PDA

View Full Version : DM Help PC temporary super strength, but with big consequences

Rivaler
2019-10-23, 11:21 AM
Hi everyone!

For story reasons, I'd like one of my players in my homebrew setting and campaign to be able to draw extreme power from an item he is carrying, allowing him to become very powerful but with great risks for him, the rest of the party and possibly the rest of the world. Immagine it something such as a Hulk transformation: he becomes almost unstoppable, but is oblivious to who his friends are (sort of).

This power should have the following features:

Should be a simple mechanic
PC is able to draw increasing levels of powers (e.g.: power level 1 => 2 => 3.. ), each step making him more powerful but equally more unstable / dangerous
This power CAN make the campaign derail if abused (actually, SHOULD, if abused)

For this purpouse I thought of something like having him transform in a higher CR creature, but each turn he has to pass a progressively higher DC Wisdom saving throw or completely lose control on his actions. And if a certain step is reached, the saving throw is automatically failed and the character gets far too strong for the rest of the party to deal with (alone).

I'd like some suggestion from you great giants out there on how to address this issue. Party is level 4 now. First step should be a good power spike but not extreme, and should be exponantially better and more risky with each other step. Max number of steps probably around 5 (sort of exahustion like )

Thanks in advance!

J-H
2019-10-23, 11:38 AM
What's the source of his power? Why is it risky?
Baldur's Gate II had a workable mechanic, but it was directly tied to divine blood.

MrStabby
2019-10-23, 11:46 AM
I would recommend not doing this.

You can't balance an ability that lets a player dominate a table and draw spotlight from the other players with a downside... that lets them dominate what is happening at the table and be the centre of attention when it goes wrong.

Frozenstep
2019-10-23, 11:52 AM

You can't balance an ability that lets a player dominate a table and draw spotlight from the other players with a downside... that lets them dominate what is happening at the table and be the centre of attention when it goes wrong.

I also agree with this. Eventually the other plays will just start having to play around this ability, like dropping this guy into a fortress and just watching the fireworks from a distance because helping is too dangerous.

If you want consequences for power, make them consequences for the player themselves, such as rolling con saving throws every turn as his power is too much for his heart to handle, suffering a heart attack and dropping to 0 hp on a failure.

micahaphone
2019-10-23, 11:59 AM
Potion of Giant Hill strength. Set strength to 21, speed to 0.

Damon_Tor
2019-10-23, 12:09 PM
You could just polymorph him into a Giant Ape. Hulk-like, very powerful at the level it becomes available, and the transformation includes mental stats so you even have a "downside".

Spells stored in a magic item are fairly straightforward. You wouldn't even need to homebrew anything if you wanted him to just find a Ring of Spell Storing with Polymorph already in it. Of course I expect you'll want him to be able to use it more than once, so modify accordingly.

Rivaler
2019-10-23, 12:10 PM

I know this seems like a TERRIBLE idea (although, thanks for the heads up!) but trust me: it is something safe to do at my table :P that's why I'm asking!

If you want consequences for power, make them consequences for the player themselves, such as rolling con saving throws every turn as his power is too much for his heart to handle, suffering a heart attack and dropping to 0 hp on a failure.

Yeah, that's also the idea: risky for everyone including himself (and possibly the world itself, should this get out of hand ).

One of the ideas was, indeed, that whatever the outcome of the saving throws, PC would drop to 0 hp and get 1 or 2 levels of exhaustion from this.

What's the source of his power? Why is it risky?

Source is a divine power-infused stone that can grant seemingly bottomless power to the wielder. It's risky because the divine power infused itself was generated from power lust of a god, thus making whoever uses it seek evermore power. Drawing ( too much ) power makes the wielder lose control to this new found lust for power.

Also should point out that PC is a druid, hence the Wisdom saving throws idea ( gaining levels might allow him to kind of rely on using step 1 of this "ability", though he would still risky everything on it )

Rukelnikov
2019-10-23, 12:11 PM
AS you suggested, linking it, or making it akin, to exhaustion is the first thing that came to mind.

