View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sorcerous Beam

Yunru
2019-10-19, 09:21 AM
1st Level Evocation
Casting Time: 2 actions
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
A beam of raw magic coalesces in your hand. Once you finish casting, it roars towards a point of your choosing 60 feet away in a beam 5 feet wide. Each creature in the beam's path must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 4d10 force damage.
The beam stops if it hits a solid object more than 5 feet thick.
At higher levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 2d10 for each level above 1st.

Some notes: The damage may seem a bit extreme (and indeed, the scaling is twice as strong as vanilla, and part of a homebrew spell overhaul), but it is supposed to be on par with the likes of Magic Missile. Also note that as a multi-turn spell, casting it requires your concentration.

BerzerkerUnit
2019-10-19, 03:52 PM
Without the greater context of your homebrew spell changes it’s impossible to determine if this is balanced.

As is, a beam attack that punches through every wall in a castle is big time broken.

Yunru
2019-10-19, 04:04 PM
Without the greater context of your homebrew spell changes it’s impossible to determine if this is balanced.The homebrew literally only affects the scaling.

As is, a beam attack that punches through every wall in a castle is big time broken.Umm... If your castle walls are only 5 feet thick I've got some bad news for you.

BerzerkerUnit
2019-10-19, 10:36 PM
Interior walls. Further, the exterior walls of a keep are often depicted as hallways with stone walls 2-3 feet thick with the hall in between. Interior supports and the buttressing to support an upper floor or ceiling account for much of the structural integrity. in those cases, you’re not generally seeing a wall that’s 5 or more solid feet.

If you’re going with historical architecture and a more simulationist game, exterior walls will stop it, but it would still punch a hole through most interior walls.

DeTess
2019-10-20, 03:41 AM
I think making this spell take more than one turn to cast is a mistake. I realize it's meant as a balancing but I think that this spell is not spectacular enough to be worth it to do nothing for a turn, and that any buff making it spectacular enough will probably break it.