PDA

View Full Version : Request for help with a build

F.L.
2007-10-17, 11:52 AM
Does anyone know a way to get 9th level arcane spellcasting on a lich character at level 20?

Edit: I mean 9th level spells, obviously, not 9 levels of spellcasting. That's trivially easy, and sort of what the lich template does.

cupkeyk
2007-10-17, 12:27 PM
Does anyone know a way to get 9th level arcane spellcasting on a lich character at level 20?

Edit: I mean 9th level spells, obviously, not 9 levels of spellcasting. That's trivially easy, and sort of what the lich template does.

Twenty levels of dread necromancer from heroes of horror.

Nermy
2007-10-17, 12:36 PM
Well the simplest way would be to get to level 20 in a base spellcasting class and then become a Lich.

mostlyharmful
2007-10-17, 12:44 PM
if you can convince your DM to allow LA buy back rules ala the SRD that should give you only a level or two behind the rest of the party and ninth level spells, this seems very reasonable to me because while an aruement could be made that liche is worth +4 at level 11 it certainly isn't by level 20

Draz74
2007-10-17, 12:50 PM
Character Level 20, Challenge Rating 20, or Effective Character Level 20? Three very different problems.

See previous post for your answer if you meant Character Level.

CR 20 isn't much harder. Just make an 18th-level Wizard with Lich template.

You probably meant ECL 20. That's much harder, since Lich is LA +4 and 16th-level casters don't usually have 9th-level spells. You'll need to either:

- get the Lich template without the LA. Best way to do this is the Dread Necromancer class, like someone else said; but your spell selection will be limited to necromancy-type stuff. You could also check out the "LA buyoff" optional rule in Unearthed Arcana; if your DM allows it, you could use it to eventually reduce your Lich LA to +3, so you could be a Wizard 17.

- Be a type of caster who gets 9th-level spells before Level 17. There are some "accelerated casting PrCs" that do this, but I'm not sure which ones to recommend. Ur-Priest is Divine and you wanted Arcane. Does Bard 10 / Sublime Chord 6 get 9th Level spells? I'm not sure. (Bard Lich. Hehe. :smallamused: )

cupkeyk
2007-10-17, 12:57 PM
Character Level 20, Challenge Rating 20, or Effective Character Level 20? Three very different problems.

See previous post for your answer if you meant Character Level.

CR 20 isn't much harder. Just make an 18th-level Wizard with Lich template.

You probably meant ECL 20. That's much harder, since Lich is LA +4 and 16th-level casters don't usually have 9th-level spells. You'll need to either:

- get the Lich template without the LA. Best way to do this is the Dread Necromancer class, like someone else said; but your spell selection will be limited to necromancy-type stuff. You could also check out the "LA buyoff" optional rule in Unearthed Arcana; if your DM allows it, you could use it to eventually reduce your Lich LA to +3, so you could be a Wizard 17.

- Be a type of caster who gets 9th-level spells before Level 17. There are some "accelerated casting PrCs" that do this, but I'm not sure which ones to recommend. Ur-Priest is Divine and you wanted Arcane. Does Bard 10 / Sublime Chord 6 get 9th Level spells? I'm not sure. (Bard Lich. Hehe. :smallamused: )

What level would a Bard8/Ur-Priest2/Sublime Chord1/Mystic Theurge X get 9th level spells for both arcane and Divine. That would make an awesome lich.

Storm Bringer
2007-10-17, 01:06 PM
(Bard Lich. Hehe. :smallamused: )

the true scource of goth rock!

I now have the image of Athas playing his electric guitar from warcraft 3: frozen throne credits stuck in my head.

F.L.
2007-10-17, 02:02 PM
ECL 20. And a sublime chord would fit the theme I suppose.

Darrin
2007-10-17, 02:09 PM

Sublime Chord won't work. You can't get into Sublime Chord before ECL 11, and you need at least 8 more levels of it to get 9th level spells.

I can't recall... would an Orange Prism Ioun Stone (+1 caster level) give a 16th level Wizard the ability to cast 9th level spells?

If not... hmm... Candle of Invocation, maybe? That would let a 15th level cleric prepare spells as if he were 17th level. Miracle then gives you access to any arcane spell 7th level or lower. Or the Custom Domain feat would let you swap in some arcane spells as domain spells. Any particular reason it has to be arcane spellcasting?

Huh. Ok, now this is probably a horrible stretch of RAW, but let's say a Cleric 1/Wizard 15 lit the candle... the description doesn't explicitly say it only boosts divine spellcasting abilities, so an argument could be made that he can prepare spells as a Cleric 3/Wizard 17. But I have a hard time imaging any DM allowing such an interpretation... or allowing Candles of Invocation in the first place, if only for the Gate cheese.