PDA

View Full Version : Range, redirecting spells, and moving

Odin's Eyepatch
2019-10-22, 10:11 AM
I'd love some clarification on how spell range changes when you redirect spells. I have a specific example in mind, but any general rules and explanations are also welcome.

Amanuensis has a target of "object or objects with writing" within close range. Additionally, it states that you can "redirect the magic to copy from another target, copy onto a different blank sourse, or resume a duplication that was interrupted by a shortfall of blank pages"

So what are the intricacies of redirecting the magic? Say i cast amanuensis on one object (at point A), and then move the object down the street to a another location (point B), can I:

redirect the spell onto another target within close range of point B (where the spell is currently active)

or

can i only redirect the spell onto another target at point A (where the spell was initially cast)?

Do I need to be in close range of either point to redirect a spell? Or do i only need line of effect to redirect a spell?

Hope this isn't too confusing, and thank you for any insight into how this works.

Vaern
2019-10-23, 09:17 AM
I'd say you could redirect it any valid target within the spell's range, which is relative to your position as the caster, unless it specifically says otherwise (like chain lightning only being able to arc to secondary targets who are within 30 feet of the original target).

Odin's Eyepatch
2019-10-23, 03:46 PM
I'd say you could redirect it any valid target within the spell's range, which is relative to your position as the caster, unless it specifically says otherwise (like chain lightning only being able to arc to secondary targets who are within 30 feet of the original target).

Ah, I see! So spell range is usually (exceptions apply) relative to the caster? That makes sense. I'll admit I haven't found any ruling being for or against that, but when put that why it does sound like a reasonable decision. Thank you!