PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Life and Death wizard flavor vs function.

Dreadfull
2019-10-21, 09:04 AM
Making a back up character. Level 11. Enough starting gold to buy whatever i want. (Avg party wealth is 15K).
Can't buy magic items weapons and armor of higher than common rarity except one uncommon thing. Scrolls to learn from are an exception to the wizard, so yay i guess.
May use XGE downtime rules to craft your own items. (abuse to earn more starting gold not allowed, purely to equip).

Concept is ultimate life and death wizard worshiping an old gold that says he embodies the cycle of life and death but is actually corrupting the world by making this character drain life from one character and give life to seemingly random people in the land to gain a foothold in this world. (every resurrected character has made a deal with the old god). This build is not about creating and controlling undead but about killing and reviving the right people.
Want to make it a theurgy wizard for most if not all of its levels.
Now there are several ways to go about this.

Race:
Fallen aasimar, because fits great with the flavor and more. Could also make the old god the spirit guide.
Gith because armor proficiency.
Variant human, because Feat.

Class:
Life theurgy 11: 6th level spells, flavor I'd like for the concept.
Fighter 1/Life theurgy 11: armor profiency and fighting style
fighter 2/Life theurgy 11: 2 attack spells per round? sure why not.
Cleric 1/Life theurgy 11: Second domain, armor proficiency and other lvl 1 goodnes.

Now the life domain makes me heal myself when i heal others, which i can do with necromancer spells while dealing damage. So spending actions to heal myself will be a lot less wasteful.

So here come the questions/parts where i could use some advice.

1. Any other viable/good races? I rolled an 18 so don't need an INT race.

2. I don't want to dip anything for armor because flavor, but see some problems happening with survivability if i don't. Haven't seen many pure wizards yet so not sure if it's better to go for the standard mage armor/shield etc spells or straight up get an armor proficiency but possibly losing access to my 6th level spells at level 11. Now i have access to cleric spells in a limited way so maybe just waste a 4th level slot on deathward daily or maybe get shield of faith? What are good options to increase survivability?

3. Never really played healer. Which are the essential healing cleric and wizard spells?

4. Would it be worth taking magic initiate for the shillelagh spell? I mostly like the flavor but again not sure what druid spell to pick as 1st level spell. There aren't many druid spells left i don't already have access to so i'm lookng for suggestions the druid can get but wizard and cleric can't.

5. What other utility would a healer/drainer wizard need to be viable in combat? Any suggestions from the cleric and wizard list are welcome.

So yeah I'm caught between flavor and function. I want to be a full level aasimar caster in a robe with a staff wearing a mask. with too many spells and virtually no gear Who decides over life and death on an old god's whimsy.
But i might end up being a (heavily) armored wizard with two shields cause a lot of necromancer spells have touch as range and being close to people hurts when you are squishy.
I'm hoping some people here know about options that i overlooked or didn't even think/know about. Please help me think myself out of the corner.

CheddarChampion
2019-10-21, 09:03 PM
What stats did you roll exactly? Are you allowed to shuffle them around?

1. If you have a good Dex, you could go with an elf/halfling of some kind and use mage armor/shield.
2. For armor, maybe get elven chain if you need better AC? 14+Dex (max 2) can be pretty good and you are considered proficient because of its nature. However, if you have/can get a nice 14 in Wis, a Cleric dip will do wonders - you'll get 5 cleric spells (though based on Wis) that you can upcast with your slots, freeing up more spells to prepare as a wizard.
3a. Healing word is good because it's a bonus action and at range. Warding Bond pairs well with life cleric level 6. Mass HW is good too. Heal/Mass Heal are very good. Regenerate is good bang for your buck in the right circumstances.
3b. Preventative medicine is better than healing mid battle. If shield of faith if it blocks just one hit, is better than 1d8+Int/Wis+2+spell level (1) HP at high levels.
3c. Vampiric touch and life transference are just about the only healing spells wizard gets. To get weird with the life/death thing, maybe clone?
4. Short version, don't bother. Long version - let your more tanky allies fight in melee. If you must, then use booming/green flame blade, but you won't be particularly effective or even safe.
5. Bless/Bane, Haste/Slow(?), Spare the Dying, Chill Touch (prevent healing), Inflict Wounds, Gentle Repose (prevent necromancy), Death Ward, Lesser/Greater Restoration, Harm, Revivify/Raise Dead/Resurrection/True Resurrection.

