PDA

View Full Version : The Happiest Character In Any RPG

Bartmanhomer
2019-10-19, 10:14 PM
Who is the happiest character that you play in any RPG? :smile:

Quertus
2019-10-19, 10:42 PM
Happy? Um, maybe "Boing!", the insane Cleric of Pong, on a quest for the holy joystick, constantly breaking the 4th wall in incoherent ways (listing MtG casting costs for creatures encountered, randomly quoting movies that have nothing to do with the current situation, etc).

… I'm not sure I really do happy.

Anonymouswizard
2019-10-20, 03:27 AM
Who is the happiest character that you play in any RPG? :smile:

Happyman. His powet is to absorb other people's happiness top increase his own.

In all seriousness, probably Father Reichardt, Warrior-Priest of Sigmar. I went away from the Warhammer canon abs portrayed him as being somebody who was focused on spreading his faith peacefully than being a warrior,bur on the other hand he was happy to no longer be fighting in the ten year war that had just finished.

Enixon
2019-10-20, 09:45 AM
My various Barkeep NPCs when the players don't feel like keeping track of Silver and Copper pieces and just pay for everything with Gold. :smallbiggrin:

mucat
2019-10-20, 06:05 PM
Churrik the ratfolk merchant is pretty happy most of the time. He's certainly the most optimistic character I play; he assumes that every bend in the road hides some fascinating discovery, and every stranger he meets will soon be a friend (or better yet, a customer!)

Sometimes he's right. He befriended both the creepy human ghost child ("Silly mousie, I've lived here forever"(*)) and the grim-faced Orcish shamaness who had arrived to put the ghost to rest, and both of those turned out to be good moves. On the other hand, he does get quite upset when his hopes for a peaceful resolution are crushed; after learning why that ghost child was a ghost, he now faces necromancers and their poor undead minions with an incandescent, whisker-quivering fury that stands in sharp contrast to his usual mellow demeanor.

(*) Turns out the ghost had been haunting that site for about a week. But she had no memory of her mortal life, so as far as she knew, a week was forever.

Drache64
2019-10-20, 07:06 PM
Icarus of Pelor, the Paladin who attributes everything to Pelor and is a pacifist unless it's undead or demonic

Knaight
2019-10-20, 08:40 PM
Putting aside NPCs (which I've run a lot of), probably Nar. She started as a bit of a deliberate subversion of elven tropes, being a massive hulking warrior who favored heavy armor and a mace, shortened her name from Qualenaryius to Nar (despite "Kayla" being right there as an option), and who was generally pretty dumb.

Once that concept hit the other characters and was allowed to morph a bit to fit a group dynamic she ended up just a blissfully happy person, who generally tried her best to get along with everybody. Especially fellow party member Primus Ignacious, a very serious pyromancer who tried to put on a show of authority. Or, to Nar's eyes, Iggy.

False God
2019-10-20, 10:16 PM
I once had a druid who worshipped a fertility goddess (some nature/harvest something or other) and played her as basically baby crazy. The blooming flowers were incredible, baby animals were super adorbs, spring was her favorite season and she would randomly go over to children and start being silly with them. She'd coo and gush over expecting mothers. She was mostly regarded as a complete loon by anyone she encountered, but she was the sort of "nice crazy" that everyone just put up with because it made their kids giggle. Babies could barf in her face and she wouldn't even blink. But if someone hurt a hair on a child she'd turn into a bear and maul the offender to death (unless it was a child).

And she'd skip away afterward humming a happy tune.

Again...crazy, but happy.

stack
2019-10-21, 06:33 AM
I am amused but not surprised, given my play experience, that the happiest characters people can think of are all stupid and/or crazy. :smallbiggrin:

Sigreid
2019-10-21, 07:55 AM
My wizard who is named Hold My Beer in Romanian. He's very go with the flow and care free. Of course as a high level evoker his problems tend to explode.

