PDA

View Full Version : Horror Master (Ranger Subclass) 5E

Tvtyrant
2019-10-18, 03:56 PM
Horrors are creatures which have achieved the lowest form of divinity. They have tied their immortality to their names and their stories. A Horror lives off of the terror of their victims, and dwell in a strange world parallel to ours. They are called to our world by the repetition of their stories, where they commit acts of terror while allowing survivors to escape so they can spread the story to others.

The Subclass:

At third level you gain the ability to bind a Horror. The Horror is called during a ritual that occurs as part of a long rest, involving telling the group the Horror's story and binding it within the appropriate item. Your shadow becomes a simulacrum of the Horror and fights by your side.

The Horror has AC equivalent to yours, it uses your to-hit. It deals damage equal to 1d6+ your proficiency bonus. Its hit point maximum equals ¼ your total hit points rounded down.

The Horror obeys your commands as best as it can. It takes its turn on your initiative, though it doesn't take an action unless you command it to. On your turn, you can verbally command the beast where to move (no action required by you).

You can use your Bonus Action to verbally command it to take the Attack, Dash, Disengage, Dodge, or Help action. You may use your action to command it to use its ability

While traveling through your favored terrain with only the Horror, you can move stealthily at a normal pace.

Extra Attack Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

At seventh level you gain the ability to bind two Horrors. Once per long rest as an action you can dismiss your active Horror and summon another in its place.

At 11th level your control over your horror increases. Your allies can now use their bonus actions to vewrbally command your active Horror to take the Attack, Dash, Disengage, Dodge or Help Action.

At 15th level you have mastered the world of horrors. You may now have two Horrors active per long rest, and may swap a Horror once per short rest.

Horrors:

All horrors share the same stats.

The Mirror Horror appears after the appropriate ritual. First the story of how it was a queen who fell in love with her own reflection must be told. The Queen grew to love her reflection so much that when her mirror cracked she carved her face to match the broken reflection, and then began to do the same to the people of her realm. When she was eventually killed by her people her reflection survived.

Those who tell this story and then repeat her name into a mirror find their reflection replaced by hers. She then reaches out from reflective surfaces to carve their face to match her own shattered visage.

Horror Short List:

Athletics: Last Giant. Power: Make grapple attempt, if successful throw creature 10xproficiency bonus feet.
Acrobatics: The Ballerina Princess. Power: Target makes dex save or dances until the end of their next turn.
Sleight of Hand: The Mime. Power "Force of Will": Create a 20x5t. invisible wall until your next turn. Enemies must make a dex save to pass through it.
Stealth: Invisible Man. Power "In Plain Sight": Ally becomes invisible until your next turn.
Arcana: The Witch. Power "Dark Fires": 10x10 fire ball within 100ft. Deals proficiency d4 damage.
History: Vampire Scion. Power "Bleed": The Vampire Scion makes a normal attack, if it succeeds that opponent has disadvantage until your next turn.
Investigation: Relentless Masked Stranger. Power "From Every Shadow": An invisible or hidden enemy is no longer hidden or invisible until your next turn.
Nature: The First Man. Power "The Wild Hunt": The First Man uses his torch, if they fail an intelligence save they become terrified and flee until your next turn.
Religion: Wicker Priest. Power "Sacrifice": The Wicker Priest makes a normal attack with his obsidian knife. If he succeeds in killing the opponent, you take an additional turn.
Animal Handling: Corvidae. Power: Each square around target ally is filled with crows until your next turn, making the terrain difficult and attacks against that ally disadvantage.
Insight: I need advice for this one, not going to lie.
Medicine: Cannibal Butcher. Power "Dark Surgery": The Butcher strikes an opponent with his cleaver, all allies within 100ft gain life equal to the damage dealt.
Perception: Mirror Woman. Power "Mirror Reflection": The Mirror Woman becomes a reflection of target creature, they must make a wisdom save or spend their next move action to stand in front of her.
Survival: The Black Dog. Power "Bay": All opponents must make a wisdom save or be slowed until your next turn.
Deception: The Face Taker. Power "Mask": The Face Taker makes a mask out of target opponent. An ally that wears this mask has advantage on deception checks until the end of the day.
Intimidation: Burned Brute. Power "Memory": Target creature within 30ft makes a charisma save or takes proficiencyd6 psychic damage.
Performance: The Clown. Power "Sleeve": Target ally adjacent to the Clown is disappeared into its sleeve and then reappears from the sleeve of an ally within 50ft.
Persuasion: The Twofaced Devil. Power "Bedevil": Target enemy within 30ft makes a charisma save or spends their reaction to immediately attack an adjacent creature.

sandmote
2019-10-18, 05:56 PM
I'd maybe make one horror statblock, and then say it also has a special ability based on which type of horror it is. I'd also use the Iron Defender (From the Battle Smith artificer subclass) as a base for the core horror, or at least the way its health works. Then add a separate tab listing out the various types of horrors and what special action/reaction/passive ability each has.

