PDA

View Full Version : Computer Looking for a computer game; Starship Troopers-like

Cikomyr
2019-10-19, 08:30 PM
Heya,

I am a tiny bit in a bummer moment, and I'd like some mindless sci-fi fun to take my mind of off things. I'm looking for suggestion at a game that's about shooting aliens. It could be a cool squad strategy, or maybe a third- or first-person shooter, but I want just the pleasure of blasting aliens.

Something like Space Marines, or maybe some of the X-Com game. I also played a board game named XenoShyft that, in my opinion, got the feeling across.

The game would be for PC. Are the recent Space Hulk FPS games good?

Thanks for the help.

The Glyphstone
2019-10-19, 11:47 PM
Have you tried DOOM 2016? It's pretty much nonstop frenetic alien demon blasting action.

Lvl 2 Expert
2019-10-20, 02:09 AM
If you don't mind older games, with all that entails, the Serious Sam series has a lot of Aliens to shoot.

Fair warning though: it's not actually very serious.

Cikomyr
2019-10-20, 12:42 PM
Have you tried DOOM 2016? It's pretty much nonstop frenetic alien demon blasting action.

Ooohhh that's a good idea

NRSASD
2019-10-20, 11:32 PM
Have you played XCom 2? Cause if not, I highly recommend. I also recommend Xenonauts, but it's definitely more brain intensive.

houlio
2019-10-21, 04:24 AM
Helldivers is a really fun twin-stick shooter very much in the vein of starship troopers. Probably best if you can get a friend to jump on with you, as the online community is fairly quiet now.

Wraith
2019-10-21, 06:49 AM
First- or Third-Person shooter where you kill aliens? Let's see...

Dead Space, as well as 2 and 3? Starts out more horror with survival elements, by 3 it's a more straight forward shooter.

Gears of War? I'm told that 3 is the best of the recent ones, though 4 has it's merits. 5 is supposed to be a bit of a let-down in terms of plot, but for mindless blasting it seems okay.

Warframe? You play as a robot-space-ninja, lots of manoeuvrability as you bounce around the scenery and mow down scores of cloned humans, robots and infested lien creatures.

Duke Nukem Forever? Despite the reviews it had, I found that if you can skip the mini-games as fast as possible then the actual gameplay loop is quite satisfying, in a "juvenile humour" kind of way.

Space Hulk: Deathwing? You mentioned Space Marine, there's now a co-op/squad-based FPS shooter set in the same universe where you purge the xenos filth from an abandoned space station, very atmospheric.

The Glyphstone
2019-10-21, 09:52 AM
Ooohhh that's a good idea

Rip and Tear!

Artanis
2019-10-21, 11:04 AM
There's also the Halo series. A couple of them have even been released on PC.

Cikomyr
2019-10-21, 01:44 PM
Thanks a lot guys!

keokeo68
2019-11-26, 09:49 PM
It might be a little funny, but I haven't thought of a game that comes to your mind other than chicken invaders

Kaptin Keen
2019-11-27, 02:00 AM
I've always liked Alien Swarm for something Starship Trooper-esque. It does kind of require a team though. But other than that it's quite brilliant. I also seem to recall it's free?!

Maybe it's free. Or I'm deluded. Or possibly both, it's not like the two are mutually exclusive.

Edit: I checked. Yes, it's free. And it now has a single player option.

warty goblin
2019-11-27, 05:06 PM
Crimsonland is perfect for this. Other games contain useless vestigial appendages like 'plot' or 'dialog' or even 'context.' Crimsonland however has removed these unfortunate distractions and in so doing become 100% pure violence. There's just you, a very large to endless number of aliens to shoot, and a variety of things to shoot them with. It's total and complete engagement for your lizard brain; which is sort of ironic because of all the lizards you shoot in the head.

DOOM 2016 is a valid answer to literally every question. Want to go out for dinner? DOOM 2016! Do you find the trade proposal acceptable? DOOM 2016! Will you marry me? DOOM 2016!

Look, if the person proposing doesn't accept that as an answer, why would you actually want to marry them anyway?

heronbpv
2019-11-27, 07:37 PM
DOOM 2016 is a valid answer to literally every question. Want to go out for dinner? DOOM 2016! Do you find the trade proposal acceptable? DOOM 2016! Will you marry me? DOOM 2016!

Look, if the person proposing doesn't accept that as an answer, why would you actually want to marry them anyway?

You're a man of culture, I see. DOOM 2016!

I lol'd xD

Man_Over_Game
2019-12-06, 02:22 PM
The Earth Defense Force games are weirdly fun.

3rd-person-shooter, RPG elements, different classes with different playstyles/goals, weapons have different mechanics. Shoot bugs the size of houses off of other houses.

It's kinda campy, but in a good way. Like, you don't play it for the intense graphics, you play it because you want to kill apocalyptic-sized ants and spiders with a mech or howitzer laser cannon.

noob
2019-12-09, 09:43 AM
Crimsonland is perfect for this. Other games contain useless vestigial appendages like 'plot' or 'dialog' or even 'context.' Crimsonland however has removed these unfortunate distractions and in so doing become 100% pure violence. There's just you, a very large to endless number of aliens to shoot, and a variety of things to shoot them with. It's total and complete engagement for your lizard brain; which is sort of ironic because of all the lizards you shoot in the head.

I think Doom 1993 is a fine alternative answer.
And the crazyness in some doom 2 megawads goes beyond most games(Deus Veult 2 for example is absurd(just look at how swarming the monsters are and how epic everything is in that wad)).