PDA

View Full Version : Shadar Kai Cleric/Druid: Which God?

Garresh
2019-10-23, 08:22 AM
So I'm trying to flesh out my character backstory for a Curse of Straud game I'll be starting this weekend. So far, I have a Shadar Kai who has an unusual motivation. The constant exposure to regret, broken souls, and people who have or are going to die with unfinished tasks has made him afraid of death. Not his own. Shadar Kai are immortal so if he dies he'll be reborn. No, every time he sees someone die without finding peace it wears on him. So he does everything in his power to strive for peace.

It drives him a little mad, to the point that he would rather die than take a life without inner peace. When working with others, he does kill to protect them, and has no problem with killing mindless or low intelligence creatures. He is sort of pacifistic, but only against creatures capable of deep regret.

He still serves the Raven Queen, and collects trinkets of the already deceased for her. And he believes that she acts to bring about the peace and reflection that lost souls need to finally reach the outer planes. But wherever he goes he seeks to avert the tragedies he is sent to collect, with some success.

Anyways, I'm going to be doing a cleric druid multiclass, and I need a God who fits the redemption and peace theme. Eldath seems like the most fitting, but I'm uncertain if I should use Lathander instead. Or if there's a minor deity or outsider who fits better.

Anyone have advice for my god?

Sception
2019-10-23, 09:03 AM
If your character still follows the Raven Queen, then they could just worship her. 5e is deliberately unclear and yet still somehow regularly inconsistent on the subject of her divinity. Tome of Foes describes her as a failed god, but also one whose power varies dramatically depending on realm to the point that in some realms she is effectively a god. Ravenloft is a Domain of Dread, which in 5e are sealed off subrealms of the Shadowfell, and if the Raven Queen holds outsized power anywhere it's in her home plane.

The recent Unearthed Arcana introducing the Twilight domain, which you might want to consider for this character, lists her as a "Deity of ... travel or transition" among a list of gods whose cleric followers might select the Twilight domain, so if the more recent, albeit unofficial, publication represents the directions the designers are going in, then the Raven Queen may just be acknowledged as a god outright going forward without all that waffling. A very different god with a very different nature and personality than in 4e sure, but a god with clerics and other divine caster followers none the less.

Additionally, Clerics don't have to draw power from a god in 5e, they can draw power from an ideal or conviction, which potentially means they could worship a spoon and still be clerics for all it matters, so a worshipper of the raven queen dedicated to the ideals they feel she embodies and represents can still be a full cleric even in settings where she isn't treated as a god.

If your character wanted to reject the Raven Queen I'd suggest Eilistraee. She mostly collects Drow who reject Lolth, but I figure a Shadar-Kai who rejected the Raven Queen might appeal to her in search of similar salvation. Alternatively, as a druid, any of the elven nature deities could work.

But as your character isn't rejecting the Raven Queen.... yeah, I don't think you need to seek a secondary patron.