Dienekes
2019-10-21, 04:26 PM
Sir Squeeb Goblin “Night”

As a young goblin Squeeb was rescued from a bear by a wandering paladin. And from that day on he dedicated his life to becoming a knight and introducing the concepts of honor and dignity to his goblin brethren. Of course being a pathfinder goblin from a wild tribe he was only really educated in the broad strokes about what a knight should be. Like kneeling before his chief (his “leech”) but not really knowing how long to remain in that position so he eventually just sits down. Or deciding to nobly stand watch not realizing this is normally done in shifts so he eventually falls asleep in the dirt. But always standing up for what’s right and just with a positive and helpful attitude.

Honestly one of my favorite characters I ever played.

Absolutely useless for anything other than roleplay though. Pathfinder goblins are not built to play a strength class.

LameGothMom
2019-10-21, 06:36 PM
Tingles the elf, from a Warhammer campaign. He was based on David Sedaris.

Knaight
2019-10-21, 07:17 PM
I am amused but not surprised, given my play experience, that the happiest characters people can think of are all stupid and/or crazy. :smallbiggrin:

Both of those lend themselves well to really extreme emotions - which makes them overrepresented in any emotional category ending in "-est".

Duff
2019-10-21, 07:42 PM
In defiance of the difficult Paladins, I played a laid back, sensible Paladin.
Not silly, but the sort of laid back which comes from being *very* secure.
She had grown up as a brat, been "Called" and had gone through the insufferable stage before joining the campaign. She had the brains (int and wisdom) to be confident in her decisions about when to lecture, when to smite, when to cajole and when to walk away.

Kaptin Keen
2019-10-22, 01:04 AM
The happiest character I ever played would still be a surly old bastard by any other measure than that the others were all even surlier old bastards. So I suppose the least surly old bastard I ever played was Grell the half-orc paladin. His backstory was that he was a slave child who somehow survived his fathers tendency to have his halfbreed children fight his war wolves in the pit.

So yea. Not ... like, all pink and rainbows and unicorns.

Luccan
2019-10-22, 01:25 AM
I've wanted to run a tiefling Folk Hero druid (possibly multiclassed with feylock or just that instead) for a while who was raised by kinder fairies in the woods. He'd be kinda oblivious to the viciousness tieflings normally see since he was in a harmonious place and his first contact with mortals was saving a small village, pretty much dashing out any distrust he would've faced.

That I've actually played, though? Balnar "Dullscales" Myasam, a somewhat slow but very boisterous copper Dragonborn Fighter. My first 5e character, he was a bit of a flirt (though only consentually) and liked to tell jokes and stories. He saw fighting as enjoyable and honorable (the actual act of battle, that is. He was totally fine with an ambush if it made practical sense), but didn't judge those who chose a different path than him. He also wasn't sensitive about his shortcomings, for the most part. I'd like to run him for another game, since I didn't get to play him much, but he and the bard were trying to teach the young wizard in the party to be more confident in romance.

Spore
2019-10-22, 02:27 AM
In defiance of the difficult Paladins, I played a laid back, sensible Paladin.

While my Halfling paladin was not as laid back, I rped him as an incredible optimist. He was serious enough in any given context. But if the situation did not call for a serious demeanor, he was incredibly jolly and happy but not to an insanely broken degree.

His mentor fabricated an orc siege on a dwarven city to advance his own trading company. He forgave him.
His friend died to a Balor. He honored her sacrifice by continuing his quest.
The central city of his belief was devastated by a large-scale attack of a necromancer shortly after his initiation but his faith did not waver.
The villain disintegrated his favorite mount while hovering over him and laughing at his misery.
His own father is a minion in a scheme to make nightmarish demons real via the distribution of a magical drug. He did relieve him of the family business and gives him and his evil brother a chance to redeem themselves.
When he struck down the evil artifact making the green dragon insane rather than killing the guardian, his remaining friends were whisked away into the dream realm, most likely roaming someone's dreams forever. He tries to make a bargain with the fairy queen residing over the realm to aid him in his battle to save the world.

