge state when refreshing maneuvers.
I'll add in a clause that the effects of these feats are always optional.