int 8
wis 14
cha 14

magic initiate sorcerer: control flames, minor illusion, disguise self

athletics
stealth - expertise
deception - expertise
perception

haven't decided on a background yet. probably that one that grants 2 languages.

EDIT: where does the forum think the build/character should go?

EDIT 2: i was actually thinking of using this lvl5 build as an NPC with drow poison for when the party pisses off the local lord. like, four of these guys drop down and attack.

AgenderArcee
2019-10-18, 07:31 PM
Sounds fun! What monk subclass are you gonna go for? Kensei maybe?

ThatoneGuy84
2019-10-19, 09:14 AM
I played a Shadowmonk/Assassin in a game it was very enjoyable.
Bonos action Shadow step, for instant advantage on next attack (sneak)
Im not 100% sure what Char 14 on it. I would rather have slightly higher Con then 12.

Crgaston
2019-10-20, 12:23 AM
For a background, Courtier gives Persuasion, Insight, and 2 languages.

Chad.e.clark
2019-10-20, 10:35 AM
Shadow monk already gets minor illusion, i would opt for another cantrip choice if you go magic Initiate, maybe mold earth or shape water?

Arkhios
2019-10-20, 11:34 PM
As long as this isn't inspired by that god-awful movie, you're good to go! :smallbiggrin:

micahaphone
2019-10-21, 12:11 AM
I know shadow monk goes well with assassin, but what are 2 levels of it getting you for this level 5 npc?

Spacehamster
2019-10-21, 12:59 AM
I know shadow monk goes well with assassin, but what are 2 levels of it getting you for this level 5 npc?

I guess instead of two short Sword attacks with 5 assassin it gives him one short sword(or two) attack with option of two flurry of blows unarmed attacks.

Mongobear
2019-10-21, 01:27 AM
As long as this isn't inspired by that god-awful movie, you're good to go! :smallbiggrin:

HEY, THAT MOVIE WAS AWESOME!!!

(Not historically accurate at all, just good action.)

Also as far as the OP, I'd go Kensei Monk, for the weapon training, as most Ninja I fiction have a very diverse/unique weapon arsenal.

For background, depending on the degree of Fantasy vs History you want, Folk Hero, Faction Agent, Far Traveller, Criminal, Urchin, and Inheritor could all work well.

Folk Hero - you're closer to the historical Ninja--rebels from the peasant caste that fight against tyrannical nobility

Faction Agent - Your Ninja Clan is one of many, and you are doing things on their authority.

Far Traveller - Your Homeland is far across the Sea, and you've tracked a target to this new land

Criminal - Ninja are feared and hunted. You are always on your toes making sure you don't reveal yourself to authority figures.

Urchin - You grew up on the streets, and learned your ways from an older Orphan. (Japanese themed thieves guild)

Inheritor - Your clan was wiped out, and you're the last survivor. Your father passed the family sword to you and with his dying breath tasked you with revenge against those that did this.

djreynolds
2019-10-21, 02:15 AM
variant human rogue 3 assassin/monk 2

str 10
dex 16
con 12
int 8
wis 14
cha 14

magic initiate sorcerer: control flames, minor illusion, disguise self

athletics
stealth - expertise
deception - expertise
perception

haven't decided on a background yet. probably that one that grants 2 languages.

EDIT: where does the forum think the build/character should go?

EDIT 2: i was actually thinking of using this lvl5 build as an NPC with drow poison for when the party pisses off the local lord. like, four of these guys drop down and attack.

I might forgo the magic initiate for a level in warlock or sorcerer, it should delay your build in the least.

In the guide section is the death dealers handbook, http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?469125-GUIDE-Dealing-Death-Handbook-of-the-True-Assassin&p=6707781#post6707781

Check this out, it might be for you