The Giant
2006-03-10, 03:56 PM
New comic is up.

JazzManJim
2006-03-10, 03:59 PM
Yay! First non-Giant post!

"...life signs: negative..."

Now that's good stuff! :D

(Oh, and thank you Giant, for the afternoon update today! I"m going away for two weeks, and I won't be around a computer much, if at all. I was hoping to get one last OOtS fix in before I left! You rock, man.)

DArKandEViL
2006-03-10, 04:01 PM
Great Comic!!!

"nothing perrsonal tony" haha

TinSoldier
2006-03-10, 04:01 PM
Yay, comic is up!

It's nice to see some of the reader's guesses come true...

They're not going to be too happy to see Eugene back on the upper planes any time soon.

Maldeus
2006-03-10, 04:03 PM
Very funny comic today. You have a flair for storytelling, Giant.

Gengy
2006-03-10, 04:05 PM
Sweet.

Don't get your codpeice in a knot.

Priceless. I'm loving it, Rich.

haelyn
2006-03-10, 04:06 PM
aahahahahahahaha

Thanks, Giant. Awesome as usual...

Reivas_Genocai
2006-03-10, 04:07 PM
Haha

Awesome Giant, really good

TheJet31619
Yet another great comic Giant.

Does he get XP for that?

Kanashimi
awesome comic!

Cirin
2006-03-10, 04:09 PM
"do you get XP for killing this dramatic moment?"

Great line, and great comic.

Kusai
2006-03-10, 04:10 PM
Dun dun dun!!!

Jannex
Ah, exposition, and the difficulty in nomenclature concerning the state of being of the undead. Classic.

Jibar
One complaint.
What kind of name for a celestial is Tony!?

Praetorian
Yes!! Death to the dramatic moment!!

Hyrael
First Post of Second Page!

this is quite the treat. I thought I was going to have to wait until tonight to read the new comic.
Is that dramatic moment dead?
::pokes with stick::
yep, its dead.

Priceless. On the one hand, giant, you killed a dramatic moment and I dont know I I can ever forgive you for that >:( (Kidding ;)). but, on the other, much larger hand, you turned it into a VERY good punchline and alluded to Eugene's penchant for semantics and anal-retentiven blowhardness (first seen in OoPCs, I beleive).

I salute you
(there should be a 'salute' emoticon)

Archonic Energy
2006-03-10, 04:12 PM
he he he

another set of dead undead jokes...

Traend
2006-03-10, 04:12 PM
yep... shakespeare would have had a lot of trouble getting undead into his plays and keeping the drama... "to be or not to be... eh... or to sort of be or almost not be?"

;D

That Lanky Bugger
2006-03-10, 04:15 PM
Nicely done.

Kulatu
2006-03-10, 04:17 PM
Eugene: +50 XP! ;D

Two thumbs up once more, GJ!

snelson66
2006-03-10, 04:19 PM
I'm with Jibar on this? Tony?! Like an Italian mobster? Tony the Shiv... Tony the Snake... Tony the Tiger?!

ARMOURERERIC
2006-03-10, 04:19 PM
One complaint.

It's grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

Sorry couldn't pass it up.

Starla
2006-03-10, 04:20 PM
Wow 15 minutes and there is already 2 pages.

So is this the "undead, dead is alive" comic?

At last Roy knows that he is a supreme failure in his father's incoporeal eyes and now we know why he didn't tell Roy sooner about Xykon's phalactery. (sp?)

See Roy is truly like his father. His father sees him as he sees Elan--sort of. I think his father thinks Roy has more potential that he isn't using and that is why he keeps trying whereas Roy doesn't really try to give Elan any credit for his thinking abilities.

Neopolis
2006-03-10, 04:21 PM
Yeah, I thought it was Thog being tied up, but it was one of those Planetar Thor uses, eh?

And nice pun on the "Killing the moment":P

Xenon
2006-03-10, 04:21 PM
xp for killing the drama? hmm.. better not tell belkar about that one... he would get ideas.

pita
2006-03-10, 04:22 PM
What's the CR of a dramatic moment? Can't be high, since Eugene killed it by using a free action(speaking).
EDIT-I read a manga where the heroes beat the evil side of the hero, then there's a "moment", then one remembers the incantation to his spell, screams it out loud, and get punched by the knight for "ruining the moment."

evileeyore
2006-03-10, 04:22 PM
Woot! I manged to call it but mere moments before the Giant posted!

