PDA

View Full Version : What to Play? Totally confused

Orc_Lord
2019-10-18, 10:35 AM
I am joining a new game with a bunch of new players. Their classes are Fighter, Sorcerer and Barbarian.

They are all damage focused. I feel like we need healing, controlling, supporting. At the same time the DM would like me to not play a social character so the new players can make decisions, so that screams low Charisma to me.

I was thinking about playing a Goblin moon druid but I will be stepping on their toes. Clerics seem kind of meh, maybe if I could think of a cool character concept it would help.

I am confused, and this post probably sucks. :smallfrown:

Stone-Ears
2019-10-18, 10:40 AM
I'd go wizard. They have some pretty amazing utility spells that can help boost the other 3 characters and they don't really need Charisma.

This way, you get the support role down.

Healing isn't as big a deal in 5e when you can recover by a hit die every short rest and recover fully every long rest. So you don't need to be much of a healer.

J-H
2019-10-18, 10:43 AM
A Land druid would give you lots of battlefield control spellcasting without jumping into melee as much as a Moon druid would.
So would a Wizard.
You could go Celestial Warlock for some healing...just don't take the social skills.

Bobthewizard
2019-10-18, 10:45 AM
Maybe more of a caster druid, like land or shepherd, would be better for this party than a moon druid. Definitely covers healing and control well.

I agree that you could play wizard and ignore healing altogether, but healing word and healing spirit are good to have in any party. So you could make wizard work but I'd recommend druid.

Sexyshoeless
2019-10-18, 10:47 AM
I'd consider a shepherd druid for maximum support. The druid spell list is prime for what you are needing.

that being said, you can't go wrong with a moon druid. Perhaps early on hold off on using wild shapes except as emergency or utility if you are concerned with stepping on toes. Use spell + goblin cunning liberally for a sneaky, obnoxious hindrance to your foes!

jaappleton
2019-10-18, 10:51 AM
If you're also a new player, I suggest Life Cleric. Simple, amazingly effective. You can heal, support, take a couple of hits, etc. Start battles off with casting Bless and heal / hit as needed.

If you're a more experienced player, I suggest Bard. You can choose not to take any social skills, and focus on knowledge skills. Lore Bard is especially good at helping allies turn misses into hits, and enemy hits into misses. Spells like Faerie Fire to grant your allies Advantage are always welcome, as well as ones like Hypnotic Pattern to render enemies useless.

Nobody at the table would complain about either option.

Neoh
2019-10-18, 10:52 AM
I am joining a new game with a bunch of new players. Their classes are Fighter, Sorcerer and Barbarian.

They are all damage focused. I feel like we need healing, controlling, supporting. At the same time the DM would like me to not play a social character so the new players can make decisions, so that screams low Charisma to me.

I was thinking about playing a Goblin moon druid but I will be stepping on their toes. Clerics seem kind of meh, maybe if I could think of a cool character concept it would help.

I am confused, and this post probably sucks. :smallfrown:

Wizard, Druid or Cleric.

Wizards don't get healing though so that might be a problem.

Land Druid brings quite a lot to the table and the frontline already seems to be taken care of so no need for a Moon Druid (unless the Fighter is an archer).

Clerics are cool, less utility than a Druid though. You could babysit a bit with a Grave Cleric : Bless, Path to the Grave, Sentinel at Death's Door. Even Light Cleric can be good for new players with the Warding Flare.

patchyman
2019-10-18, 11:06 AM
Druid is an excellent choice, not disagreeing with that. I would also consider a cleric, they are a lot more than healbots in this edition.

Knowledge can help your party with skills, Arcana will get you a couple of Wiz cantrips plus access to Dispel Magic at higher levels. Nature cleric gets you access to a couple of Druid control spells. Pick up Mage Initiate for even more control.

Orc_Lord
2019-10-18, 11:36 AM
After starting this thread I have been thinking that I can play a Moon Druid and use wildshape more for emergencies and utility. Land gives more spells, but I very rarely run out of spells with any spellcaster I play. So if my party is getting mauled then I can turn into a bear, but I can also support, have some cool shapes for replacing spells, like spider instead of the climb spell etc.

Trying to think of a cool character concept that's not a tree hugger.

nickl_2000
2019-10-18, 11:44 AM
After starting this thread I have been thinking that I can play a Moon Druid and use wildshape more for emergencies and utility. Land gives more spells, but I very rarely run out of spells with any spellcaster I play. So if my party is getting mauled then I can turn into a bear, but I can also support, have some cool shapes for replacing spells, like spider instead of the climb spell etc.

Do you have any idea on the world you are playing in (or adventure module) and the race that you will be?

