PDA

View Full Version : Wizards and wizarding and dip

ThatoneGuy84
2019-10-21, 03:06 PM
Wizard dip options.

So we have been at this campaign from 1-18 so far, oviously a long standing "house game". My group generally plays 1/week, so we have been at this one over a year.

My wizard is level 18 (bladesinger path)
I'm wondering now, if I should bother going for 20 or drop a 2 level dip.

Half elf
Str 8 (25 belt of giant str)
Dex 18
Con 14
Int 22
Wis 12
Char 14

Now ASI could easily go to dex + 1 Ac(but I dont care that much)
Gear is
Staff of power (reflavored/crafted to a short Sword)
Robe of Arch magi
Belt of giant str (25)

Effective AC is high enough I'm not terribly worried about 1 ASI for dex (I use str for attack hense the belt)

Should I multiclass 2 level dip?
I dont care much for the 20 capstone wizard (18 I wanted hense no dip so far)
Multi class options
Fighter - 2 levels great for Action surge, fighting style
Rouge - skills/expertise - but cant use sneak att much with the exception of upcadting shadow blade
Warlock - 2 level shenanigans
Sorc 2 (kinda meh since no meta magic)

Wisdom/Str chars out cause no prerequisites

Opinions are great!!!!

Bobthewizard
2019-10-21, 04:37 PM
I'd either finish Wizard for the higher level spells to add to your spellbook or add a level or two of bard or sorcerer. Any of your other options would prevent you from gaining the extra 6th and 7th level spell slots, which I think are the real draw for your last two levels. Action surge might be worth it but at a big cost.

1 level of divine soul sorcerer gives you cure wounds and favored by the gods, and then take shield and absorb elements to free up higher level wizard preparations. Second level in sorcerer is worse than 19 in wizard.

1 level of bard gets you guidance, healing word, faerie fire, dissonant whispers, and one more spell. So a few more options but it doesn't open up any higher level wizard spells like shield and absorb elements do. Again, a second level of bard is not likely worth it.

Maybe a level each in bard and sorcerer would be good.

Expected
2019-10-21, 06:14 PM
I suggest multiclassing into Fighter for 2 Levels--Action Surge and a Fighting Style (Defense if Robes of the Archmagi count as armor, UA Mariner if not) will be useful.

Speely
2019-10-21, 09:04 PM
If you really don't care about the 19/20 stuff from wizard levels, I would go Rogue 2. 2 extra proficiencies, Expertise, and Cunning Action are very useful for anyone. I like those better than a fighting style and Action Surge. If you want to keep up spell slots, definitely Bard or Sorc. I would go Bard here simply for Jack of All Trades, which at your level is a nice boost.

Another option would be Warlock for Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast for better anytime damage. More boring imo, but effective. Plus you get another Invocation, which is rad.

SLOTHRPG95
2019-10-21, 09:08 PM
I'd either finish Wizard for the higher level spells to add to your spellbook or add a level or two of bard or sorcerer. Any of your other options would prevent you from gaining the extra 6th and 7th level spell slots, which I think are the real draw for your last two levels. Action surge might be worth it but at a big cost.

1 level of divine soul sorcerer gives you cure wounds and favored by the gods, and then take shield and absorb elements to free up higher level wizard preparations. Second level in sorcerer is worse than 19 in wizard.

1 level of bard gets you guidance, healing word, faerie fire, dissonant whispers, and one more spell. So a few more options but it doesn't open up any higher level wizard spells like shield and absorb elements do. Again, a second level of bard is not likely worth it.

Maybe a level each in bard and sorcerer would be good.

I generally agree with this advice, but I'd like to add that two levels of Bard wouldn't be a bad pick. The second level of Bard gets you Jack of All Trades, which at your level gives you a +3 bonus on all ability checks that don't already have your proficiency bonus applied. Note that (at least by RAW), this is not just your skill checks, but also applies to initiative and dispelling/counterspelling.

Bobthewizard
2019-10-22, 06:23 AM
I generally agree with this advice, but I'd like to add that two levels of Bard wouldn't be a bad pick. The second level of Bard gets you Jack of All Trades, which at your level gives you a +3 bonus on all ability checks that don't already have your proficiency bonus applied. Note that (at least by RAW), this is not just your skill checks, but also applies to initiative and dispelling/counterspelling.

That is a good point. It also applies to initiative so is like getting half of the alert feat. So 2 levels of bard is a good choice here.

Keravath
2019-10-22, 07:06 AM
Remember that spells you pick up by multiclassing will use the casting stat for that class. So if you pick up spells from a bard for instance like dissonant whispers or faerie fire, they will have a much lower DC than your wizard spells since the stat is 14 and not 22. This also goes for warlock with agonizing blast which would be 4(d10+2) per shot compared to 4d10 for firebolt. On the other hand repelling blast can be pretty useful and Mask of Many Faces can be fun (or devils sight to see perfectly in the dark).

Fighter, rogue, bard, warlock or wizard all have something on offer .. mostly depends on what fits your character best. If you melee as a blade singer then the rogue option is good for the bonus action options.