Yeah!

But sadly now my time here is done. I have fulfilled the greatest of things and can never do so agian. I must move on to new challenges now.

sniffles
2006-03-10, 04:23 PM
I'm going to have to join more forums. I need more places to use OotS quotes as my sig line. ;D

"I can't shake hands. I'm incorporeal." :D

Tomada
2006-03-10, 04:26 PM
"Do you get Xp for kiling this dramatic moment?"

NICE!

AND thanks for the early comics

EDIT: Typo

metalphil
2006-03-10, 04:27 PM
New comic is up.

Holy crap Giant! I haven't laughed that hard at anything in a long time. I love the qualifications.. "Do you get experience for killing this dramatic moment?" Awesome!!

;D

Nobody1225
2006-03-10, 04:29 PM
If there are XP awards for killing dramatic moments, I'm going to have to stop my players from reading. It's bad enough that they try to sneak in suprise attacks during the villain's monologues. (Grumble).

Great comic, as always!

brinoch
2006-03-10, 04:30 PM
Loved it... "technically he still dead, just not, you know, DEAD-dead." Hahahahaha! :D

The_Ducky_Ninja
2006-03-10, 04:32 PM
Congrats on 2 daytime comics in a row, as well as several laugh out loud moments.

On a separate note, am I the only one curious to see what havoc Elan is wreaking in Sapphire City?

Chlodwig
2006-03-10, 04:33 PM
Poor Tony. :)

Nighthawk4
2006-03-10, 04:34 PM
Another classic - 'Are you getting XP for killing this dramatic moment?' :D

Krytha
2006-03-10, 04:35 PM
hahaha I wish you could get xp for killing dramatic moments..

Ironfang
2006-03-10, 04:36 PM
Closest to 1st page I have ever been

Kresalak
2006-03-10, 04:37 PM
A dramatic moment is CR 2. As long as Eugene is level 10 or less, he'll get XP for it.

AmoDman
2006-03-10, 04:38 PM
TONY!!!! *sings* Hoooray for toonny (from the old frosted flakes commercial...).

codemartin
2006-03-10, 04:41 PM
Good comic gaint

me like Are you getting XP for killing this dramatic moment my favorate quote in a while.

Only person i know(roys day) that makes ghosts and afterlife seem normal.

Edit: Woot page 3

aaronbourque
2006-03-10, 04:50 PM
I can't shake hands. I'm incorporeal.

Perfect. So much for "Shojo's not senile."

:-)

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque

Melnor
2006-03-10, 04:52 PM
Yay for another great comic!

humanpylon
2006-03-10, 04:53 PM
And one more appearance of the flumph! :D

avalon_redmoon
2006-03-10, 04:53 PM
The new million dollar question...

Can one get XP for killing a dramatic moment? Hmmm...that's going to keep me up all night. :P

On another note, Roy's dad's attempted explanation of Xykon's status (living vs. dead vs. undead) reminded me of a similar event in a recent game:

Me: "Yay! I killed a zombie!"
My husband (DM at the time): "No you didn't."
Me: "Yes I did!"
My husband: "No...technically, he was already dead..."

That's when I chucked the dice at him. :o LMAO!

tiercel
2006-03-10, 04:54 PM
Ha! Not only is the line about XP for killing the dramatic moment great, it's great at least in part because exactly that happens so often in actual campaigns.

Let's face it, a lot of the time, in-game, we are trying to do something cool like we see in movies or read in books and yet *someone* always manages to pop the dramatic bubble, either because they are seeking advantage, or inadvertantly when they start tripping all over their own dialogue.

Having Eugene blow up his dramatic moment through his pedantry is classic (not to mention takes at least some of the sting out of his condemnation of his son's actions -- again handling a plausible and potentially serious family dynamic with The Funny).

Awesome, Giant.

Karellen
It's interesting to me how much everything makes sense with the explanations of this day's comic, despite how unlikely it was from the offset that Roy's old man would end up working with Shojo.

Maryring
Yay for explanations. Other than that... I'm waiting for monday to come around.

The Glitter Ninja
Ha! Poor Tony. I think Roy's dad is right, once he returns, they're not going to let him out of their sight for a long while.

I'm so glad that we might be getting back to a Xykon plotline. I loves me some Xykon.

crippits
2006-03-10, 04:56 PM
Excellent comic!

I still can't wait to find out about the thing in the shadow, though. That's been killing me for a while and seems forgotten.

