PDA

View Full Version : Glyph Beacons in a Bag

Phhase
2019-10-20, 09:01 PM
So, Glyph of Warding has an interesting property where you can store a concentration spell (A buff for example) in it , and when triggered, it will concentrate on it for you. However, you can't move the object more than 10 feet, or it doesn't work. What happens if you put the Glyph on an object that is inside a Bag of Holding/Haversack/Portable Hole? Since the extradimensional space they open up to is static, does this mean you can take the bag (and glyph) anywhere you like?

Dork_Forge
2019-10-20, 09:28 PM
So, Glyph of Warding has an interesting property where you can store a concentration spell (A buff for example) in it , and when triggered, it will concentrate on it for you. However, you can't move the object more than 10 feet, or it doesn't work. What happens if you put the Glyph on an object that is inside a Bag of Holding/Haversack/Portable Hole? Since the extradimensional space they open up to is static, does this mean you can take the bag (and glyph) anywhere you like?

As a DM I wouldn't allow this because of the great potential for abuse it has. In terms of rules that seems iffy as you would have to cast the spell whilst the object was inside the bag. So perhaps if you got inside the bag, though it would be a fair interpretation that leaving the dimension that it was cast in would constitute more than 10ft, so the item would go off immediatly after exiting the bag.

Phhase
2019-10-20, 09:50 PM
As a DM I wouldn't allow this because of the great potential for abuse it has. In terms of rules that seems iffy as you would have to cast the spell whilst the object was inside the bag. So perhaps if you got inside the bag, though it would be a fair interpretation that leaving the dimension that it was cast in would constitute more than 10ft, so the item would go off immediatly after exiting the bag.

Well, I was thinking you could just reach in and touch it to trigger, but you've got the gist of what i was going for, yeah. And yeah, it's pretty powerful. Especially considering it would potentially work with Symbol too.

BruceLeeroy
2019-10-20, 10:32 PM
This is an old trick. Due to the lack of clarity on the exact nature of extradimensional space, it's entirely up to your DM if it works or not.

If it works, it breaks the game in half around 9th-10th level, unless you're purposely playing a super high powered game.

I'm gonna unleash it in my campaign at about level 13. (Im the DM)

Phhase
2019-10-20, 10:41 PM
This is an old trick. Due to the lack of clarity on the exact nature of extradimensional space, it's entirely up to your DM if it works or not.

If it works, it breaks the game in half around 9th-10th level, unless you're purposely playing a super high powered game.

I'm gonna unleash it in my campaign at about level 13. (Im the DM)

What are some classic combos?

Damon_Tor
2019-10-21, 10:57 AM
It isn't clear what the nature of the extra dimensional space is.

For example, what's the orientation of gravity like inside the bag? Is the entrance to the bag always "up"? If you put the bag sideways on a table with the opening on its side, does the gravity inside the bag reflect this change? If you turn the bag upside down and shake it, do things fall out? None of this is clear, but we know that the bag disgorges everything stored inside it when the bag is turned inside out, so there is some spacial relationship between the bags interior and exterior. So it's entirely possible the dimensional space can be considered moving as the bag moves.

BruceLeeroy
2019-10-21, 06:47 PM
It isn't clear what the nature of the extra dimensional space is.

For example, what's the orientation of gravity like inside the bag? Is the entrance to the bag always "up"? If you put the bag sideways on a table with the opening on its side, does the gravity inside the bag reflect this change? If you turn the bag upside down and shake it, do things fall out? None of this is clear, but we know that the bag disgorges everything stored inside it when the bag is turned inside out, so there is some spacial relationship between the bags interior and exterior. So it's entirely possible the dimensional space can be considered moving as the bag moves.

Right, that's why it's a DM call.

PPhase, as far as classic combos, there's nothing stopping you from making a portable hole filled with glyphs that are all set to a trigger word, like "Shazam!". Boom, every spell that meets the criteria all at once, without concentration required. The criteria is "3rd level or lower + single creature or area". So, Haste, Mirror Image, Blur, Invisibility, Mage Armor, False Life, Expeditious Retreat, Disguise Self, Detect Magic, Alter Self, See Invisibility, Blink, Vampiric Touch, Melf's Minute Meteors, Enlarge/Reduce, Phantom Steed, Water Breathing.

That's just off the Wizard list, and I probably missed some. Glyph of Warding is on the cleric and bard list, too, so theoretically any spell in the game that meets the criteria is available courtesy of the bard.

micahaphone
2019-10-21, 09:22 PM
To me this screams shenanigans and against RAI. If a bag of holding is connected to the astral plane (or other planes), I would rule that the paper crossing the threshold of the bag is moving the glyph further than 10 feet.

But if your DM likes shenanigans and you have lots of money to spare, have at it. Might want to check with them ahead of time