PDA

View Full Version : Need Character Help

Sparky McDibben
2019-10-20, 12:19 AM
Hey Playgrounders,

I have a character for an upcoming campaign, and I'm stuck on backstory. His stats are as follows:

Variant Human Fighter 1 (going Battlemaster)

STR: 11 (+/-0)
DEX: 19 (+4)
CON: 17 (+3)
INT: 13 (+1)
WIS: 13 (+1)
CHA: 7 (-2)

For feats I took Ritual Caster (Druid) because I want him to have a druidic vibe. I'd like to take Magic Initiate (Druid) as well. He has a longbow, rapier and shield (dueling fighting style), and his Dex focus means he can hit from anywhere. The focus of the campaign will be in a civilization ruled by magi (of all stripes except warlocks, not just arcane casters), and the characters will be vigilantes judging these casters for their various crimes.

I was thinking of al'Lan Mandragoran from the Wheel of Time as far as inspiration, but the whole "lost prince banished from his kingdom" feels...trite? I mean, it'll do, but does anyone have anything better? I'm sorry to bother y'all, but I'm fried.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-20, 02:06 AM
First there is this guy who write amazing backgrounds.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?591882-Need-a-character-background-written-up

Second, I think a Druid apprentice will fit.
You can be an orphan, a kid who family send to the Druid so he will be able to make a living for himself and similar stuff.

Sparky McDibben
2019-10-20, 08:53 AM
I was wondering how long it would be before someone lit the Tawmis-signal.

Good idea on the druid's apprentice.

dragoeniex
2019-10-20, 11:09 AM
In a team of vigilantes, I'd expect revenge to be a fairly common motivator. One interesting way to subvert that while still keeping a personal tie to casters would be to have this fighter be a sibling to a full caster.

Maybe he grew up in a druid grove but didn't have the same affinity for magic as his sister or brother. Or maybe the sibling was a nature cleric. Either way, perhaps this sibling was the older of the two and patiently tutored the fighter so he could learn a few tricks (the cantrips) too as they grew up. It's a close, endearing bond with the parent(s) perhaps too busy with running a grove or getting into city politics to have provided the same, personal touch.

But sibling's talents are noticed, one day, and they're visited by a powerful politician who praises her or him and asks they join the politician's cause. Better training and resources await there, and they'll be able to truly master their craft. Plus, it would be unheard of to turn down such an offer. Optionally, there could even be some threats and coersion used if sibling is reluctant to join- perhaps knowing this person is rumored to have abused their power in the past. Sibling leaves with politician.

Years later, there are now some not-so-nice rumors about sibling. They've grown out of their teen years and developed their powers and have had their name attached to some shady things. Fighter has been unable to get much contact with sibling- just brief, dwindling letters that stopped over time- and doesn't know if sibling has been corrupted or is trapped in a situation they still can't get out of.

Another possibility is they've found a group of people or a secret they must defend from inside the system. Sibling always was the kind sort.

While sibling was the golden child, fighter did his best to be at least a silver child and trained hard to be a weapons-using guard to defend their grove/chapel/town and family. It wasn't work that got as much praise, but he was able to find a variety of mentors in the more veteran guards. Happy to finally find a skill he was gifted in, fighter begged lessons off the archer, the swordsman, the brawler-- anyone who would teach him anything. And he developed a knack for switching between tactics to throw opponents off their rhythm in battle.

Now, years later, something happens to the home. Needed trade for a steady supply of food is cut off, or the heads of the chapel are killed for refusing to sell the building, or a sickness is spreading while promised medical aid never comes. And the horrible thing is that fighter knows politician must be attached to this. Politician is in charge of much of the trade and could easily send supplies or aid, or politician was the one who paid another visit to buy important buildings- dropping compliments and veiled threats like last time.

And where was sibling? A silent member of the entourage, ignoring any calls for assistance? Or worryingly absent, with no indication whether they support this or are trapped and in danger as well?

Fighter always knew corruption existed, but with it taking so much from his home, he can't turn a blind eye now. He has to help stop this abuse of power. And even further, he has to know what truly became of sibling. He must find his brother or sister and speak with them in person for the first time in a decade, and he must know. If they've become captive to the politician's machinations, or if they've lost their way and have taken those teachings to heart... In danger or in support...

And fighter doesn't know which answer he fears more.

Tawmis
2019-10-20, 12:06 PM
First there is this guy who write amazing backgrounds.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?591882-Need-a-character-background-written-up

I will send you the 20 gold later! :smallwink:

Indeed - if you post whatever information you have about your character in my thread, I'd be more than happy to dive into writing a backstory for them.

Sparky McDibben
2019-10-20, 04:21 PM
Indeed - if you post whatever information you have about your character in my thread, I'd be more than happy to dive into writing a backstory for them.

Done. Thanks!