Orc_Lord
2019-10-18, 12:00 PM
Do you have any idea on the world you are playing in (or adventure module) and the race that you will be?

The world is homebrew. Race I like the idea of a Goblin, but it's hard to fit a druid concept into that

patchyman
2019-10-18, 12:00 PM

Not a Moon Druid, but I’ve been wanting to play a Dwarf Mountain Druid emphasizing Earth and Stone spells and playing him as the Chosen of Moradin (quasi-divine).

Sigreid
2019-10-18, 12:38 PM
I think your best answer is Disney Princess, I mean sheperd druid.

J-H
2019-10-18, 12:44 PM
Non-tree-hugger druids:

Village healer/shaman's apprentice who got bored having to tell the hunters where to hunt each day and how many game they could harvest based on maintaining the population.

Copy some traits from Nedorius Illian Kline III from In My Time of Troubles, a D&D-ish SI - He started out as a druid, then kind of went wizard, and now he makes a living performing cosmetic surgeries with occasional side jobs of arcane vengeance, spell-casting for hire, and instructor for lesser minds.

Feral runaway X who spent his teenage years in the forest alone after (Event), and is a bit unsocialized and feral as a result. Food is always very important to him. Plants, animals, etc. have value based on what he can use them for, or what threats they pose. Will cheerfully cut down a 400-year-old tree if he needs a tool or fire to survive.

Illiterate druid from barbarian tribe. People who cast spells by writing things down or praying instead of talking with the spirits and using the ambient flow of magic are strange.

Keravath
2019-10-18, 12:52 PM
You could take one level of Knowledge cleric and then go wizard for the rest. The level of cleric will at least give someone both bless and the healing word spell to get someone off the ground when in combat (along with better armor/shield and full spell slot progression).

If you want more of the healing spells like lesser and greater restoration then cleric or druid would be good picks. One option might be a variant human arcana cleric taking the magic initiate druid feat for shillelagh/thorn whip. You get to attack using wisdom, have all the healing spells, wizard attack cantrips including booming blade and some nice class features. It can make a very effective combat character.

If you want to use summoned creatures, a shepherd druid might work well too ...

Contrast
2019-10-18, 12:54 PM

Humans are animals too - cities are no more unnatural than an ant colony. A city is just a great big human nest. Be a warforged druid who loves studying humans in their 'natural habitat' :smallbiggrin:

I agree druid was where my mind lept - I have a soft spot for Circle of Dreams personally.

Edit -

The world is homebrew. Race I like the idea of a Goblin, but it's hard to fit a druid concept into that

Why is it difficult to combine druid and goblin? I feel goblinoids and shamans go together like a house on fire. Plus druids are much more of your dirty brass tacks magic than the divine clerics or swanky destiny of sorcs or hard learning of a wizards. If anything I'd say druids are the most thematically appropriate spellcasting class for goblins.

Orc_Lord
2019-10-18, 01:18 PM
Non-tree-hugger druids:

Feral runaway X who spent his teenage years in the forest alone after (Event), and is a bit unsocialized and feral as a result. Food is always very important to him. Plants, animals, etc. have value based on what he can use them for, or what threats they pose. Will cheerfully cut down a 400-year-old tree if he needs a tool or fire to survive.

Illiterate druid from barbarian tribe. People who cast spells by writing things down or praying instead of talking with the spirits and using the ambient flow of magic are strange.

I was debating feral runaway in my head, but the illiterate druid from barbarian tribe sounds AMAZING, and I am sold on it.

You could take one level of Knowledge cleric and then go wizard for the rest. The level of cleric will at least give someone both bless and the healing word spell to get someone off the ground when in combat (along with better armor/shield and full spell slot progression)

I had that thought Cleric for the heals and wizard for the control

Why is it difficult to combine druid and goblin? I feel goblinoids and shamans go together like a house on fire. Plus druids are much more of your dirty brass tacks magic than the divine clerics or swanky destiny of sorcs or hard learning of a wizards. If anything I'd say druids are the most thematically appropriate spellcasting class for goblins.

Yes, I agree, I just replied to a previous poster that gave me a good perspective. For some reason I was concentrating more on what character to play than thinking about Shaman / Witch type of ideas, which a Druid can easily be like you said.

Aett_Thorn
2019-10-18, 03:28 PM
So I know that you said that the DM didn’t want you to make a social character, but you can make a Bard and NOT have them be too social. You get to choose any three skills - just avoid the social ones and make yourself a nerd or a woodsman or a thief. Sure you’ll have a high Charisma, but it doesn’t mean that you need to use it that well.

I could see a Glamour Bard being a big benefit to this kind of party. Pick up a bunch of buff/Debuff spells and go to town.