PDA

View Full Version : Artificer Battlesmith build help

Degwerks
2019-10-17, 09:36 AM
Thinking about making a Battlesmith character starting at 3rd level. Using a Variant Human for the bonus feat and choosing Polearm Master. My thought process was to get the Returning Weapon and Replicate Magic Item (Goggles of Night) infusions.

Using a spear & shield for combat with the option of throwing the Returning spear out to 20 feet if needed. Most likely using Arcane Weapon spell on it.

Any thoughts on this?

FilthyLucre
2019-10-17, 09:45 AM
Thinking about making a Battlesmith character starting at 3rd level. Using a Variant Human for the bonus feat and choosing Polearm Master. My thought process was to get the Returning Weapon and Replicate Magic Item (Goggles of Night) infusions.

Using a spear & shield for combat with the option of throwing the Returning spear out to 20 feet if needed. Most likely using Arcane Weapon spell on it.

Any thoughts on this?

That is indeed a thing you can do. However, you realize that a spear is not a polearm, right?

stoutstien
2019-10-17, 09:48 AM
That is indeed a thing you can do. However, you realize that a spear is not a polearm, right?

It was changed to count. So that part is RAW.

FilthyLucre
2019-10-17, 09:51 AM
It was changed to count. So that part is RAW.

Can you link me to the errata?

Contrast
2019-10-17, 09:55 AM
Can you link me to the errata?

Not sure if its the most up to date version but this (https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/PH-Errata.pdf) does include the PAM errata.

Edit - On topic, you may want to be picking up War Caster if you don't want to be doing hand swapping shenanigans every time you want to cast a spell. That or go for a crossbow build instead.

Rara1212
2019-10-17, 10:03 AM
Oooh, that's a good idea. Had the same idea of Googles of Night XD My plan was for a Warforged Envoy, getting Xbow expert, a hand-crossbow & the repeating shot infusion.
Yours gives more melee capabilities, and works out the box without needing a new weapon (or lvl 4)

Guessing you are gonna get 14dex, 16int and as high con as you can afford without dumping wis too low?
(Was about to write that your build costs str to use, but that's not true. Forgot the int to weapon hit/dmg for a second)

Not sure if the bonus action attack works with throwing the spear, but would be cool.

I like your build, not seeing any flaws. Will think for a bit, but it looks like you are good to go.

ImperiousLeader
2019-10-17, 12:32 PM
Are you planning on updating to the final Artificer when the Eberron book comes out next month?

Dork_Forge
2019-10-17, 12:44 PM
Not sure if its the most up to date version but this (https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/PH-Errata.pdf) does include the PAM errata.

Edit - On topic, you may want to be picking up War Caster if you don't want to be doing hand swapping shenanigans every time you want to cast a spell. That or go for a crossbow build instead.

Artificers actually Gish very well without Warcaster, every spell they cast requires tools as a focus but you can use an infused item (in this case the returning spear) as a spell focus. As you can perform the somatic component with the foci Warcaster becomes irrelevant for that part of the feat.

Dork_Forge
2019-10-17, 12:54 PM

Any thoughts on this?

I don't think PAM works particularly well with this build, the bonus attack has to be a melee attack so it doesn't sync with returning weapon and it would interfere with commanding your Iron Defender (it's bite attack is good enough to swap out the extra polearm attack anyway). Seeing as a spear doesn't give you reach, PAM just for the opportunity attack doesn't really seem worth it.

If you just want to use shield and spear then I'd suggest forgoing PAM and picking up something else (if you're going for a more melee based build then Martial Adept might come in handy or Tough is always good).

Otherwise handcrossbow with hxb expert and repeating shot is a solid option and in general Magic Initiate would be a nice casting boost. Depending on your stats Medium Armor Master is a great feat.

Sherlockpwns
2019-10-18, 12:40 AM
I concur Pam seems out of place here. There are lots of handy feats, but they basically define your character based on your stats. One likely and unusual pick could be Observant. Since you will have great int and could have decent Wis and dex... I've never seen someone take this, but +5 to passive perception and passive investigation and the ability to read lips (and +1 more to int) seems like it could work out... Unless your table is all combat, then I'd just take tough or sentinel or mobile and move on.

Now I want to roll up some noir detective, lol.

Degwerks
2019-10-18, 10:16 AM
My original plan was for Crossbow Expert but we already have an Archer Fighter in the party plus a sorcerer. Thought I could go melee with PAM & Returning Weapon if i couldn't get into melee range right away.

If I throw my spear i still have that bonus action to have my iron defender do something. Mainly in melee the defender will just Dodge and use his reaction. My bonus action attack will be +2 more to hit and deal Arcane Weapon damage if the spell is cast.

I might add in levels of Rune Knight now or Forge or Tempest Cleric.

Damon_Tor
2019-10-18, 11:40 AM
I don't think PAM works particularly well with this build, the bonus attack has to be a melee attack so it doesn't sync with returning weapon and it would interfere with commanding your Iron Defender (it's bite attack is good enough to swap out the extra polearm attack anyway). Seeing as a spear doesn't give you reach, PAM just for the opportunity attack doesn't really seem worth it.

I've always felt the opportunity attack was the better part of the feat. For many classes including an artificer, there are many good ways to use your bonus action, but opportunities to use your reaction are harder to come by.

In particular, this seems valuable for a frontliner who has fewer hitpoints than most. Having the defensive OA ability gives him a way to keep himself from getting swarmed by multiple guys.

I think the build works well in general, though I don't think he should be planning to throw the spear, and shouldn't use the returning infusion. It makes more sense to keep firebolt in your back pocket for when you need to make a ranged attack, and get yourself +1 to AC via infusion instead.

However, Once you hit level 9 the best bonus action for an artificer to use Magic Stone and hand them off to three Tiny Servants to throw, and at that point enemies who actually try to stand next to you are rather rare: either they stand back and shoot stuff at you or their reach is greater than 5 feet anyway. So if your campaign is going to get to this point you should reconsider whether the feat is worth it.

Dork_Forge
2019-10-19, 02:23 AM
I've always felt the opportunity attack was the better part of the feat. For many classes including an artificer, there are many good ways to use your bonus action, but opportunities to use your reaction are harder to come by.

In particular, this seems valuable for a frontliner who has fewer hitpoints than most. Having the defensive OA ability gives him a way to keep himself from getting swarmed by multiple guys.

I think the build works well in general, though I don't think he should be planning to throw the spear, and shouldn't use the returning infusion. It makes more sense to keep firebolt in your back pocket for when you need to make a ranged attack, and get yourself +1 to AC via infusion instead.

However, Once you hit level 9 the best bonus action for an artificer to use Magic Stone and hand them off to three Tiny Servants to throw, and at that point enemies who actually try to stand next to you are rather rare: either they stand back and shoot stuff at you or their reach is greater than 5 feet anyway. So if your campaign is going to get to this point you should reconsider whether the feat is worth it.

Whilst it may be the better part of the feat, at that point you're burning an entire ASI for that ability ONLY which is what makes it a turn off for me.

For the infusion there's no reason to not get both a weapon and a defensive invocation, unless you're handing them out to other people the class provides enough items.

As for the Bonus Action... I don't know about that, seeing as every subclass has a companionesqe ability. Directing your Iron Defender to attack (drawing aggro potentially) and giving you another chance to proc Arcane Jolt is more tempting than blowing your highest level slot and committing a cantrip known to it.