PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder (PF) Can I get some help Polishing up my On- Spawn Brawler ?

Nosta
2019-10-19, 03:19 PM
I really want to keep the race and class
However I'd like to Trim and polish it up

Not sure on some of my feats or traits
same with items.
I am ok Dipping a level if it would benefit the build.

the goal is a highly defensive hand to hand fighter that can hit back just as hard as the hits he takes

also the race can not changed i rolled for it .

Class - Brawler (Strong-Side Boxer) 5th level character
VMC Barbaian (Mainly for Rage)

Stats
STR (20 / 22 With Belt) DEX (14) CON(12)
INT(8) WIS(14) CHA(8)

Traits -
1: Threanting Defender
2: ???

Feats

FEATS USED
Level (1) power Attack
Level (2) Armor of the pit
Level (3) VMC Barb
Level (5) Jabbing Style (Really unsure of this one)
Level (5) Combat exerptise

Items Base on wealth at 5th level

(1) Chain "Shirt" +1 (1100 GP)
(2) Buckler (+1) (1015 Gp)
(3) Amulet of Natural Armor (+2) (2000Gp)
(4) Belt Of giant STR (+2) (4000 GP)
(5) Cloak of Resistance (+1) (1000 GP)

Rynjin
2019-10-19, 05:56 PM
My advice? Drop Armor of the Pit, Jabbing Style, and Combat Expertise for sure, unless you want to take some kind of Combat Maneuver build.

Strong Side Boxers already have a pretty strong AC and spending a Feat to increase Natural Armor is a waste, while Combat Expertise is a pretty inefficient defensive bonus. Jabbing Style is likewise a poor damage increase.

Typically the best styles for OFFENSE are:

Dragon (increased Str to damage)
Pummeling (Pseudo-Pounce, effectively ignore Damage Reduction of all forms)

For DEFENSE:
Snake (use Sense Motive to negate attacks, then counter-attack; you get an Attack of Opportunity EVERY SINGLE TIME somebody misses an attack)
Snapping Tortoise (gain increased AC, punish attacks by counter-Grappling as an Immediate action)
Outslug (makes your 5 ft. steps way better, encourages mobility)

I would also reconsider the VMC of Barbarian; I've never been super impressed with VMC options and you need a lot of Feats if you want to dabble in Styles.

My proposed rework for a DEFENSIVE Brawler:

1.) Power Attack
2.) Combat Expertise
3.) Snake Style
5.) Improved Trip
5.) Combat Reflexes

Going forward, you take:

7.) Snake Sidewind
8.) Greater Trip
9.) Snake Fang
10.) Vicious Stomp

You have the prerequisite Feats for a lot of different Feats now to take with Martial Flexibility, so you can flex into stuff like Improved Bull Rush (and Hurricane Punch), or Improved Grapple and such as needed.

Remember that as a Brawler you are in a semi-unique position to actually get extra damage bonuses via an Armor property with the Brawling armor (which gives you +2 attack/damage with Close weapons). Though apparently it was nerfed into the ground at some point because Paizo hates unarmed attack users.

Nosta
2019-10-19, 06:03 PM
@ Rynjin

I see.

should I change my Stats at all?

Rynjin
2019-10-19, 06:27 PM
They look pretty solid for a Brawler, honestly.

Nosta
2019-10-19, 07:58 PM
They look pretty solid for a Brawler, honestly.

I also Gain 2 Character traits

any suggestions ?

Rynjin
2019-10-19, 08:09 PM
Traits are best used shoring up weak points, and in your case Will saves are a big one. There's a few traits that give a +1 Will save bonus, pick whichever flavor you like best.

Reactionary is always good, as are the "gain a +1 bonus to a skill and you have it as a Class Skill" ones, though with only 3 skill points per level that's not really a huge concern for you.

Kurald Galain
2019-10-20, 04:34 AM
I also Gain 2 Character traits

any suggestions ?

Heirloom Weapon or Bred for War are great if you're going to be tripping a lot.
Defensive Strategist is a possible alternative to combat reflexes.
Lessons of Chaldira and Glory of Old are the best traits for improving your saving throws.
Living Bulwark sounds fitting on a build like this.

Rynjin
2019-10-20, 02:19 PM
Kurald's advice is probably better than mine with regards to Traits; by the time I get down to them I'm already tired of building my character so just pick fast and easy minor bonuses, and don't even know all of the good ones any more.