PDA

View Full Version : How would this Affect the Weather and Other Variables?

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-10-18, 12:22 PM
This is for a 3.5 campaign, so I'm posting it here, even though the effects aren't specifically 3.5-related. I just have no idea where else to post it.

So, I have an Earth-like planet in size and general shape, but in the Northern hemisphere, approximately at the same latitude of the southern edge of Arizona (which is 31° 20' N) there is a mountain range so high that it juts entirely out of the atmosphere, meaning that without teleportation or the abilities to avoid the need to breathe and to fly without air, it's impossible to cross. There's a core of molten iron surrounded by a shell of solidified iron, with layers of granite surrounding the core. This mountain range averages about 200 miles wide and runs East and West across the length of a continent approximately the size of North America, out into the sea on either side. In the center of the range at about the same altitude as the plains to either side (about half a mile above sea level, on average) is a mountain valley averaging about 50 miles wide that splits the range in two. There are lots of hills and dales throughout, some of which are quite steep and high (and low). It runs very nearly the entire length of the range, with the sheer walls of the mountains towering straight up, all the way out of the atmosphere. It's wide enough to get a reasonable amount of sunshine throughout the year (I think; correct me if I'm wrong), and there's enough water pooling in lakes and rivers that the valley has its own weather patterns, with clouds and rain, but the area is still a little arid in most places. Imagine it has about the same amount of water as the Great Plains of the midwestern US, with a few smaller areas with significantly more water that gets cycled around a bit but tends to pool in the lower areas. The granite walls themselves are surprisingly smooth, obviously artificial, and breaks in the walls are very rare. A single narrow path runs through the mountains to the North, and the continuation runs through the mountains to the South, though they are very well-hidden, and almost no-one knows about them.

The mountains are covered in a huge dead magic area that extends well past them and into the surrounding plains, and the ground is riddled with oubliettes imprisoning innumerable horrors of yore, such as a massive shoggoth/chaos beast (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJXWNV2wGu4), the tarrasque, ancient fiendish dragons, at least one elder evil (which the prison was originally built to contain), and other epic monsters of apocalyptic power.

Now, what would this place be like, weather-wise? How would it affect the weather world-wide? How about other astral phenomena? Could you see the sun, moon, and stars? Would it be covered in constant fog at night and during the winter? How about wind? How would you describe your surroundings if you were standing in the middle of it all? I'm not really big on astrological knowledge, so some ideas how such things would be affected would be nice to know.

[edit] Later posts that contain (apparently) important info:

Technically, the entirety of Earth's atmosphere is about 300 miles thick, but the vast majority of the atmosphere is within 10 miles of the Earth's surface; everything above that might as well not even be there for this purpose, because it's so thin. I would say that the mountains are about 40-50 miles tall, depending on exactly where in the mountains you are (or less, if we need them to be). And they are artificial; they were engineered to absorb all of the magic within a vast radius, and use that magic to imprison the aforementioned Elder Evil.

As for the ability to stand so tall without collapsing, once again, they are artificial, were constructed, and have a core of iron filled with molten iron.

The mountain range was created eons ago. They're ancient. And the solar system is geocentric, rather than solar-centric. The moon and sun move around the planet, not vice versa, so planetary wobbling isn't an issue, although the sun and moon in specific do affect the world in similar ways (such as tides and, to an extent, a global jet-stream, for two examples). From standing on the world itself, the differences aren't too noticeable in the short-term, although extremely long-term things would develop somewhat differently, I think.

The universe this takes place in is a massive demiplane, such as one created by a repeating trap of genesis hundreds or thousands of millennia past, if it matters. So not everything will be the same, although I definitely like the logical ramifications being brought up in the thread. It's good to think about these things.

Just because certain astrological bodies orbit the planet, that doesn't mean that the planet itself doesn't spin, or that the sun and moon aren't still very large and don't have significant pull on the planet.