You should probably also specify whether or not the horror gets any additional actions at 11th level.

And maybe add a noncombat ability for roleplay or social purposes. Have each horror grant one skill proficiency depending on which horror you're using, or a way to scare other characters using the horror?

Tvtyrant
2019-10-18, 06:23 PM
I agree with homogenous bodies and the 1 skill per Horror. I also am working on a dismissal power, so you can choose to trade your minion for a obe off effect. At later levels you can dk this twice because you have two Horrors.

I'm not sure about the HP. The Iron Defender seems to have the same HP its whole life, and only heals a little more as you level. HP goes up a lot over the game, a low fixed HP nakes for really fragile minions.

MagneticKitty
2019-10-18, 07:49 PM
7th (seventh) level is spelled out instead of put as 7th. The seventh and the last ability both state you get two horrors? This is confusing.

And why does the horror have a hit dice for its hp when earlier you said it had 1/4 of yours? Same with a.c. being conflicting. Also specify if you round up or down for 1/4 your hp.

Is interesting concept.

I assumed this was 5e, but you should specify

Tvtyrant
2019-10-18, 07:55 PM
7th (seventh) level is spelled out instead of put as 7th. The seventh and the last ability both state you get two horrors? This is confusing.

And why does the horror have a hit dice for its hp when earlier you said it had 1/4 of yours? Same with a.c. being conflicting. Also specify if you round up or down for 1/4 your hp.

Is interesting concept.

I assumed this was 5e, but you should specify

Seventh level you get two consecutively, you can swap between them during the day. At level 15 you get two simultaneously.

I don't know exactly how to write that into a stat block, I'll work on it. The idea is to make it keep up with the player and be easy to remember.

Changed title to specify.

sandmote
2019-10-21, 05:48 PM
I agree with homogenous bodies and the 1 skill per Horror. I also am working on a dismissal power, so you can choose to trade your minion for a obe off effect. At later levels you can dk this twice because you have two Horrors.

I'm not sure about the HP. The Iron Defender seems to have the same HP its whole life, and only heals a little more as you level. HP goes up a lot over the game, a low fixed HP nakes for really fragile minions.

Come again?

Hit Points equal to five times your level in this class + your intelligence modifier + the iron defender's Constitution modifier

Assuming a ranger with 20 Con and 8 Wis, your version starts at 8.75 hit points at 3rd level, and increases by 2.75 per level.

With the same assumptions, the Iron Defender ripoff with have 14 hit points at 3rd level and increase by 5 per level. I'm suggesting you don't make the minion's HP as low?

Although given you're granting two horrors, maybe reduce the hit points to be between your verso and the iron defender's. If you otherwise assume rangers will generally have 12+ wis, you can give horrors hit points equal to 3 times your level, and they'll still have slightly more it points than your version (10 at 3rd level and increasing by 3 per level).

Tvtyrant
2019-10-21, 07:20 PM
Come again?

Assuming a ranger with 20 Con and 8 Wis, your version starts at 8.75 hit points at 3rd level, and increases by 2.75 per level.

With the same assumptions, the Iron Defender ripoff with have 14 hit points at 3rd level and increase by 5 per level. I'm suggesting you don't make the minion's HP as low?

Although given you're granting two horrors, maybe reduce the hit points to be between your verso and the iron defender's. If you otherwise assume rangers will generally have 12+ wis, you can give horrors hit points equal to 3 times your level, and they'll still have slightly more it points than your version (10 at 3rd level and increasing by 3 per level).

Oh, I missed that. Sorry, I am dumb.

I think the Iron Defenders is fine, and when summoning two divide the HP between them. So AoEs are stronger against them and you have a reason to only summon one. I like the suggestions, thank you :)

I'm going through and making a Horror for each skill, it is just taking me a bit.

Tvtyrant
2019-10-25, 05:45 PM
By skill granted:

Athletics: Last Giant. Power: Make grapple attempt, if successful throw creature 10xproficiency bonus feet.

