PDA

View Full Version : If the fighting styles where feats something would break?

Trandir
2019-10-21, 12:41 PM
I was just wondering about this. Would it be balanced if the fighting styles where also feats?

Protolisk
2019-10-21, 12:44 PM
I think they are pretty weak for just one for a feat. Maybe as half feats they'd be pretty strong.

It does mean you can continue single classing instead of multiclassing or needing to be Champion.

stoutstien
2019-10-21, 12:52 PM
If you are talking about fighting styles there are two options that are fairly balanced.
Make it a half feat with strength or Dex.

Add to the feat that also gives Battle Master maneuvers. Martial adept.

just make sure you include the writing that doesn't allow fighting styles to stack upon themselves and it'll be fine

GlenSmash!
2019-10-21, 12:59 PM
If you are talking about fighting styles there are two options that are fairly balanced.
Make it a half feat with strength or Dex.

Add to the feat that also gives Battle Master maneuvers. Martial adept.

just make sure you include the writing that doesn't allow fighting styles to stack upon themselves and it'll be fine

Martial Adept could certainly use the buff.

Weapon Master is another one that could come with a Fighting Style.

Mongobear
2019-10-21, 01:00 PM
I offer this Feat in almost all games. Same caveat that you can't have the same style twice.

Combat Style Training
You gain one of the Fighting Styles available to Fighters (PHB page X).

Increase your Strength of Dexterity by +1.

The only classes I see taking it consistently are Barbarians, and the occasional Rogue.

stoutstien
2019-10-21, 01:06 PM
Martial Adept could certainly use the buff.

Weapon Master is another one that could come with a Fighting Style.
I did use it at first with weapon master but honestly martial weapons are both a very small upgrade over simple (~1 damage) and easy to get proficiency in it.
I ended up just cutting it out completely.

stoutstien
2019-10-21, 01:07 PM
I offer this Feat in almost all games. Same caveat that you can't have the same style twice.

Combat Style Training

The only classes I see taking it consistently are Barbarians, and the occasional Rogue.

Monks taking it was the surprising one at my games.

GlenSmash!
2019-10-21, 01:17 PM

Dueling I assume?

Mariner would be pretty sweet too.

Willie the Duck
2019-10-21, 01:20 PM

Monks and barbarians getting it. Possibly rogues with twf as well (although even then it is just a small damage boost). Given the relatively restrained number of monks, barbarians, or Dex-based paladins (to pick up ranged fighting style) that dip a level of fighter, I think that it is safe to say that it doesn't break anything.

stoutstien
2019-10-21, 01:35 PM
Dueling I assume?

Mariner would be pretty sweet too.

My games now have 8 styles total to pick from so it's all over the place. They tend to go for AC bonuses which I get as monks.

And alot of archery and throwing style picks for monks. Flavor picks and flexibility which I like seeing.

JakOfAllTirades
2019-10-21, 05:52 PM

Combat Style Training

BladeLocks should be all over this. It's also good for Fighters looking to pick up a 2nd style; they've got they extra slots for it.

Mongobear
2019-10-21, 06:00 PM
BladeLocks should be all over this. It's also good for Fighters looking to pick up a 2nd style; they've got they extra slots for it.

We hardly ever see a Warlock, let alone a BladeLock, same with Monk which is why I forgot to mention them.

I've seen more TWFing Barbarians/Rogues than I have BladeLocks.

Greywander
2019-10-22, 01:57 AM
I was just wondering about this. Would it be balanced if the fighting styles where also feats?
I got you covered. Here's what I use:

Fighting Style
Increase your Strength or Dexterity score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
You learn one fighting style of your choice.
If you chose the Protection fighting style, you also gain proficiency with shields.
If you chose the Defense fighting style, you also gain proficiency in light and medium armor.
If you chose any other fighting style, you gain proficiency in any two weapons of your choice.
You may take this feat more than once.

This feat also supercedes Lightly Armored and Weapon Master, and partially overlaps with Moderately Armored, as I felt those feats were also a bit weak. Most classes either already have light armor or have something equivalent (Unarmored Defense, Mage Armor, etc.), so giving light and medium armor together made more sense to me.