I did mention (multiple times) that it's to imprison an Elder Evil (and is being used as a prison for a lot of other stuff, too). The height is to add to the inaccessibility of the ancient city at the top (among other issues, such as the dead magic zone), which is both covered in runes and is a giant rune itself, holding the prison together, far below. The city spans the entire length of the mountain range; it's huge. And very, very alien, in a Cthulu Mythos kind of way. Whatever built it was not even remotely human. It's creepy as hell to anything familiar with normal architecture.

As far as the weathering granite goes, it doesn't weather like it should. That's fairly obvious if you take some time to look at the inner walls, especially. It's been magically hardened (instantaneous Conjurations, so it works in a dead magic zone) against damage to prevent the escape of the monstrous presence it's imprisoning. Otherwise, as you said, the rock would weather away and the prison would collapse.

The compass thing is a good point, though. I wonder what the melting point of adamantine is, and if it's magnetic...

Lapak
2019-10-18, 01:02 PM
I cannot answer your weather question, but I want to check a couple of your assumptions.

First, what you mean by 'out of the atmosphere.' If you just mean 'too high to survive,' it's at least possible your mountains could exist without divine intervention, but if you mean what we generally consider the boundary of outer space where the atmosphere still exists but is so thin it's only relevant as drag on the ISS, you have problems.

First, the sunlight issue. If your mountains are the ~100km tall to stick into space, at that latitude they will cast a shadow that covers more than half the valley at noon on the solstice, and the entire valley even at noon for about 3/4 of the year. Unless they are pretty reflective, I think it's probably going to be awfully shady to sustain a normal ecosystem (let alone a normal human society.) And given that they stick out of the atmosphere on both sides, I am actually not sure how much INDIRECT sunlight you'd get reflected around from the air itself.

Second, gravity. Even if the walls themselves are somehow engineered to withstand the (monstrous) stress of gravity trying to pull them flat, the weight of them will push the more normal crust and mantle away; your mountains would sink into the earth. That's probably less of an immediate problem and more a slower issue, so as long as the mountains ARE indestructible and are relatively new you should be ok.

So how high are these mountains, in a specific sense?

(That aside, I imagine that your weather is going to be MESSED UP, but I am less confident about it than I am about the shadow and weight issues.)

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-10-18, 01:33 PM
Technically, the entirety of Earth's atmosphere is about 300 miles thick, but the vast majority of the atmosphere is within 10 miles of the Earth's surface; everything above that might as well not even be there for this purpose, because it's so thin. I would say that the mountains are about 40-50 miles tall, depending on exactly where in the mountains you are (or less, if we need them to be). And they are artificial; they were engineered to absorb all of the magic within a vast radius, and use that magic to imprison the aforementioned Elder Evil.

As for the ability to stand so tall without collapsing, once again, they are artificial, were constructed, and have a core of iron filled with molten iron.

GrayDeath
2019-10-18, 01:53 PM
Since the valley is the only way for "normal" Athmosphere to cross from one side of the range to the other, massive (and I mean MASSIVE) storms south or northward would be the rule. Think Stormlight Archive Highstorm and similar.

Aside from artificial weather stabilizers both north and south of the chain, they would clearly separate a HUGE amount of athmosphere and hence weather, making (through Differences in Athmoispheric pressure/movement) the problems even stronger.

So, as cool as something that huge sounds its likely to destroy habitability on that continent at least, and have strong weather/Passat Wind" stopping/disrupting effects on the rest of the world.

Given that they were created, assume that the next few centuries after creation would be incredibly bad for animals and plants, probably world wide (weather systems,a s seen via effects of rather "tame" ice Ages) are....sensitive.

Not to mention that yes, unless its at least 100miles wide, 50+ MKiles high walls (straight) would make that Valley even less habitable.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-10-18, 06:18 PM
Hmm. I'm thinking the absorbed magic also powers an epic control weather effect that blunts the horrific storms. They aren't entirely negated, even so, but the storms are merely bad and frequent, rather then constant and apocalyptic.

