PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Need help pricing etc an esoteric magic item.

Evil DM Mark3
2019-10-17, 02:36 PM
OK, so this is mainly for completion's sake, but I need a cost and pre-requisits for a magic item. I created it for a game's Big Bag (Archihald, mentioned below) but in another game a player has expressed interest in getting one.

Glove of Inversion
First created for the Cleric Archihald the Deceiver to better allow him to pass as a cleric of Geldewin while fostering the false revolution in Meioria, this glove alters how its wearer channels energy. While its original purpose was deception many churches have started adopting them to better facilitate temple duties without lossing flexability in spell selection.

The glove itself is reversable and always worn on the dominant hand. To be of use to a cleric who channels possitive energy the black side must be visible, to be of use to a cleric who channels negative energy, the reverse must be true.

For as long as the Cleric wears the glove the correct way around they are considered to have the alternate version of the Channel Energy class feature, so a Cleric of an Evil deity would channel healing energy and be able to sponaniously cast healing spells.

CL ? Cost ? Pre-requisits ?

legomaster00156
2019-10-17, 11:24 PM
I would suggest limiting the uses per day, given the sheer versatility offered by the item. For example: "Up to three times a day, a cleric who channels positive energy can channel negative energy, or vice versa. Alternatively, a cleric can expend one of these uses to spontaneously convert any prepared spell into a Cure or Inflict Wounds spell of the same level or lower."

Vaern
2019-10-18, 06:05 AM
I would also limit it to a number of times per day. Or, perhaps, make it so that a cleric who normally channels negative energy can expend a prepared cure spell to heal with Channel Energy and a cleric who normally channels positive energy can expend a prepared inflict spell to deal damage with Channel Energy.

Also, cleric doesn't need to be able to cast cure or inflict spells spontaneously to pass as a cleric of the opposite alignment. There's nothing stopping them from simply by preparing a couple of the respective spells and casting them normally in order to keep up their ruse. It's their ability to channel energy that's going to blow their cover.

Evil DM Mark3
2019-10-18, 08:11 AM
Your comments are noted, as I said the original version of this was pure DM fiat for plot. Plus I wanted a full deck of spells onboard for the final fight.

I like the second suggestion a lot actually as it gives some sort of narrative logic to what the glove does, ie amplify the cure/inflict spell.

DracoDei
2019-10-18, 12:16 PM
The point about Channel Energy is true, and I approve of the change. However, this does bring up an important point of if it let one qualify for feats, PrCs, etc.

Unfortunately I don't have any ideas off-hand on the pricing, however I have two ideas for variations:
The first is that if this is used by infiltrators, it probably has a variation with a permanent Magic Aura on it, and/or an illusionary disguise. Shoot, the first thing I'd do as a researcher looking to better infiltrate my enemies would be to create a version that is TWO gloves, since there are a lot more magic pairs of gloves, so it is less unusual and thus likely to arrouse curiousity that could make it easier for investigators/witnesses to remember this important fact.

The second would be to split it into ~9 items, each of which has a limit on the spell slot level it can output (inputing higher-level slots and then bemoaning your poor luck with the amount of healing produced would still be an option), and the equivalent cleric level that the reversed Channel Divinity comes out as. I hope I said that clearer. I could write it up if necessary, but I am typing in an ergonomically bad position right now. Ask if you need it.

Edit: Isn't there a "Versatile Channeler" (NOT Selective Channeling or whataver the feat you use to avoid healing enemies/harming allies), that does something related to these effects? That could probably help with pricing if so.