PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Goblin Sapper

Pinjata
2019-10-18, 07:28 AM
Hey guys,

I'm making a large goblin raiding party and a small part of it are sappers - goblins, specialized in busting doors, collapsing walls, etc. How could I make them, mechanically? I've been googling a bit and have found no good (actually ANY ideas) along this line, thus I'm turning to playground for help.

Also, any link to all non-standard goblins is appreciated.

thanks

Bobthewizard
2019-10-18, 07:42 AM
I assume you mean by spells so here some off the top of my head that might help. All but earthquake are on the wizard list. Stone sorcerer (UA) would get most of these too and is probably the best theme.

firebolt
mold earth (to make tunnels under walls)
earth tremor? (technically doesn't affect objects)
tenser's floating disc (to move out dirt) *not on sorcerer list
knock
shatter
erupting earth
fireball
creation (to make structural supports that later disappear)
conjure elemental (for earth elemental)
passwall
transmute rock
move earth
earthquake *not on wizard list

Edit: add disintegrate based on replies below. Also consider stinking cloud and cloudkill to mimic mustard gas.

Pinjata
2019-10-18, 07:55 AM
This is a nice input, @Bobthewizard. I'm also looking for some other options, like less "let's make magic resolve it". Perhaps an ability, a cage with tamed Thoqquas :D I have a simple reason for this: Any sorcerer will be immediately transferred to "DPS unit". No point wasting good spells on demolishing some walls. Unless you need that. And call DPS unit again.

Just my thoughts, really appreciate the contribution.

Ninja_Prawn
2019-10-18, 08:06 AM
Oh hello, what's this (https://nailsofvecna.tumblr.com/post/187091456291/since-yall-voted-for-the-mimic-book-over-the)? :smallwink:

I mean, they're kobolds, but it'd be pretty easy to swap the pack tactics for nimble escape and call them goblins...

saucerhead
2019-10-18, 08:07 AM
I don't understand the Thoqquas reference, but can guess it is a creature that explodes? I was thinking you could have an artificer that makes a highly unstable improvised device which results in shatter spell-like effects.

But if you are looking for character mechanics, Bob was right on the money. Otherwise just make a McGuffin.

Pinjata
2019-10-18, 08:09 AM
Oh hello, what's this (https://nailsofvecna.tumblr.com/post/187091456291/since-yall-voted-for-the-mimic-book-over-the)? :smallwink:

I mean, they're kobolds, but it'd be pretty easy to swap the pack tactics for nimble escape and call them goblins...

Perfect. This is it. I'm attaching this to goblins and done. Thanks!

Frozenstep
2019-10-18, 08:13 AM
At will disintegrate.

No but really, just give it some sticks of dynamite and an ability that lets it figure out where explosives should best be used to collapse walls.

Bobthewizard
2019-10-18, 08:35 AM

This is great. I still might include one stone sorcerer with them as a leader.

This is a nice input, @Bobthewizard. I'm also looking for some other options, like less "let's make magic resolve it". Perhaps an ability, a cage with tamed Thoqquas :D I have a simple reason for this: Any sorcerer will be immediately transferred to "DPS unit". No point wasting good spells on demolishing some walls. Unless you need that. And call DPS unit again.

Just my thoughts, really appreciate the contribution.

Unless the sorcerer can't control which spells they get.

At will disintegrate.

I can't believe I forgot disintegrate. Nice suggestion.

FabulousFizban
2019-10-18, 03:37 PM
goblin sappers with mold earth and shatter sound AMAZING. stealing that idea.

JackPhoenix
2019-10-18, 04:48 PM
They do double damage against objects. Or have explosives. Or it's just handwaved, because nobody really cares how NPCs do their thing when it doesn't affect PCs.

NNescio
2019-10-18, 05:40 PM
I don't understand the Thoqquas reference, but can guess it is a creature that explodes? I was thinking you could have an artificer that makes a highly unstable improvised device which results in shatter spell-like effects.

But if you are looking for character mechanics, Bob was right on the money. Otherwise just make a McGuffin.

A thorqqua is a 'lava' drill rock worm, found on the Elemental Planes of Fire & Earth and the Paraelemental Plane of Magma where they intersect. These creatures can tunnel through solid rock (their bodies are hot enough to melt stone). They are particularly infamous in 3.X because of savvy Druids summoning them to pull a Dungeon Bypass (or undermine structures and fortifications), way, way before similar options normally become available to most casters.

They haven't been adapted in 5e yet. 4e either, for that matter. Could be because WotC changed up the planar cosmology.

HappyDaze
2019-10-19, 03:05 AM
Xanathar's Guide gives the following to those proficient in Mason's Tools: Demolition. Your knowledge of masonry allows you to spot weak points in brick walls. You deal double damage to such structures with your weapon attacks.

Yes, it is oddly specific to only brick walls, and it's even more odd that proficiency in Carpenter's Tools doesn't help you all with demolishing wooden structures.