Also, 100 miles is doable. The range is significantly wider than that, giving some wriggle room.

Palanan
2019-10-18, 10:38 PM
How old are these mountains? How long ago were they raised?

I ask because large-scale orogeny has a long-term cooling effect on the atmosphere. One consequence of mountains being raised is that they present more surface area for weathering by rain, which ends up drawing carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere. This is a geological process, so if the mountains were raised just a few thousand years ago then there won't be much effect. But it's something to keep in mind if they're Relics from the Dawn of Time or whatnot.

Also, if the mountains run along an east-west axis, they may end up being less disruptive to weather patterns than if they'd been north-south. Depending on the details of your continent, I would expect the southeast quadrant to be exceptionally humid, since the mountains will be a tremendous rain barrier and they'll be catching hurricanes on top of that. There may also be effects on the local equivalent of the jet stream, especially in those instances when it would temporarily reach further south.

Lapak also has a good point that long-term, these mountains will bear down into the mantle, which would probably cause deformations across the continent. Long-term I would expect the surrounding continental crust to be pushed up in parallel ridges, north and south, so eventually you would have at least one narrow inland sea to the south, essentially a ribbon of water running east to west at the foot of your artificial range. The mountains probably already have a chain of rivers and lakes to the south, and over geological time those will merge into a linear sea. Eventually the bed of this inland sea may sink below global sea level, which means the inland sea will become an epicontinental sea, but that's a very long-term effect.

Depending on when the mountains were created, and how long that process took, there's a real chance that weather patterns would have had some catastrophic impacts on whatever passed for early civilizations at the time. Another potential impact is increased albedo on the southern face of these mountains. You'll have a continuous band of snow reaching as far up the mountains as weather patterns can deposit moisture--essentially a massive mirror reaching across the continent reflecting sunlight away from the planet. This would cause a more acute cooling effect which could, depending on conditions worldwide, be enough to tip the planet into a feedback loop leading to a snowball-earth scenario.

And that's not even taking into account the imbalance in mass distribution this will create as the planet rotates on its axis, which could cause even more perturbations and catastrophes. These mountains will almost certainly create more problems than they solve.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-10-18, 10:54 PM
The mountain range was created eons ago. They're ancient. And the solar system is geocentric, rather than solar-centric. The moon and sun move around the planet, not vice versa, so planetary wobbling isn't an issue, although the sun and moon in specific do affect the world in similar ways (such as tides and, to an extent, a global jet-stream, for two examples). From standing on the world itself, the differences aren't too noticeable in the short-term, although extremely long-term things would develop somewhat differently, I think.

The universe this takes place in is a massive demiplane, such as one created by a repeating trap of genesis hundreds or thousands of millennia past, if it matters. So not everything will be the same, although I definitely like the logical ramifications being brought up in the thread. It's good to think about these things.

Palanan
2019-10-18, 11:01 PM
Well, the geocentric approach means ordinary atmospheric science and geology all go out the window. If the planet isn't spinning on its axis, there's no Coriolis effect, no ocean circulation, no weather that has any relation to what we know on Earth. No hurricanes, no rain barriers, no nothing. Oceans are stagnant, atmo is dependent on the details of the orbiting sun.

So, a geocentric world is essentially dividing by zero. Not even sure if plate tectonics would operate. Whatever this world is like, nothing from our world applies.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-10-18, 11:03 PM
Well, the geocentric approach means ordinary atmospheric science and geology all go out the window. If the planet isn't spinning on its axis, there's no Coriolis effect, no ocean circulation, no weather that has any relation to what we know on Earth. No hurricanes, no rain barriers, no nothing. Oceans are stagnant, atmo is dependent on the details of the orbiting sun.