Finally, ask your DM if you can spend money on learning extra spells during character creation. As a wizard with ritual casting, there are many cleric spells that might be handy. Search the web for a ritual casting guide and read through the cleric rituals.

Dreadfull
2019-10-22, 11:59 AM
What stats did you roll exactly? Are you allowed to shuffle them around?
Yes I'm allowed to assign my rolls. I rolled 10, 15, 18, 17, 11, 12

1. If you have a good Dex, you could go with an elf/halfling of some kind and use mage armor/shield.
Honestly I don't like halflings at all so that would make it an Elf/half elf. Or i could assign the 17 to dex.

2. For armor, maybe get elven chain if you need better AC? 14+Dex (max 2) can be pretty good and you are considered proficient because of its nature. However, if you have/can get a nice 14 in Wis, a Cleric dip will do wonders - you'll get 5 cleric spells (though based on Wis) that you can upcast with your slots, freeing up more spells to prepare as a wizard.
Yeah and it removes the need to learn and spam mage armor.

3a. Healing word is good because it's a bonus action and at range. Warding Bond pairs well with life cleric level 6. Mass HW is good too. Heal/Mass Heal are very good. Regenerate is good bang for your buck in the right circumstances.
Healing word sounds amazing and fits the concept. Healing by speaking and pointing just like killing by speaking and pointing.

3b. Preventative medicine is better than healing mid battle. If shield of faith if it blocks just one hit, is better than 1d8+Int/Wis+2+spell level (1) HP at high levels.
True, and missing all those kind of spells made me think twice about the concept as I had it. Thanks.

3c. Vampiric touch and life transference are just about the only healing spells wizard gets. To get weird with the life/death thing, maybe clone?
yeah I like clone with this theme. That's a great suggestion I hadn't thought of yet.

4. Short version, don't bother. Long version - let your more tanky allies fight in melee. If you must, then use booming/green flame blade, but you won't be particularly effective or even safe.
Yeah the only reason i was even wondering about this is that a lot of these necromancy spells have a touch range. Thinking i might end up in close combat because of that i started worrying about AC and being able to survive in close combat when needed.

5. Bless/Bane, Haste/Slow(?), Spare the Dying, Chill Touch (prevent healing), Inflict Wounds, Gentle Repose (prevent necromancy), Death Ward, Lesser/Greater Restoration, Harm, Revivify/Raise Dead/Resurrection/True Resurrection.
I'm thinking of just getting all the cleric necromancy (not many) and heal spells I can get from the theurgy class as long as they aren't also available from arcane scrolls. All the necromancer arcane spells I will just buy as scroll/learn at the start and this way i will build a pretty large repertoire of life and death spell

Finally, ask your DM if you can spend money on learning extra spells during character creation. As a wizard with ritual casting, there are many cleric spells that might be handy. Search the web for a ritual casting guide and read through the cleric rituals.
I'm basically allowed to buy all the spells i want that my classes have access to as long as i can realistically learn it.
I got enough money to buy all the necromancy arcane spells available in the game and then some as long as i don't need to also get the scrolls for them. Currently talking about this with my DM actually.

Thinking of just straight up putting in the backstory that my character found an old necromancer's tome under the guidance of the old god where he got all these necromancer spells from. This would just make me pay copy costs as long as it gets allowed. The existing party all has pretty decent level gear and a few things as rewards. To be on par i think it will be allowed if i don't get fancy gear with the way the DM is. The DM for this game seems to value being able to hand out magic items of his choice so it might even make him happy.