Melnor
2006-03-10, 04:59 PM
Excellent comic!

I still can't wait to find out about the thing in the shadow, though. That's been killing me for a while and seems forgotten.

Nay, lad; the Giant never forgets, only bides his time (him being the evil genius that he is).

humanpylon
2006-03-10, 04:59 PM
I don't have my players handbook in front of me. Does detect scrying actually let you find out who is scrying or just that someone is watching you?

Nasrudith
2006-03-10, 05:02 PM
Great comic Giant.

Lightman
2006-03-10, 05:07 PM
I wonder what the CR for a dramatic moment is?

Swashbuckler
2006-03-10, 05:12 PM
Depends on the size of the dramatic moment, and how many spells it can cast. ;D

AWESOME comic, Rich!

Eriol
2006-03-10, 05:19 PM
I know I'll be in the minority here, but I didn't enjoy this one as much because it was the same joke as was in OTOOPCs. As I was in the first couple of panels of that, I was thinking "oh no, please tell me Roy will cut him off saying 'you already explained this Dad!' or something!" Unfortunately it played out almost identicially to OTOOPCs.

The rest was kinda funny (tying up the celestial especially), but the punchline was disappointing.

humanpylon
2006-03-10, 05:22 PM
I know I'll be in the minority here, but I didn't enjoy this one as much because it was the same joke as was in OTOOPCs. As I was in the first couple of panels of that, I was thinking "oh no, please tell me Roy will cut him off saying 'you already explained this Dad!' or something!" Unfortunately it played out almost identicially to OTOOPCs.

For those of us who haven't read the book it's all new though. Trying to save up money to buy the books...damn shipping costs...

The_Kobold_Hero
2006-03-10, 05:28 PM
I love the XP joke. Nice one as usual Giant! ;D

Holy_Knight
2006-03-10, 05:55 PM
For those of us who haven't read the book it's all new though. Trying to save up money to buy the books...damn shipping costs...
And besides, running gags can be funny too. :)

Another great strip, I wonder if I can get away with saying "Don't get your codpiece in a knot" to people in real life now... :D

Also, is anyone else noticing a pattern of characters thinking someone is going to praise them, then having a rude awakening? First we had Belkar and Vaarsuvius, now Roy's Dad and Roy--will another pair be next?

Gleanerizer
2006-03-10, 06:01 PM
Also, is anyone else noticing a pattern of characters thinking someone is going to praise them, then having a rude awakening? First we had Belkar and Vaarsuvius, now Roy's Dad and Roy--will another pair be next?
Well, let's hope it's not Elan and Haley--their relationship is going so well. :)

ibitak84
2006-03-10, 06:01 PM
One complaint.

Why, it's obviously short for Toniphramiarael the Good and Holy, Planetar of the Gods of the South, Protector of the Lawful, Champion of the Innocent and so on and so forth.

coyote6
2006-03-10, 06:04 PM
Hmm, killing dramatic moments -- yes, it's a time honored tradition, at least amongst PCs. Usually not so much with the NPCs, though.

I don't have my players handbook in front of me. Does detect scrying actually let you find out who is scrying or just that someone is watching you?

According to our friend Mr. SRD, detect scrying can allow you to, "get a visual image of the scrier and an accurate sense of his or her direction and distance from you." (You have to beat the caster in a level check, though. Obviously, Eugene won that check.)

Platinum_Mongoose
2006-03-10, 06:05 PM
Ah, yes, Dramatic Moments are CR 6, I believe. 5 without pipes. Y'know, like a satyr? Man that's a crap joke.

humanpylon
2006-03-10, 06:08 PM
Why, it's obviously short for Toniphramiarael the Good and Holy, Planetar of the Gods of the South, Protector of the Lawful, Champion of the Innocent and so on and so forth.

Oh yeah I know Toniphramiarael. We're tight. I call him T-phram. ;D

FlawedParadigm
2006-03-10, 06:20 PM
Here's the truly burning question...does Eugene actually have a *use* for XP anymore?

Gunslinger47
2006-03-10, 06:29 PM
Here's the truly burning question...does Eugene actually have a *use* for XP anymore?Yes he does benefit from experience, according to Ghostwalk (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/885660000). Unlike the undead ghost (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ghost.htm) seen in the Monster Manual, Roy's father is fully dead. Turn Undead will not effect him, for example.

