PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Cleric of Asmodeus (lawful evil) vs Technic League (chaotic evil)

Zhentarim
2019-10-17, 10:30 PM
Are there any specific conflicts these two would have in the lore?

Arutema
2019-10-18, 01:53 AM
The Technic League is primarily concerned with maintaining their monopoly on alien tech taken out of the crashed spaceship now known as Silver Mount and writings about said tech. (For more on the Technic League, see the backmatter to Lords of Rust.)

The main centers of open worship of Asmodeus are Cheliax and its thrall states, which are at least 800 miles away from Silver Mount. so they don't often come in contact.

That said, if a Chelish noble in good standing with the church managed to obtain one of these alien relics or texts analyzing it, the Technic League would stop at nothing to reclaim it, and the church of Asmodeus might be bound by law and honor to protect them.

Psyren
2019-10-18, 11:05 AM
Technic League are akin to the Atlas Corporation in Borderlands - they believe they have exclusive rights to all alien tech on Pandora Golarion and will resort to any means necessary to seize it, up to and including murder/assassination. Personally I think this pegs them more as NE than CE, but the latter is what most of them ended up with officially including their leadership.

As mentioned above, the primary means for them to come into conflict would likely be a question of jurisdiction, i.e. an Asmodean official legally coming into possession of technology that the TL believes is their sole purview. The problem though is that few Asmodeans would even understand the stuff, so they'd likely need the Technic League just to decipher it anyway. So this would be less a matter of open conflict and more a matter of working out a contract.

Now, if they did that and the TL violated said contract, you might have something juicier on your hands. Though it's more likely that the broader TL would publicly disavow the actions of their "rogue agent" anyway rather than risk all-out war with the Church of Asmodeus (and possibly by extension, Cheliax itself.)

Zhentarim
2019-10-18, 12:53 PM
Technic League are akin to the Atlas Corporation in Borderlands - they believe they have exclusive rights to all alien tech on Pandora Golarion and will resort to any means necessary to seize it, up to and including murder/assassination. Personally I think this pegs them more as NE than CE, but the latter is what most of them ended up with officially including their leadership.

As mentioned above, the primary means for them to come into conflict would likely be a question of jurisdiction, i.e. an Asmodean official legally coming into possession of technology that the TL believes is their sole purview. The problem though is that few Asmodeans would even understand the stuff, so they'd likely need the Technic League just to decipher it anyway. So this would be less a matter of open conflict and more a matter of working out a contract.

Now, if they did that and the TL violated said contract, you might have something juicier on your hands. Though it's more likely that the broader TL would publicly disavow the actions of their "rogue agent" anyway rather than risk all-out war with the Church of Asmodeus (and possibly by extension, Cheliax itself.)

That does sound more NE than CE. I’ll probably work the violated contract angle for my character.

Ninjaxenomorph
2019-10-18, 09:48 PM
The Technic League would usually qualify as NE, but I think their methodology sets them as CE. They usually lack any subtlety, and will cross anybody that dares take technology they see as theirs, no matter what they have to destroy to get it back.