PDA

View Full Version : The Artificer Archivist, Artificial Mind question and wizard multiclassing opinions

Seekergeek
2019-10-17, 12:30 PM
Hey yall,

So I've been playing an artificer in a homebrew campaign. We're leveling pretty slowly (eight sessions in and just dinged to level 3), so I'm expecting to stay under level 10 for this campaign. My plan is to multiclass in to wizard at level 4, and my DM has decided to allow any spells cast to be eligible to be channeled through the artificial mind, not just artificer ones. In reading the class (here (https://www.dndbeyond.com/classes/artificer#top)), it appears concentration spells are fair game but I wanted to get a second opinion on that.

Otherwise is there a particular wizard subclass that would do best for this class pairing? My DM is encouraging me to go a blaster-route as we are pretty low on both AOE and ranged damage dealers (which is why I think he decided to allow wizard spells to be cast through the AM). We've got a druid/monk, a rogue/warlock, a champion fighter and a swords bard. My inclination is probably just straight evoker, but Lore wizard and the other UA nonsense is also on the table.

Evaar
2019-10-22, 08:18 PM
I think Evoker would make a solid choice. Sculpt Spell allows you to exclude allies from AOE spells, but not yourself. If you can cast through the Mind, however, there's no need to exclude yourself.

I don't think there are any subclasses that use bonus actions frequently (other than like dual wielding Bladesinger, but I don't think you're going that way), but keep in mind your bonus action will typically be reserved for moving the Mind around. So spells like Flaming Sphere that also want a bonus action might not be good for you.

Thematically, I could see a case for Conjurer, Transmuter, Enchanter, or Necromancer matching up with Archivist.

Seclora
2019-10-22, 09:43 PM
The Onomancer from the recent Wizard UA might be good, both have a very knowledge, words oriented nature. At higher levels they let you make spells deal psychic or force damage, which will be invaluable for blasting, and they can be effective at buffing, debuffing, and also can target people without seeing them as long as they know their name.

Any wizard can AoE, but Evokers and War Wizards do it best.