The two main Ghost classes are Eidolon and Eidoloncer. Roy's father would likely advance in the latter.

infiniteviking
2006-03-10, 06:31 PM
Aaah, existential philosophy. Gotta love it.

Why is Tony green? Is he related to Thog? Too bad we can't see if he has fangs. And it's amusing that that Shojo was summoning a celestial being that was far less impressive than Eugene's illusion.

Great exposition -- and very funny comic!

Wntrrvn
2006-03-10, 06:48 PM
For those of you counting that will be 8 more until #300.

If this were a tv show then it would be almost be guaranteed syndication for ever. Soon, jumping a shark. :o

Brasswatchman
2006-03-10, 06:56 PM
"Out of curiosity, do you get XP for killing this dramatic moment?" - Wonderful stuff.

fall_ark
2006-03-10, 06:57 PM
Wooo!
New comic is up earlier! Which means I have to wait longer time for the next one! (Well...anyway, it's a friday strip and ought to be longer...)

And Roy is just curious. ;D Great comic!
I really want to see Eugene get a level up quite soon....

Baloo
2006-03-10, 07:00 PM
Why is Tony green?
Tony is green because he's a planetar, and planetars are green. The guy in the middle of this picture is a planetar.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG12.jpg

humanpylon
2006-03-10, 07:08 PM
Tony is green because he's a planetar, and planetars are green. The guy in the middle of this picture is a planetar.

Where's that picture from? Monster Manual? Book of exhalted deeds?

Gunslinger47
2006-03-10, 07:14 PM
Where's that picture from? Monster Manual? Book of exhalted deeds?

Look at the URL of the hot-linked picture and see if you can figure it out. :)

humanpylon
2006-03-10, 07:20 PM
Look at the URL of the hot-linked picture and see if you can figure it out. :)

that's why I couldn't find it. i only have MM 3.0.

By the way not to be dense, but what does URL stand for?

Justinian
2006-03-10, 07:22 PM
If one was awarded XP for killing dramatic moments, I imagine my gaming groups would all be epic very quickly. ;)

ibitak84
2006-03-10, 07:30 PM
Tony is green because he's a planetar, and planetars are green.

Planetars are officially green? I thought they were just green in the OotS. Have they always been described as green?

Edit: I found out. They are "emerald", always have been. Who knew? I'm awed.

dragon95046
2006-03-10, 07:31 PM
that's why I couldn't find it. i only have MM 3.0.

By the way not to be dense, but what does URL stand for?

URL = Uniform Resource Locator

It's nice to see my degree get used for a change.

Bilbo27
2006-03-10, 07:42 PM
I can't shake hands--Lol

Great work Giant
Nice cliff Hanger for Monday

Xykon lives!! Go Roy Go!

DUN DUN DUN

Eternal-Darthness
2006-03-10, 07:45 PM
The massive overexplanation and qualifying of Xykon's state seems very monty Python, not just similar to the swallow argument but also similar to a Flying Circus sketch. (I remember there was one like this, but none of the details) Now we just need to have one of characters assemble a whole list of pets named Eric and attempt to get licenses for them.

I wonder, would Tony have listened to Eugene's side of it and let him go instead? I can't say that Tony would have made any bad decisions on the matter at hand, particularly if Eugene had pulled him aside for a moment. Huh. I guess he holds to "If you want it done right you've got to do it yourself". It seems rather petty if the main reason for him screwing with the order of things was his own concern with Xykon and getting the sword fixed. Rather self-centered for an LG type, but we knew that.

WarriorTribble
2006-03-10, 07:47 PM
EDIT-I read a manga where the heroes beat the evil side of the hero, then there's a "moment", then one remembers the incantation to his spell, screams it out loud, and get punched by the knight for "ruining the moment."Sounds cool. Do you remember the name of this manga? Sounds like something worth reading.

As for the comic... eh, didn't really like it much. Roy's dad tripping over semantics and the sarcastic reponse that followed didn't really tickle my funny bone. Although it's nice to know the father has his moments of stupidity.

Forderz
2006-03-10, 07:54 PM
Gotta agree with Warrior Tribble, the last 3 panels wern't too great, ept for Roy's line, of course.