So, a geocentric world is essentially dividing by zero. Not even sure if plate tectonics would operate. Whatever this world is like, nothing from our world applies.Just because certain astrological bodies orbit the planet, that doesn't mean that the planet itself doesn't spin, or that the sun and moon aren't still very large and don't have significant pull on the planet.

Palanan
2019-10-18, 11:16 PM
I would recommend you ask the mods to move this thread to the worldbuilding subforum. I would also suggest you preface your OP with the broader context of this world, so people will know up front the details of how this world and its system diverge from the typical.

Mechalich
2019-10-18, 11:21 PM
The mountain range was created eons ago. They're ancient.

Granite isn't indestructible. The weather patterns through your valley will weather it hard and a huge amount of granite should - barring some extremely powerful magical effect to halt it - erode off the sides and fill the bottom of the valley, probably to several kilometers in depth. This would mitigate the weather issues within the valley thereafter to at least some degree but the valley wouldn't exactly be passable.

It's not really a weather impact, but that much iron probably means that compasses point toward these mountains, not northward.

More broadly, why does you world have a formation like this? Are you trying to use geology to artificially channel conflict through a geographically confined area? if that's the goal, there's no real reason to have the mountains be ridiculously high, they can just be Himalayas level and it'll be fine.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-10-19, 12:19 AM
Granite isn't indestructible. The weather patterns through your valley will weather it hard and a huge amount of granite should - barring some extremely powerful magical effect to halt it - erode off the sides and fill the bottom of the valley, probably to several kilometers in depth. This would mitigate the weather issues within the valley thereafter to at least some degree but the valley wouldn't exactly be passable.

It's not really a weather impact, but that much iron probably means that compasses point toward these mountains, not northward.

More broadly, why does you world have a formation like this? Are you trying to use geology to artificially channel conflict through a geographically confined area? if that's the goal, there's no real reason to have the mountains be ridiculously high, they can just be Himalayas level and it'll be fine.I did mention (multiple times) that it's to imprison an Elder Evil (and is being used as a prison for a lot of other stuff, too). The height is to add to the inaccessibility of the ancient city at the top (among other issues, such as the dead magic zone), which is both covered in runes and is a giant rune itself, holding the prison together, far below. The city spans the entire length of the mountain range; it's huge. And very, very alien, in a Cthulu Mythos kind of way. Whatever built it was not even remotely human. It's creepy as hell to anything familiar with normal architecture.

As far as the weathering granite goes, it doesn't weather like it should. That's fairly obvious if you take some time to look at the inner walls, especially. It's been magically hardened (instantaneous Conjurations, so it works in a dead magic zone) against damage to prevent the escape of the monstrous presence it's imprisoning. Otherwise, as you said, the rock would weather away and the prison would collapse.

The compass thing is a good point, though. I wonder what the melting point of adamantine is, and if it's magnetic...

Ashtagon
2019-10-19, 12:57 AM
I'd expect this to either be an arid desert, or an environment slick with fungi and microbes (or at best a carboniferous era style jungle). You're not getting anything remotely resembling Ghibli hills in this terrain.

Karl Aegis
2019-10-19, 01:07 AM
If clouds don't go high enough to get over the mountains the other side doesn't get rain clouds.

Ashtagon
2019-10-19, 01:14 AM
If clouds don't go high enough to get over the mountains the other side doesn't get rain clouds.

Exactly. Water won't get in or out. The big question is how much pre-existing water is in the micro-ecosystem.

Karl Aegis
2019-10-19, 01:22 AM
Exactly. Water won't get in or out. The big question is how much pre-existing water is in the micro-ecosystem.

Water can still go under the mountains. Osmosis is cool like that. Water table and all that would be pretty low, though.

Ashtagon
2019-10-19, 03:13 AM
Water can still go under the mountains. Osmosis is cool like that. Water table and all that would be pretty low, though.

There's water in the Sahara too, if you know where to look. But a very very very low water table is not meaningful in terms of producing abundant flora on the surface.