Acrobatics: The Ballerina Princess. Power: Target makes dex save or dances until the end of their next turn.

Sleight of Hand: The Mime. Power "Force of Will": Create a 20x5t. invisible wall until your next turn. Enemies must make a dex save to pass through it.

Stealth: Invisible Man. Power "In Plain Sight": Ally becomes invisible until your next turn.

Arcana: The Witch. Power "Dark Fires": 10x10 fire ball within 100ft. Deals proficiency d4 damage.

History: Vampire Scion. Power "Bleed": The Vampire Scion makes a normal attack, if it succeeds that opponent has disadvantage until your next turn.

Investigation: Relentless Masked Stranger. Power "From Every Shadow": An invisible or hidden enemy is no longer hidden or invisible until your next turn.

Nature: The First Man. Power "The Wild Hunt": The First Man uses his torch, if they fail an intelligence save they become terrified and flee until your next turn.

Religion: Wicker Priest. Power "Sacrifice": The Wicker Priest makes a normal attack with his obsidian knife. If he succeeds in killing the opponent, you take an additional turn.

Animal Handling: Corvidae. Power: Each square around target ally is filled with crows until your next turn, making the terrain difficult and attacks against that ally disadvantage.

Insight: I need advice for this one, not going to lie.

Medicine: Cannibal Butcher. Power "Dark Surgery": The Butcher strikes an opponent with his cleaver, all allies within 100ft gain life equal to the damage dealt.

Perception: Mirror Woman. Power "Mirror Reflection": The Mirror Woman becomes a reflection of target creature, they must make a wisdom save or spend their next move action to stand in front of her.

Survival: The Black Dog. Power "Bay": All opponents must make a wisdom save or be slowed until your next turn.

Deception: The Face Taker. Power "Mask": The Face Taker makes a mask out of target opponent. An ally that wears this mask has advantage on deception checks until the end of the day.

Intimidation: Burned Brute. Power "Memory": Target creature within 30ft makes a charisma save or takes proficiencyd6 psychic damage.

Performance: The Clown. Power "Sleeve": Target ally adjacent to the Clown is disappeared into its sleeve and then reappears from the sleeve of an ally within 50ft.

Persuasion: The Twofaced Devil. Power "Bedevil": Target enemy within 30ft makes a charisma save or spends their reaction to immediately attack an adjacent creature.

sandmote
2019-10-26, 02:24 PM
Honestly, I think it would feel better to have around seven horrors with little descriptions instead of 18 of them.

Last Giant: the name might make more sense referencing formorians or titans. Mechanically, you should probably break down how this fits in the action economy.

Acrobatics: doesn't specify what happens mechanically when the target dances. Forced to use the dodge action or something? I'd maybe make a passive ability against ranged weapon attacks instead.

Invisible Man: should end early if the target does the things that end Invisibility. You should probably also specify if it ends at the start or end of your turn.

Vampire Scion: disadvantage on what?

Relentless Masked Stranger: Should probably specify it doesn't work when the target is behind full cover. Or maybe give it passive truesight, assuming it can't communicate? That would apply to illusions, which would fit Investigation better than Perception.

the First Man: turning a target is a bit nuts. Maybe just frighten them?

Wicker Priest: Broken. I'm not even sure how to properly reduce it, considering limiting it to once per day is still probably too strong. Maybe give the horror a second reaction?

Corvidae: Why is this not a passive ability in its square? I'm not sure what the horror is based on, but why not treat it like a swarm?

Cannibal Butcher: Reduce that to Temp HP to itself.

Mirror Woman: What about making that ability a reaction when a creature makes a melee attack targeting the horror?

The Face Taker: Ability should probably be a reaction when a creature dies, and limited per day. And limit it to advantage with deception checks to pass as the target.

Tvtyrant
2019-10-28, 06:06 PM
So the basic goals are:
Add 1 skill.
Add a bonus action attack.
Add a cantrip level attack as an action.

At higher levels they can add a bonus action or cantrip to your allies as well. I can reduce it down to 6 horrors and each has three skills, you chose one when you summon it.

So the 6 cantrips define what the horrors are.

Tank ability that draws attacks to the horror. This is my goal for mirror woman.
Ability which helps an ally with a skill.
Ability which heals an ally.
Ability which moves allies on the battlefield.
Ability that deals area damage.
Ability which increases ally accuracy.