I'd make the progression be twofold, with generic scaling bonuses based on PL, and with "unique" features unlocked at certain PLs:

Scaling powers by PL:

Static bonus to Attack, AC, Saves and DCs = PL
Limited Magic Immunity = PL (At PL 1 its immune to spells of lvl 1 and below, which includes cantrips, at PL 2 spells of lvl 2 and below, etc.)
Spells below PL don't require or consume slots.

Non-scaling powers by PL:

Resistance to all damage, Advantage on all saving throws
Legendary actions: 1/turn: take any action or bonus action
Immunity to nonmagical damage.
Legendary actions: 2/turn: take any action or bonus action
Know every spell in the game, Spellcasting doesn't require or consume slots

Every time they activate the power they have to make a save DC = 8 + PL (mcguffing powers don't apply to this particular save, since they haven't kicked in yet)
At the end of every turn they have to make a save DC = 8 + PL, increasing by 1 every turn they are in control.

Whenever one of this saves is failed they lose control of their actions, they can save again every PL rounds to regain control.

Once the transformation ends they get an ammount of Soul Drain (or w/e you wanna call it) equal to the lvl activated, for simplicity, make its effects equal to exhaustion, with the difference that at 6, they don't die but become permanently amped, and permanently lose control of their actions, as they are now the vessel of whatever creature was empowering them.

I left the type of save purposedly undefined, use what you think its best.

Rivaler
2019-10-23, 12:12 PM
Also, I must have explained myself uncorrectly: Hulk was just an example of the ability. A bad one at that maybe :P

This could also very well make the character an incredible and nimble spellcaster!

Rivaler
2019-10-23, 12:20 PM
AS you suggested, linking it, or making it akin, to exhaustion is the first thing that came to mind.

I'd make the progression be twofold, with generic scaling bonuses based on PL, and with "unique" features unlocked at certain PLs:

Scaling powers by PL:

Static bonus to Attack, AC, Saves and DCs = PL
Limited Magic Immunity = PL (At PL 1 its immune to spells of lvl 1 and below, which includes cantrips, at PL 2 spells of lvl 2 and below, etc.)
Spells below PL don't require or consume slots.

Non-scaling powers by PL:

Resistance to all damage, Advantage on all saving throws
Legendary actions: 1/turn: take any action or bonus action
Immunity to nonmagical damage.
Legendary actions: 2/turn: take any action or bonus action
Know every spell in the game, Spellcasting doesn't require or consume slots

Every time they activate the power they have to make a save DC = 8 + PL (mcguffing powers don't apply to this particular save, since they haven't kicked in yet)
At the end of every turn they have to make a save DC = 8 + PL, increasing by 1 every turn they are in control.

Whenever one of this saves is failed they lose control of their actions, they can save again every PL rounds to regain control.

Once the transformation ends they get an ammount of Soul Drain (or w/e you wanna call it) equal to the lvl activated, for simplicity, make its effects equal to exhaustion, with the difference that at 6, they don't die but become permanently amped, and permanently lose control of their actions, as they are now the vessel of whatever creature was empowering them.

I left the type of save purposedly undefined, use what you think its best.

Got to say I like this suggestion a lot! It's simple and scales interestingly. Might make some thematic adjustment, but overall this is really solid for my purpouse! Thanks mate

Rukelnikov
2019-10-23, 12:21 PM
Got to say I like this suggestion a lot! It's simple and scales interestingly. Might make some thematic adjustment, but overall this is really solid for my purpouse! Thanks mate

No prob, have fun!

Wildarm
2019-10-23, 01:07 PM
Hi everyone!

For story reasons, I'd like one of my players in my homebrew setting and campaign to be able to draw extreme power from an item he is carrying, allowing him to become very powerful but with great risks for him, the rest of the party and possibly the rest of the world. Immagine it something such as a Hulk transformation: he becomes almost unstoppable, but is oblivious to who his friends are (sort of).

This power should have the following features:

Should be a simple mechanic
PC is able to draw increasing levels of powers (e.g.: power level 1 => 2 => 3.. ), each step making him more powerful but equally more unstable / dangerous
This power CAN make the campaign derail if abused (actually, SHOULD, if abused)

For this purpouse I thought of something like having him transform in a higher CR creature, but each turn he has to pass a progressively higher DC Wisdom saving throw or completely lose control on his actions. And if a certain step is reached, the saving throw is automatically failed and the character gets far too strong for the rest of the party to deal with (alone).

