PDA

View Full Version : Help with Sea Captain type - Path of War

kalos72
2019-10-18, 09:44 AM
I am looking for a Legendary Captain type class while using a Psionic/Tactician/Zealot type base.

Does anyone have suggestions on feats/skills/abilities to make a character closer to the Legendary Captain without going down the actual class itself?

My group is heavy psionic and loves the Path of War line. I was thinking about just taking the base tactician and customising some of the Strategy abilities to make them more "captain" esque.

Thoughts?

kalos72
2019-10-18, 09:52 AM
Some things I have already thought about were:

1. Changing his Collective to be anyone on the ship or possibly just the crew of the ship, ignoring the number limitation. Adding in some of the more generic bonus to the crew as part of being in the Collective.

Drackstin
2019-10-18, 09:59 AM
There is a PrC class called legendary captain, that's pretty amazing. there was another pirate class i used with him, ill try to find it, it let him use a free bluff check to make his opponent flatfooted, and backstab them in the face.

kalos72
2019-10-18, 01:18 PM
As the OP says, I like the Legendary Captain but really dont want to have go down another PrC just to get the skills.

Has anyone customized another base class for captains in thier games? Anyone know of other classes that fit the bill when you think of a tactician or zealot?

Elricaltovilla
2019-10-18, 01:41 PM
Warlords and Stalkers have access to the privateer class template (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/path-of-war/classes/martial-class-templates/privateer-template/) that makes them more effective at pirate based things.

Efrate
2019-10-18, 02:11 PM
Swashbuckler or warlord work as well. Swash is less good but fits the bill to a T, and warlord with gambits and golden lion discipline makes a pretty good daring sea captain.

kalos72
2019-10-18, 05:00 PM
Which Swashbuckler were you thinking about?

I like Warlord but no psionics or collective. Ill have to take a deeper look later this weekend.

Legendary Captain is the highest rated "sea captain" type class correct? Any other options I missed?

Elricaltovilla
2019-10-18, 05:53 PM
You missed the option of just playing whatever class you want and role-playing a sea captain. Pirate is a job description, not a class. It's one that's governed by 5 skills and maybe a feat. You don't need a specific class to be a pirate. Heck they even cover that in Order of the Stick! The samurai are all paladins, because Samurai is a noble title, not a class.

Efrate
2019-10-18, 08:20 PM
Swashbuckler class, corsair archetype. It's pirate yar. It's not near as good as a Pow class but it is the quintessential pirate. Warlord is non psionic as is swashbuckler, and warlord does have the privateer archetype(as does stalker). Warlord is a captain and leader, stalker is a deckhand who is better at the sneaky stabby bits.

kalos72
2019-10-22, 02:49 PM
A Swashbuckler from CW sounds about right, maybe increasing the dmg some. Adding Collective and some Maneuvers some how....maybe a new Feat for Collective? I have to look that up when I get home...

Yes, I could just use any class and call it a Captain, I just really like the idea of a class built around a specific purpose. Gives it character/style...more than interesting then you learn these 5 skills BANG you are a captain.

Throw in a few levels of Zealot maybe?