Poor Tony.. all he wanted was to help out some Paladins.

redmind0
2006-03-10, 08:07 PM
codpiece

HAHA

NEO|Phyte
2006-03-10, 09:12 PM
The massive overexplanation and qualifying of Xykon's state seems very monty Python, not just similar to the swallow argument but also similar to a Flying Circus sketch. (I remember there was one like this, but none of the details)

: : : : : Monty Python's the Parrot Sketch is really just a list of such:
: : : : : He's NOT pining - he's passed on!
: : : : : This parrot is no more.
: : : : : He has ceased to be.
: : : : : He's expired and gone to meet his maker.
: : : : : It's a stiff.
: : : : : Bereft of life, he rests in peace.
: : : : : If you hadn't nailed him to the perch, he'd be pushing up the daisies.
: : : : : He's off the twig.
: : : : : He's shuffled off this mortal coil.
: : : : : He's run down the curtain and joined the bleeding choir invisible
: : : : : ... ...
: : : : : Vis-a-vis the metabolic processes, he's had his lot.
: : : : : All statements to the effect that this parrot is still a going concern are henceforth inoperative. This is an EX-parrot.

gregory_carslaw
2006-03-10, 09:19 PM
Dramatic moments work strangely in connection to XP. Generally the harder one is to kill, the less XP it is worth.

The DM who spends a lot of time putting together a grand moment and works really hard to make it difficult to spoil is the one who won't offer any XP for it's demise.

That being said you may be rewarded for your efforts by tougher monsters which (should you survive) can make it all worth while.

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-03-10, 09:41 PM
Well, let's hope it's not Elan and Haley--their relationship is going so well. :)

Relationships like Elan and Haley fall under Evil Overlord Rule #98:

"If an attractive young couple enters my realm, I will carefully monitor their activities. If I find they are happy and affectionate, I will ignore them. However if circumstance have forced them together against their will and they spend all their time bickering and criticizing each other except during the intermittent occasions when they are saving each others' lives at which point there are hints of sexual tension, I will immediately order their execution."

See the rules at: http://minievil.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

Bakta
2006-03-10, 10:45 PM
Second comic in a row that barely raise a chuckle.

Yes, plot demands those from time to time, but right after the trial and Belkar/Miko fight this is quite a heavy fall.

barongas
2006-03-11, 12:26 AM
I have to agree, it's a necessity but I can't wait to get back to some serious dungeon-crawling. Go out and save the world and let Belkar get more evil ideas like the Miko one, he's beautiful when he has his mind set on something.

theKOT
2006-03-11, 01:08 AM
Relationships like Elan and Haley fall under Evil Overlord Rule #98:

"If an attractive young couple enters my realm, I will carefully monitor their activities. If I find they are happy and affectionate, I will ignore them. However if circumstance have forced them together against their will and they spend all their time bickering and criticizing each other except during the intermittent occasions when they are saving each others' lives at which point there are hints of sexual tension, I will immediately order their execution."

See the rules at: http://minievil.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

Except Elan and Haley don't constantly antagonize each other as a bizarre outlet for their emotions.

Cirin
2006-03-11, 01:19 AM
Yes he does benefit from experience, according to Ghostwalk (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/885660000). Unlike the undead ghost (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ghost.htm) seen in the Monster Manual, Roy's father is fully dead. Turn Undead will not effect him, for example.

The two main Ghost classes are Eidolon and Eidoloncer. Roy's father would likely advance in the latter.
Well, I don't know if he'd be a Ghostwalk character or not. He is from the upper planes, so perhaps the Deathless type from the Book of Exalted Deeds would be better for Roy's dad.

He's got to still have uses for XP, who says he can't level up? If he can cast spells (like Detect Scrying), he can cast spells that cost XP at least.

cuibono_219
2006-03-11, 01:32 AM
Roy's father rulez!

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-03-11, 03:08 AM
Except Elan and Haley don't constantly antagonize each other as a bizarre outlet for their emotions.

Ergo, they're still alive. ;)

Elephant
2006-03-11, 03:11 AM
re: codemartin: "my hate of d02 knows no limit"

...I've always seen it as "my hat of d02 knows no limit"

It's right up there with "OD&D is the Only True Game; all others are merely pale imitations" :)

Me: "Yay! I killed a zombie!"
My husband (DM at the time): "No you didn't."
Me: "Yes I did!"
My husband: "No...technically, he was already dead..."

That's when I chucked the dice at him. :o LMAO!

I envy him.

...MY wife isn't a gamer (yet? Ever? sigh...)

Aiani
2006-03-11, 05:03 AM
I love seeing Roy and his dad together I guess because they are both so sarcastic. They seem to be so alike but they get along horribly. I guess that happens sometimes when people are too much alike.