I'd like some suggestion from you great giants out there on how to address this issue. Party is level 4 now. First step should be a good power spike but not extreme, and should be exponantially better and more risky with each other step. Max number of steps probably around 5 (sort of exahustion like )

Thanks in advance!

Inviting a demon to use your body as a vessel would be suitable. Transform into the demon in question with full use of it's powers. Make a Charisma save to maintain control of your body. Otherwise the demon gets control and gleefully murders everyone nearby. Save at the end of each round to regain control and force the demon out of your body. Save is DC 12+CR level of creature and yes, if the character does not have a good Charisma save, they could easily get taken over by a high CR demon permanently.

16bearswutIdo
2019-10-23, 02:06 PM
You are basically describing Frenzied Berserker from 3.5e. Take a look at that and see if you can adapt it somehow, IMO.

GlenSmash!
2019-10-23, 02:37 PM
You are basically describing Frenzied Berserker from 3.5e. Take a look at that and see if you can adapt it somehow, IMO.

What if they could get like Advantage on strength checks and saving throws, Resistance to physical damage, bonus damage to melee attacks, and an extra bonus attack every round for like 10 rounds, but after that they get Exhaustion?

Yakk
2019-10-23, 04:59 PM
Level 1:
You gain 5*Level temporary HP and your proficiency bonus increases by 2. Whenever you use an ability that cannot be used again until the next rest, make a charisma saving throw with DC 15.

On failure, you (a) don't use up the use of the ability, and (b) gain 1d4 corruption. The PC is unaware of their current corruption.

On success, you use up the ability.

The DC increases by 2 for every "long rest" ability and 1 for every "short rest" refresh ability you attempt.

If your saving throw failed and the "natural" d20 roll is less than your current corruption, you upgrade to Level 2.

Level 2:
You gain 10*Level temporary HP and your proficiency bonus increases by 4. When you use "recharges at next rest" abilities such as spells, they are not consumed, and you gain 1d6 corruption.

If you fail a saving throw, you may reroll the saving throw with a +1d6 bonus and gain that much corruption.

The first time on your turn you gain corruption, all creatures within 30 feet take 1/2 of your corruption in necrotic damage. If this reduces a creature to 0 HP, they are dead and their soul is consumed.

When you gain corruption and pass 25, you upgrade to Level 3.

Level 3:
Your proficiency bonus increases by 6. Whenever you take damage or lose HP in any way, you instead gain corruption equal to 1/10th the damage dealt +1d6. You cannot be killed. Whenever you fail a saving throw, you automatically pass it and gain 1d10 corruption.

All creatures within 30 feet of you take damage equal to your corruption.

When you gain corruption past 50, you become an NPC.

---

Each of these states persist until you give it up.

In order to give up this power, you must make a charisma or wisdom saving throw against a DC of 10 + 1/2 of your corruption as an action. If you fail the save, the DM picks another action for you to do from your abilities that demonstrates your power.

---

Corruption persists until you lose it. In order to lose this "lust for power" corruption, you must fail in a task that is important to you at in a way that makes you seem weak. This causes you to lose half of your corruption, round up.

There is no other way to lose corruption.

MikeRoxTheBoat
2019-10-23, 05:13 PM
Honestly, I'd look into a transformation effect that's similar to the Order of the Lycan Bloodhunter. First level is a simple transformation (or gives strength or speed or something), but they need to make wisdom saves when damaged or attack the nearest person. Second level could be that they make a save at the start of their turn, or attack the nearest person. Third could be that they autofail. Fourth could be similar to the sword of enduval from Desert of Desolation, where they continue to attack anything near them until there are no living creatures within their sight or hearing distance. If you want to go further, 5th could be they stay in their berserk state and ceaselessly hunt down anything living to kill without sleeping or eating until they're dropped to zero hitpoints, or killed, or die from exhaustion/hunger/thirst.

xen
2019-10-24, 07:10 AM

This. Highly recommended if you want an out of control death machine.