PDA

View Full Version : Chocobo Race 5E

Sk8ter274
2019-10-23, 02:28 PM
I currently dm for a bunch of newbies. It's be a learning experience for them as players and me as new dm. There have been a few close calls, but nothing serious that I couldn't dm away. However, I recently decreed, and they agreed, that now the kids gloves are off since they're all past level 5 and have essentially mastered the basics,

IF THEY DIE AND NO ONE CAN FIND A WAY TO RESURRECT, THEN THEY DIE AND ROLL A NEW CHARACTER.

Long story short, they all made back characters between sessions on their own. However, one player got confused by the editions and got excited when spotted the chocobo race from 3.5. Since our current monk is using a homebrew race to be a sentient monkey and follows the path of sun wukong, I'd thought it unfair to say no. So I decided to homebrew the race myself and this is what I came up with.

Could use some feedback

"So you want me to run over the Ardeep River through the Sharptooth Woods under the Sunset Mountians and deliver this package to your grandmoth at the Lake of Dragons? . . . For three hundred gold pieces and a week, you've got yourself a deal!"
-- Boku, Professional Chocobo Courier

Often confused for wild animals, Chocobos are actaully more closely related to the Kenku except are perfectly cpapable of speech. Those that choose to live outside thier villages often find work as couriers or other such work where they can put thier strength and spped to use.

Chocobo Traits
Your chocobo charcter has the following eacial traits:

Ability Score Improvment - Your Strength increases by 2 and your Dexterity by 1

Age - Chocobos are relatively short lived. They reach maturity at 5 and live an average of 45 to 50 years.

Alignment - While most are neutral throughout thier lives, refusing to choose sides and simnply want to live thier lives, Chocobos tend to lean twoard the good alingment, but an evil chocobo is not exactly rare either.

Size - Chocobos can range as small as 5ft or as tall as 9ft in extreme cases. Your size is Medium.

Speed - Your base walking speed is 40ft.

Survival Instincts- You have proficiency in the Perception and Survival skills.

Struthion Build. - You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift. In addition, a Medium or smaller creature can ride on your back if you allow it. In such a situation, you continue to act independently, not as a controlled mount.

Rushing Strike - If you move at least 20ft straight toward a target and then hit it with a melee weapon attack on the same turn, roll the weapon’s damage dice twice and add them together. Once you use this ability, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Runner's Endurance - Chocobos serve as thier own mounts. You have advantage on Constitution saving throws to maintain your pace during a Force March or when chasing a quarry. This does not apply if you are carrying a creature, are encumbered, or moving through difficult terrain.

Languages. - You can speak, read, and write Common, Auran, and one language of your choice.

I should also mention they have small hand like appendages on the end of their wings, usually hidden by feathers, that all them to hold items and weapons

Old Harry MTX
2019-10-24, 12:50 AM
Ok, for a moment I thought you wanted to propose a mechanic for chocobo races ... In the sense of competitions!

Besides, it doesn't seem like an unbalanced class, maybe a little too high fantasy, but not bad.

DeTess
2019-10-24, 02:50 AM
I, too, am dissapointed about the lack of rules for chocobo races in this thread.

That having been said, this race looks fine. It gets some nice stuff, but nothing particularly out of line with what other races get. The only thing I'd maybe look at are the skill profiencies, as I don't think many races get two.

Sk8ter274
2019-10-24, 08:31 PM
as for actual races with chocobos, i think some modifications from TOA dinosaur races and you'll be fine.

Still, thanks for the feedback guys.

BerzerkerUnit
2019-10-24, 10:10 PM
I like it.