Kish
2006-03-11, 05:21 AM
Well, who do you think taught Roy to be sarcastic? :P

Elephant
2006-03-11, 05:38 AM
His little sister? :P

Delgarde
2006-03-11, 06:09 AM
Well, I don't know if he'd be a Ghostwalk character or not. He is from the upper planes, so perhaps the Deathless type from the Book of Exalted Deeds would be better for Roy's dad.

Well, Ghost is a template, so I assume he's simply a human wizard with that template applied. There's nothing in the description that would prevent such a character from continuing to earn XP and gain character levels.

Delgarde
2006-03-11, 06:13 AM
As a note, it's probably indicative of Eugene's character level that he can overcome a CR16 planetar (a being with considerable spell resistance) without any apparently difficulty.

Reaver225
2006-03-11, 09:24 AM
AND tie him up. While incorporeal.

Seriously, how do you get rope on the Celestial Plane?

LE4dGOLEM
2006-03-11, 09:30 AM
Woo! Single Digit Page!

Now, Im far too lazy/ rushed to read all the pages, but im pretty sure i'm not the only one who's had exactly this moment... but has anyone ever had to do this referring to themself?

Me (recently killed by ogre king, unbeknowenst to the party, ihad been raised by a ilithid-lich): "I'm Alive!"
Ranger/monk (favoured enemy undead): (rushes over to greet me) "You have no pulse.."
Fighter: "ZOMBIE! KILL IT!"
Me: "No! I'm alive.. well, un-alive... not-dead...."
Fighter: "ZOMBIE! GHOST! GHOUL! KILL IT!"

Actually, that was when I used my newly accuired Lich-y powers to smite the fighter down to about 20 hp... Although he had been quite the ass that whole session :/

pita
2006-03-11, 10:47 AM
Sounds cool. Do you remember the name of this manga? Sounds like something worth reading.

Demon Diary.
The funniest midieval manga on earth. Probably the best.

Nyax
2006-03-11, 11:42 AM
Omg! He killed the dramatic moment!

GAH! 2 days before the next comic!

I'm going to try to find a way to hibernate in between the updates.

pita
2006-03-11, 12:14 PM
Hibernate? Nah.
Eat
I need to expand my stomache room so i can eat steaks for a whole day.

fithi
2006-03-11, 02:18 PM
Technically, he's still dead, just not, you know, DEAD-dead.

Way too funny, seeing as we were fighting what we thought was a vampire last night and some of us had a similar reaction.

Much fun.

Holy_Knight
2006-03-11, 03:49 PM
Quote:Technically, he's still dead, just not, you know, DEAD-dead.

Way too funny, seeing as we were fighting what we thought was a vampire last night and some of us had a similar reaction.

Much fun.

I suspect that very reason is why in Nethack it always says "destroyed" instead of "killed". Ah, Nethack...

Gunslinger47
2006-03-11, 06:18 PM
Well, Ghost is a template, so I assume he's simply a human wizard with that template applied. There's nothing in the description that would prevent such a character from continuing to earn XP and gain character levels.
The "Ghost" template is for undead ghosts. Beings animated by negative energy spirits. This is not the case for Roy's father, who is fully dead. If he was an undead ghost, he wouldn't have to jump through so many hoops to stay on the material plane.

He is from the upper planes, so perhaps the Deathless type from the Book of Exalted Deeds would be better for Roy's dad.
Deathless beings are known as "unliving". Beings animated by positive energy spirits. Anti-undead, basically. This does not fit Roy's father because he is not animated in any way.

He is 100%, completely, fully dead.

Kord
2006-03-11, 06:26 PM
Guys please try not to double post. Edit your previous post instead. Thanks.

BlueWizard
2006-03-11, 07:46 PM
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

The quest to kill Xykon cotinues!

Elephant
2006-03-11, 10:11 PM
Guys please try not to double post. Edit your previous post instead. Thanks.

Sorry. I've changed it now.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2006-03-12, 12:28 AM
Personally I was waiting for the great 'Xykon is not dead' reveal to come into effect and chill Roy to the bones.

WTFWWD
2006-03-12, 05:15 AM
Good Stuff!

Tony the Planetar reminds me of another angel my Dm used to use for the Planescape campign he ran- Vinnie da Deva.

Delgarde
2006-03-12, 05:27 AM
The "Ghost" template is for undead ghosts. Beings animated by negative energy spirits. This is not the case for Roy's father, who is fully dead.

What's the difference? MM simply says that ghosts are "the spectral remnants of intelligent beings who, for one reason or another, cannot rest easily in their graves.". Sounds like a good match for Roy's dad - dead, but still tied to the world.

Delgarde
2006-03-12, 05:31 AM
Tony the Planetar reminds me of another angel my Dm used to use for the Planescape campign he ran- Vinnie da Deva.

Ok, now I've got a mental image of a celestial with an italian accent, making someone an offer they can't refuse...

Zeekar
2006-03-12, 10:28 AM
Ok, now I've got a mental image of a celestial with an italian accent, making someone an offer they can't refuse...

Sure. What are angels, after all, if not Enforcers for God-the-father? You think it's coincidence that the Church and the Mob are headquartered in the same part of the world? :)

(kidding! please don't smite me! or whack me!)

Fillbert
2006-03-12, 11:24 AM
Deathless beings are known as "unliving". Beings animated by positive energy spirits. Anti-undead, basically. This does not fit Roy's father because he is not animated in any way.

He is 100%, completely, fully dead.

He's not only merely dead, he's truly and sincerely dead.

battleburn
2006-03-12, 11:37 AM
Hey, I thought they would turn of the spotlights...

Great comic Giant

DeathQuaker
2006-03-12, 12:00 PM
Is Roy's dad a Ghost or is he a rare Petitioner who remembers his previous life? That would explain why he was hanging out on the upper planes (and knows the Planetars by name).

Or is he just a joke in OOTS and I shouldn't try to think about it too much?

Alfryd
2006-03-12, 12:08 PM
New comic is up.
Oh my, a very droll play on metaphysical issues surrounding animation of the deceased and subsequent inhumation coupled with the underlying parental tensions of our sterling protagonist and a stern yet wayward pater
GET ON WITH IT!
*ahem* Sorry. Very nice, really.

That's slightly closer to Mikoy than Halan.

beholder
2006-03-12, 12:39 PM
my first post!
excelltn comics, and keep up all the good work, 1-292 are particularly good. also can someone show me where haileys giberish translations are?
cheers

battleburn
2006-03-12, 12:52 PM
my first post!
excelltn comics, and keep up all the good work, 1-292 are particularly good. also can someone show me where haileys giberish translations are?
cheers

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1132355002

mastroyo
2006-03-13, 02:38 AM
I hate Sunday Nights. It kinda feels like Oots, but it's like 20 hours away still.

AND, there is ALSO a component like WORK, that doesn't help at all.

:-/

Blaznak
2006-03-13, 11:01 AM
I have to tell you, I enjoy this strip for the sake of the four corners of the page. Each episode seems self contained. Still, I also enjoy the fact the strip draws on prior knowledge, and speculation.

A nifty combo!

diapsid
2006-03-13, 03:21 PM
eeeek, immensly busy weekend, only just now managed to check for updates! Means i'll get two oots in short order though! Loved todays (fridays) comic, especially Roy's Dad, who reminded me of my own dad...damn blathering...

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2006-03-13, 03:38 PM
It was good to see Eugene again, but I wonder...does anybody else hear him voiced by the same guy that did Jolee Bindo?

Melnor
2006-03-13, 03:51 PM
Is Roy's dad a Ghost or is he a rare Petitioner who remembers his previous life? That would explain why he was hanging out on the upper planes (and knows the Planetars by name).

Or is he just a joke in OOTS and I shouldn't try to think about it too much?

Haha, personally, I think that we should all just recognize that it is a comic and stop trying to classify every character and argue about the rules of lawful good and cahatoic evil (in relation to the text) etc.
Like Burlew once said "it moves at the speed of plot". As the writer, he's allowed to take liberties without bowing to the rules, although I'm certain that he likes to stick close to the rules, if only to cut down n the whining.

Zeekar
2006-03-13, 03:54 PM
It was good to see Eugene again, but I wonder...does anybody else hear him voiced by the same guy that did Jolee Bindo?

....no. Who is Jolee Bindo? Sounds suspiciously like a Star Wars name.

EDIT: Ah, the cantankerous old ex-Jedi from KotOR. Not a bad fit either visually or tempermentally, I suppose. That means the voice is Kevin Michael Richardson, who also does the Joker's voice on the new cartoon series The Batman.