PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Trickster Magic Item Choices

Expected
2019-10-22, 02:30 AM
I'm currently playing an Arcane Trickster Rogue in a campaign and I'm wanting to plan ahead for magic items. I plan on using a ranged weapon (Hand Crossbow/Longbow) and using Cunning Action to Hide to take advantage of Elven Accuracy from level 4+. I obviously want a Cloak of Elvenkind, but that leaves two attunement slots open. I like the Cloak/Ring of Protection and the Robes of the Archmage. They would be amazing combined with Magical Ambush because of the +2 Spell Save DC. Would an Arcane Trickster satisfy the requirements to attune to the robes? And can you wear two cloaks at once? Any thoughts?

Randomthom
2019-10-22, 03:16 AM
I'm currently playing an Arcane Trickster Rogue in a campaign and I'm wanting to plan ahead for magic items. I plan on using a ranged weapon (Hand Crossbow/Longbow) and using Cunning Action to Hide to take advantage of Elven Accuracy from level 4+. I obviously want a Cloak of Elvenkind, but that leaves two attunement slots open. I like the Cloak/Ring of Protection and the Robes of the Archmage. They would be amazing combined with Magical Ambush because of the +2 Spell Save DC. Would an Arcane Trickster satisfy the requirements to attune to the robes? And can you wear two cloaks at once? Any thoughts?

Robes and cloaks are different things so no problem there. By RAW you would need a level in Sorcerer, Warlock or Wizard to equip the robe of the archmagi* so ask your GM.

*If I was a wizard/sorcerer/warlock and a robe of the archmagi landed in the party's hands, I wouldn't be happy seeing it go to the guy who can cast lvl 4 spells at most.

You're planning for specific magical items, is there any guarantee they will be available to you?

As for other items, ring of invisibility jumps out as an amazing item for any rogue. Perhaps best for an assassin though.
Other good utility items: Winged Boots, Cloak of Arachnida, Cloak of Displacement, Dust of Disappearance, Gloves of Thievery, Knave's Eye Patch.

There are many more, what is good depends on it you want to shore up your shortcomings or enhance your existing abilities.

KillingTime
2019-10-22, 03:25 AM
What level character are you currently?

I know it's fun to theorycraft, but banking on any of these things in-game is asking for disappointment unless you have a ridiculously permissive DM.
And as has been said, good luck snagging a robe of the archmagi if there's a full caster in the party.
In fact even a ring of protection is unlikely to come your way unless you can steal it off the front liner who will legitimately need it more than you.

In all seriousness, just wait and see what the adventure brings.
You won't be disappointed that way, and your DM may even supply some nice surprises!

Lyracian
2019-10-22, 07:35 AM
I would be much more interested in getting a magic weapon than anything else. My Trickster is using a +1 Shortsword as that is more accurate than a +0 Rapier and hitting guarantees sneak attack which is better than a possible 1 point more from the rapiers D8. She also has a longbow and a quiver of Ehlonna.

Chronos
2019-10-22, 04:17 PM
Even aside from accuracy and enemy resistances, a +1 shortsword is already the same average damage as a +0 rapier. It has less variability, but generally, consistency favors the PCs.

On my arcane trickster, aside from weapons, the item he got the most use out of was Gloves of Thievery. In 5e's bounded accuracy system, that +5 is huge.

And the item that he was the most happy to get was a Wand of Wonder. But that's obviously a matter of personality.

Galadhrim
2019-10-22, 09:15 PM
Headband of intellect is always great for a trickster

OldTrees1
2019-10-22, 09:19 PM
Slippers of Spider Climb
Trust me

Luckstone and Cloak of Elvenkind are decent choices too at low level.
At high level you are a Reliable Talent Expertise wielding Rogue.

MrWesson22
2019-10-22, 09:24 PM
Ring of spell storing can be amazing too if you ever get any downtime.

Sparky McDibben
2019-10-22, 10:32 PM
Ring of spell storing can be amazing too if you ever get any downtime.

Hard to wrong with these. Load up on mislead, haste, any of the image spells, or even a level 5 cure wounds from your friendly neighborhood cleric.

Keravath
2019-10-23, 08:19 AM
Robe of the Archmagi requires you to multiclass in sorcerer, wizard or warlock.

If you do multiclass, the Staff of the Magi is amazingly useful on an Arcane Trickster. Casting 7th level fireballs against targets with disadvantage on their saving throws because you are hidden is particularly fun.

Another long term legendary item is the cloak of invisibility. Always on advantage (and sneak attack) against creatures who can't see invisible is also awesome.