All while I expected the character to be killed from pardoning all these vile and despicable creatures he fought. Any other character would've had a crisis of faith but not Caldric. Because he needs to be strong for his group, for the world.

Yea, I feel this is the happiest character given the circumstances.

Lord Haart
2019-10-22, 04:49 AM
By the time the campaign ended, Dr. Frankie the commercial veterinarian robot had traded his latest meatware body for a half-WALL-E half-ЕD-209 (http://www.writeups.org/wp-content/uploads/ED209-Robocop-h1.jpg) chassis, complete with self-aware shoulder-mounted turrets; recovered control over a still-functioning surveillance satellite; obtained Death's original scythe, a suitcase full of gray goo nanobots, and at last bought a Walther PPK; had held the fate of humankind in his manipulators, and in a moment of catharsis chose to leave the meatbags alive; and got to euthanase and prosect two party members, most curious mutant specimens with a lot of scientific value.

I'd say he became the happiest murderhobo in all of the post-apocalyptic Russia.

Spore
2019-10-22, 07:36 AM
I'd say he became the happiest murderrobo in all of the post-apocalyptic Russia.

Thou shalt be corrected!

Scripten
2019-10-22, 08:12 AM
Father Lloyd, Cleric of #$?@&, God of Revelry and Excess. He's shown up both as a player character and as an NPC twenty (game) years in the future. As a player character, he's a jolly drunken life cleric who's entire shtick is giving off good vibes and being a Chaotic Good version of The Dude. As an NPC, he's taken on a mentorship role for younger characters and is a jolly drunken life cleric who's entire shtick is being a slightly less respectable version of Uncle Iroh crossed with all the good vibes of The Dude.

The Library DM
2019-10-22, 11:09 AM
My 1e elven Fighter/Magic-user/Thief was always pretty happy when he found a nice supply of gold or gems carelessly enclosed in a double-locked chest in a vault with only two traps in a fourth floor room with a barred window on a tower guarded by a few fighters and maybe an assassin. I mean, people should be more careful with their valuables! :smallcool:

But the happiest was probably Wulfgar the Barbarian (no relation*) who was just a fighter with a penchant for fur clothing, a big gold belt, and a double-bladed axe. Oo, look! A fight! In charges Wulfgar, happy as can be. Oo, look! A tavern! In charges Wulfgar, happy as can be.:smallbiggrin:

(*My Wulfgar was created before the novels and before the Barbarian class. Totally 1e Fighter, all the way. I had the name first, too.)

Ken Murikumo
2019-10-22, 01:39 PM
Played a character that was a drunk sailor (read: pirate) who was actually an ancient dragon. He was so old (and drunk) that he, in fact, forgot he was a dragon. He just happily and drunkenly went along with everyone and had a genuinely great time.

In the setting, the older the dragon the longer the name becomes to represent life events. His name was crazy long and he forgot the whole thing. Everyone just called him Brell (which was a single syllable of his long name).

He was just as surprised as the rest of party when they went looking for "the oldest dragon" for plot reasons, only to find himself as the destination.

Duff
2019-10-22, 07:28 PM
Played a character that was a drunk sailor (read: pirate) who was actually an ancient dragon. He was so old (and drunk) that he, in fact, forgot he was a dragon. He just happily and drunkenly went along with everyone and had a genuinely great time.

In the setting, the older the dragon the longer the name becomes to represent life events. His name was crazy long and he forgot the whole thing. Everyone just called him Brell (which was a single syllable of his long name).

He was just as surprised as the rest of party when they went looking for "the oldest dragon" for plot reasons, only to find himself as the destination.

That sounds hilarious

Ravens_cry
2019-10-23, 02:36 AM
He's long dead, in fact, I played his ex-wife who came to hunt him down after he passed on, but the happiest character I played was Fablioso Barbosa Hakuna Matata the Third, gnome Life Mystery Oracle in Pathfinder. Absolutely fabulous and near Harkness level of pansexual, he was an incredibly blithe and go-lucky fool. He tried to bed a dragon, but the dragon, alas, rejected his advances, though it did little to dampen his spirits.