PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Warlock invocations and stacking spells?

Almostdead
2019-10-18, 09:48 PM
Normally if I cast multiple same spells on one person, only the last spell takes effect. But the previous spells are not removed or dispelled, just their effects become irrelevant.

So when an enemy cast dispel magic on that person. He has to roll dispel check for each of the ongoing spell. According to that, one can decrease the chance of effect being dispelled by casting multiple same spells on themselves.

Then the question is: What about warlock invocations? I didn't find any source that claimed last invocation cancel previous one. Then I suppose it works just like a spell does. But since invocations are all at will. Can I buff myself with infinite Fell Flight so that it won't be dispelled by enemy? (On the premise that enemy could fail his dispel check of course.)

I ask this question just for fun cause DM will certainly kill me for this kind of action. And after all, who would cast dispel magic on a puny warlock, right? :smallwink:

Troacctid
2019-10-18, 11:46 PM
You can stack it as many times as you like, and the multiples will be redundant because of the spell-stacking rules, which also apply to SLAs. So you can't get unlimited essentia with multiple instances of incarnum shroud. It will, of course, make you more resilient against dispels...unless that dispel is slashing dispel, in which case, uh, good luck.

Mr Adventurer
2019-10-19, 03:40 AM
There are spells that damage you according to the number of spells (or spell levels) you have on you. So watch out for that.

As well as slashing dispel, there's also reciprocating gyre.

Aotrs Commander
2019-10-19, 05:18 AM
There are spells that damage you according to the number of spells (or spell levels) you have on you. So watch out for that.

As well as slashing dispel, there's also reciprocating gyre.

Yeah.

You might think "but how often is the enemy going to have Reciprocal Gyre?" but, well, it only needs to happen once...

25D6 is a nasty way to get your day ruined - even if you only take half damage - when it can come in when you've only got 9D6 hit dice.

Mr Adventurer
2019-10-19, 06:36 AM
To be fair, against most PC parties at higher levels, it's a thing of terror!

Asmotherion
2019-10-19, 06:44 AM
Yeah.

You might think "but how often is the enemy going to have Reciprocal Gyre?" but, well, it only needs to happen once...

25D6 is a nasty way to get your day ruined - even if you only take half damage - when it can come in when you've only got 9D6 hit dice.

Depends. if you buffstac often... every 3rd caster you encounter will have it.

Thurbane
2019-10-20, 05:08 AM
Warlock layering invocations as defense against Dispels is something that comes up in optimization handbooks.

I'd never stopped to think of the implications this would have with the damaging-type dispel effects before. :smalleek:

Psyren
2019-10-20, 11:00 AM
If the only disincentive to layering spells (assuming resource management isn't an issue) is the potential danger from a very specific type of dispel, why not protect against that type of dispel explicitly? E.g. a spell immunity or spellblade keyed to slashing dispel or reciprocating gyre.

Almostdead
2019-10-20, 07:00 PM
If the only disincentive to layering spells (assuming resource management isn't an issue) is the potential danger from a very specific type of dispel, why not protect against that type of dispel explicitly? E.g. a spell immunity or spellblade keyed to slashing dispel or reciprocating gyre.

Good point, Ring of Counterspells could do the trick.
But still, probably better not to mess up with DM.:smallamused:

Mr Adventurer
2019-10-21, 02:40 AM
I feel like there are a small handful of spells that deal damage based on how many spells or spell levels you have up. Is there at least one more, or is it just slashing dispel and reciprocal gyre?

(Reciprocal gyre is d12s for damage, max 25d12, btw...)

Thurbane
2019-10-21, 03:02 AM
I feel like there are a small handful of spells that deal damage based on how many spells or spell levels you have up. Is there at least one more, or is it just slashing dispel and reciprocal gyre?

(Reciprocal gyre is d12s for damage, max 25d12, btw...)

There's also Voracious Dispelling, the Lesser Warlock/DFA invocation.

The greater invocation, Devour Magic, gives temporary hit points based on level of spells dispelled.

Feantar
2019-10-21, 12:30 PM
There's also Voracious Dispelling, the Lesser Warlock/DFA invocation.

The greater invocation, Devour Magic, gives temporary hit points based on level of spells dispelled.

Not to derail the thread, but that would mean that a warlock with obtain familiar and devour magic could get transfinite hit points with that power.

Troacctid
2019-10-21, 12:35 PM
Not to derail the thread, but that would mean that a warlock with obtain familiar and devour magic could get transfinite hit points with that power.
You would also need another feat to improve the familiar into something with a spell-like ability, like a lantern archon, and the temp HP only lasts a minute, but yes, that is correct.

Mr Adventurer
2019-10-21, 01:18 PM
Why do you need a familiar? Can't you just dispel your own invocations on yourself?

Almostdead
2019-10-21, 05:53 PM
Why do you need a familiar? Can't you just dispel your own invocations on yourself?

Devour Magic
Greater Invocation; 6th
This invocation allows you to deliver a targeted greater dispel magic with your touch. You gain 5 temporary hit points for each spell level dispelled by this touch. For example, if you successfully dispel a wall of ice, you gain 20 temporary hit points. These temporary hit points fade after 1 minute and do not stack with other temporary hit points. If you devour a new spell, you can replace the old temporary hit points with the ones gained from the more recent spell, thus resetting the duration. You cannot devour your own invocations

Feantar
2019-10-21, 05:57 PM

The invocation's rule text ends with "You cannot devour your own invocations". Which...sigh. You could have a pair of warlocks do each other but not a warlock by themselves. And yes, you'd need an external source of magic of at least 1st level. Maybe craft an at will item of something really useless (so your DM is okay with that) such as Deathwatch or Endure Elements, or even something like a Heightened Light?

Edit: Celeritied.

Mr Adventurer
2019-10-21, 06:01 PM
Ah. Well, they tried! :smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2019-10-21, 06:32 PM
You would also need another feat to improve the familiar into something with a spell-like ability, like a lantern archon, and the temp HP only lasts a minute, but yes, that is correct.

Would Sudden Extend make that two minutes? Still not a great duration even if it works.

There isn't a "Sudden Persist" or anything like that is there?

Also, does this clause mean you can only get HP from one spell, no matter how many spells are on the target: "If you devour a new spell, you can replace the old temporary hit points with the ones gained from the more recent spell, thus resetting the duration."