PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Bystander [joke 3.5 base class] [PEACH]

kinem
2019-10-16, 09:17 PM
Bystander [joke 3.5 base class]

HD: d12
BAB: Poor (l/2 Level)
Good saves: Fort, Reflex, Will
Skill points: 4 per level (x4 at 1st level)

Class skills: Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Any) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Use Rope (Dex).

Level Class Features:
1 Sanctuary SLA, Improved Total Defense
2 Innocence +1
3 Evasion
4 Uncanny Dodge
5 Innocence +2
6 Sneak Defense -1d6
7 Improved Toughness [Bonus Feat]
8 Improved Uncanny Dodge
9 Innocence +3
10 Improved Evasion
11 Repulsion SLA
12 Sneak Defense -2d6
13 Innocence +4
14 Great Fortitude [Bonus Feat], Mettle
15 Lightning Reflexes [Bonus Feat]
16 Iron Will [Bonus Feat]
17 Innocence +5
18 Sneak Defense -3d6
19 Mind Blank (self only) SLA
20 Prismatic Sphere SLA

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
A Bystander is proficient with all armor and shields, but not with weapons.

SLA: The Bystander can cast the given Spell-Like Ability at will as a standard action. The save DC is Cha based.

Improved Total Defense: When using the Total Defense action, the Bystander gets a Dodge bonus to AC equal to 4 + class level instead of the usual 4.

Innocence: The Bystander gains the listed bonus on AC, saving throws, Spell Resistance if the Bystander has any, and Bluff checks against attacks, spells, or other abilities used by anyone who the Bystander has never attacked or used a spell or ability to directly damage. The passage of time does not restore the bonus unless both the other person and the Bystander no longer remember what the Bystander did. Indirect damage that involves the agency of another (such as concealing a pit that another walks into, or summoning a monster who attacks) does not count for this purpose, but inadvertent damage does (such as that caused by casting a fireball into an area that the Bystander thought was unoccupied).

Sneak Defense: Whenever the Bystander is using a Total Defense action, when he takes damage he can roll the given dice and reduce the amount of damage taken by that number. This does not stack with Damage Reduction (use the better value) but applies to all forms of attack.

pi4t
2019-10-21, 02:20 PM
Improved total defence should specify that it replaces the normal ac bonus. As written you'd technically get two Dodge bonuses for using total defence and they would stack.

noob
2019-10-21, 03:58 PM
So monk 2?

kinem
2019-10-21, 08:03 PM
pi4t: Thanks, I fixed it. I think the intent was obvious, but you're right, unless made explicit some rules lawyer is bound to come along and cheese out the class.

Any other comments?

I don't think the class is completely useless. Under the right circumstances it could be a durable messenger, a platform for attack forms that don't require standard actions or more, or able to draw attacks away from others.

Vaern
2019-10-24, 09:14 AM
I'm not seeing the Hide In Plain Sight ability anywhere. Seems like something it should have.

kinem
2019-10-24, 09:53 AM
Vaern: A true bystander is no spy; he stands around where the action is, and is seen there, yet takes no action himself 😀

Vaern
2019-10-24, 11:04 AM
Fair enough. I guess I'm thinking of something more along the lines of the bards in JourneyQuest. Their job is to follow heroes of prophesy and record their exploits in the form of songs, poems, and plays, but while doing so they can not be seen by the heroes and they can not interfere with the story or else they're at risk of losing their barding license.
I feel like having two abilities on the same class that both reduce damage but don't stack with each other seems like it would be mechanically clunky. I'd get rid of damage reduction and give them a bit more sneak defense. Maybe give them sneak defense at 4th level and an additional 1d6 every 4th level after that up to 5d6 at level 20.

kinem
2019-10-24, 08:53 PM
It was a bit redundant, so I swapped out the DR for an Innocence bonus, and restricted Sneak Defense to require use of Total Defense.