PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Torn with indescion

cullynthedwarf
2019-10-21, 04:43 PM
I am running into a conundrum about my next campaign idea. The area where the main campaign will be taking place is around a castle that 150 years or so before the campaign begins there was an active demon cult but a bad of heroes came through and splintered the cult.

Now in the present a new lord is inviting people to his manor for reason X. The point of this is to have the PCs have an easy in easy out victory with the lord turned bad guy

The real campaign I want to run begins two years after this first part ends. NPCs write to the PCs about strange activity in the castle and villagers going missing. The restless spirit of the lord is trying to return and the PCs must find 5 macguffins to complete a ritual to banish his spirit again.

I am torn between wanting this to be a Vampire Lord or an Alpha Werewolf. So I turn to you nice people to help me figure it out.

Expected
2019-10-21, 06:07 PM
I am running into a conundrum about my next campaign idea. The area where the main campaign will be taking place is around a castle that 150 years or so before the campaign begins there was an active demon cult but a bad of heroes came through and splintered the cult.

Now in the present a new lord is inviting people to his manor for reason X. The point of this is to have the PCs have an easy in easy out victory with the lord turned bad guy

The real campaign I want to run begins two years after this first part ends. NPCs write to the PCs about strange activity in the castle and villagers going missing. The restless spirit of the lord is trying to return and the PCs must find 5 macguffins to complete a ritual to banish his spirit again.

I am torn between wanting this to be a Vampire Lord or an Alpha Werewolf. So I turn to you nice people to help me figure it out.

I'd choose depending on the setting. Since you want it to be a castle, I'd go with vampire--it's more fitting.

You could even have character sheets for them to play this first session and have them be TPK'd at the end and then que the timeskip. It makes for an interesting narrative and won't anger your players because you made the characters and not them.

Make references to their actions post-timeskip and it will make them feel like their actions mattered. It might also engage them more to care about taking down the BBEG.

LameGothMom
2019-10-21, 06:27 PM
I feel like vampires are a little played out. An alpha werewolf lord could be interesting, sort of inspired by the fancy guy from "The Company of Wolves," but more powerful. Great inspirational film, IMO.

cullynthedwarf
2019-10-21, 07:23 PM
You could even have character sheets for them to play this first session and have them be TPK'd at the end and then que the timeskip. It makes for an interesting narrative and won't anger your players because you made the characters and not them.

Make references to their actions post-timeskip and it will make them feel like their actions mattered. It might also engage them more to care about taking down the BBEG.

I feel then I would be running into a bunch of Inigo Montoyas' " You killed my father/sister/brother/mother prepare to die.

The big one I'm trying to avoid is if I use vampires I end up playing Curse of Strahd.

@ lamegothmom sounds like a good movie. I will check it out

cullynthedwarf
2019-10-22, 09:06 PM
I thank the folks that weighed in on this. It has actually got the creativity flowing. So again, thank you