PDA

View Full Version : School Adventure

Bartmanhomer
2019-10-21, 07:44 PM
I think I've mention this topic in the pass about a Wizard school. But I'm going to talk about a whole different subject about this topic. A school adventure is definitely best for low level or perhaps mid level campaign if it's possible. It's has inspired by watching shows live Saved By The Bell or Degrassi or even Harry Potter book series. I think it possible to have a school campaign. So what are your thoughts about it? :smile:

Kelb_Panthera
2019-10-22, 12:20 AM
Sure it's doable. It's just a setting thing, really. A sufficiently large, modernish, arcane university can easily house dozens of students, professors, and researchers. Put it on a coast near a mountain, put a series of catacombs beneath it. Inform the players that they all need to be some stripe of arcanist and you're pretty much good to go.

Adventures can include independent excursions into the catacombs, mountains, or wilderness; aiding in field research in the same; spell-duels as part of the curriculum, tournament style; field trips to extraordinary loacations via teleportation or plane-shift.

Fair warning though; D&D magic quickly outpaces most other settings in how broadly magic can be applied and how much power its wielders hold. Adolescent neophytes are gonna work a lot less well than young adults who've decided to become career mages looking for a place to fit into the university more permanently or to stand out so that they can be selected for more prestigious positions outside of the university, rather than just being good, old-fashioned adventurers. Evocation 101 or the ethics of enchantment classes aren't going to make for terribly compelling play.

weckar
2019-10-22, 12:35 AM
You should watch the first season of Dimension20. It is freely available on YouTube and basically exactly this.

pabelfly
2019-10-22, 01:30 AM
There's plenty of sources you can steal from/be inspired by that it's a reasonable idea. My suggestion would be to change it slightly from Wizard School to Adventure School - that way you can accomodate characters that aren't wizards, and it makes sense in D&D terms that you'd team up with all sorts of different characters that aren't wizards to go on adventures. Unless you want to run a game where everyone is some sort of caster.

Bartmanhomer
2019-10-22, 07:55 AM
You should watch the first season of Dimension20. It is freely available on YouTube and basically exactly this.
Cool. I'll watch it. :smile:

There's plenty of sources you can steal from/be inspired by that it's a reasonable idea. My suggestion would be to change it slightly from Wizard School to Adventure School - that way you can accommodate characters that aren't wizards, and it makes sense in D&D terms that you'd team up with all sorts of different characters that aren't wizards to go on adventures. Unless you want to run a game where everyone is some sort of caster.

That I was said before at the beginning of the post.

pabelfly
2019-10-22, 08:01 AM
That I was said before at the beginning of the post.

You misunderstand me slightly. I'm suggesting the idea of an adventure set in Adventurer's School, not an adventure set in a Wizard School.

Bartmanhomer
2019-10-22, 08:03 AM
You misunderstand me slightly. I'm suggesting the idea of an adventure set in Adventurer's School, not an adventure set in a Wizard School.

Ok. Sorry about that. An adventure school is a great idea to diversify many classes and races. :smile: