PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Barbarian Subclass

Fylu02
2019-10-23, 03:25 PM
Hey Guys, so this is a Barbarian Subclass(5e) with a Paladin/Warlock Style, I wanted to know, what you think About it, and weather or not it is Ballanced.

Path of the Sleeping God

The God's awakening
At 3rd level, you gain the following benefits while you rage:
• You gain a bonus to damage rolls. The bonus equals your proficiency bonus.
• Any attack roll you make is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
• If you kill an enemy, you regain Hit points equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).

Pseudo Blade
At 3rd level, you can make any weapon your pseudo Pact Weapon. This weapon functions as the conduit for pact weapon features and can be summoned to your hand.

Primal Smite
At 6th level choose one smite from the options below you can cast it without components at its lowest level even while raging. Your spellcasting ability for these spells is constitution.
• Wrathful Smite
• Searing Smite
• Thunderous Smite
You gain another smite option at 10th level and at 14th level.

Eldritch Invocation
At Lv. 6 you gain one Eldritch Invocation from the warlock list, you count as a celestial warlock with the pact of the blade feature for determining your prerequisites. If an invocation deals damage of any kind, it becomes radiant or necrotic (your choice) and if an invocation refers to your Charisma, you can choose constitution or strength instead. You can swap this Invocation when you gain a level in this Class. You gain a second Invocation at 14th level.

Sacred Body
At Lv. 10, When you enter your rage, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Barbarian level + your Constitution modifier.

Smite Improvement
At 10th level, Your smites deal 2d6 Damage.

Eternal Light
At lv. 14, your rage reaches its final level.
• While raging and not wearing a shield, you gain +2 AC
• While raging, all damage you recive is reduced by 5
• While raging, you gain a +3 bonus on rolls made to hit with an attack

Fnissalot
2019-10-23, 04:15 PM
Hey Guys, so this is a Barbarian Subclass(5e) with a Paladin/Warlock Style, I wanted to know, what you think About it, and weather or not it is Ballanced.

Path of the Sleeping God

The God's awakening
• If you kill an enemy, you regain Hit points equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).

Pseudo Blade
At 3rd level, you can make any weapon your pseudo Pact Weapon. This weapon functions as the conduit for pact weapon features and can be summoned to your hand.

Primal Smite
At 6th level choose one smite from the options below you can cast it without components at its lowest level even while raging. Your spellcasting ability for these spells is constitution.
• Wrathful Smite
• Searing Smite
• Thunderous Smite

Eldritch Invocation
At Lv. 6 you gain one Eldritch Invocation from the warlock list, you count as a celestial warlock with the pact of the blade feature for determining your prerequisites. If an invocation deals damage of any kind, it becomes radiant or necrotic (your choice) and if an invocation refers to your Charisma, you can choose constitution or strength instead. You can swap this Invocation when you gain a level in this Class. You gain a second Invocation at 14th level.

Sacred Body
At Lv. 10, When you enter your rage, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Barbarian level + your Constitution modifier.

Smite Improvement

Eternal Light

This is rather overpowered and too much. This subclass gets multiple things on most levels of it and those thing increase as you level up. It tries to pick the best things from two classes and put them into a third. Getting both proficiency + an additional strength mod + increased crit range + smites is an insane increase in damage.

I would suggest focusing on one thing instead of multiple ones.

I would go for either:
Warlock-inspired:
Path of the sleeping god
Lvl3: when you rage:
* If you are not holding a weapon at the start of your turn, you conjure a non-magical weapon into your hands. It disappears when your rage stops.
* Once per turn when you kill an enemy, regain Hit points equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).
Lvl6: pick an invocation, if it requires a spell slot, you can instead cast it once per short or long rest. It still casts with charisma. In addition, you regain one use of your rage when you finish a short rest of you don't have any uses remaining.
Lvl10: When you enter your rage, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Barbarian level + your Constitution modifier.
Lvl14: when you rage: your thoughts can't be read by telepathy or other means unless you allow it, you have resistance to psychic damage, and whenever a creature deals psychic damage to you, that creature takes the same amount of damage that you do.

Or paladin inspired.
Path of the wrathmonger
Lvl3:when you rage, you can cast wrathful smite at 1st level. You can concentrate on it even if you are raging, and you can cast it a number of times equal to your charisma modifier per short or long rest.
Lvl6:you learn the channel divinity options of one paladin subclass. Once you used one of them, you need to finish a short or long rest before you can do so again.
Lvl10: when your wrathful smite deals damage, any other enemy within 5 feet of the target also needs to succeed on a wisdom save or be frightened by you until the spell ends.
Lvl14: Aura of rage? Friendly creatures while within 10 feet of you are affected by your rage. They get to add your rage damage to strength melee attacks once per turn and have advantage on strength checks and saving throws.

Fylu02
2019-10-23, 04:45 PM
the Thing with the smites is, that i want it to be able to compete with polearm masters Bonus Action attack, which you can use at will. I also want to give the character more Things to do, than just Attack. If the 'Pseudo Blade' and the Invocations were removed, the subclass would only get one Thing per Tier, so that should be fine, Right?
If i did the math correctly, than the additional Damage wouldn't exede the Zealots.
I also didn't want to make the Barbarian even more MAD than he already is.

Trandir
2019-10-23, 06:00 PM

Path of the Sleeping God

The God's awakening

Pseudo Blade

Primal Smite
• Wrathful Smite
• Searing Smite
• Thunderous Smite

Eldritch Invocation

Sacred Body

Smite Improvement

Eternal Light

Rage buff: solid maybe even too strong.

Pseudo Blade: I like this kind of features but could you also provide a fluff explanation for it? It seems pretty random.

Primal Smite: infinite smites, weird for how these smites work the effects would cancel out once you break concentration to use another one. Thunderous Smite is probably the best option. I would also keep carisma to determine the DC of the saves.

Eldrich Invocations: probably too much stealing from warlock by giving access to most of the invocations. You should probably choose about 4 or 5 and make them options or even better just 2 to get at lv 6 and 14 respectively.

Sacred Body: good old rage that increases the total hit points nice and simple.

Smite improvement: thunderous smite already deals 2d6 damage, you could consider it to just add an extra d6.

Eternal Light: the restriction of no shield seems arbitrary, all other barbarian features work with the shield but I get that you don't want possible AC 26+ barbarians. 5 damage reduction is a lot considering also the usual resistange angainst "weapon damage". +3 to hit is too much in particular at lv 14 on top of the advantage.

Overall this sublass right now is broken.

the Thing with the smites is, that i want it to be able to compete with polearm masters Bonus Action attack, which you can use at will. I also want to give the character more Things to do, than just Attack. If the 'Pseudo Blade' and the Invocations were removed, the subclass would only get one Thing per Tier, so that should be fine, Right?
If i did the math correctly, than the additional Damage wouldn't exede the Zealots.
I also didn't want to make the Barbarian even more MAD than he already is.

Well to be fair a smite is worst than PAM's extra attack in this case. You still have to hit but with advantage and the lv 14 +3 it souldn't be a problem.

Keep the good work the class need fixing but you can get out of this something fun.

Fylu02
2019-10-23, 06:05 PM
So what if it would be changed like this?

The God's awakening

Primal Smite
• Wrathful Smite
• Searing Smite
• Thunderous Smite

Sacred Body

Smite Improvement

Eternal Light
• While raging, all damage you recive is reduced by 3
• While raging, you gain a +1 bonus on rolls made to hit with an attack

Fylu02
2019-10-23, 06:06 PM
the Damage reduction is based on the heavy armor master feat.

Fylu02
2019-10-23, 06:09 PM
Keep the good work the class need fixing but you can get out of this something fun.

and thanks.

Composer99
2019-10-23, 07:16 PM
Keep in mind that you don't need to balance barbarian subclass features against feats, but against other barbarian subclass features.

sandmote
2019-10-23, 09:52 PM
It might be best to just pick one between God's Awakening, Primal Smite, and Eternal light to give at 3rd level(not necessarily at the current power). Than have the rest of the combat features be minor things that synergize with the one you've chosen.

Honestly, I think the main problem here is a lack of abilities that don't apply out of combat. Notably 10th level features are things like casting a spell as a ritual, rather than anything combat focused. Maybe something fleshing out what sort of god this is supposed to be.

Sacred Body I actually really like for a warlocky barbarian. Its similar to an existing ability (Armor of Agathys), but doesn't do exactly the same thing, so it doesn't feel like its trying to do everything a warlock/barbarian multiclass can.

JNAProductions
2019-10-23, 11:54 PM
So what if it would be changed like this?

The God's awakening

Primal Smite
• Wrathful Smite
• Searing Smite
• Thunderous Smite

Sacred Body

Smite Improvement

Eternal Light
• While raging, all damage you recive is reduced by 3
• While raging, you gain a +1 bonus on rolls made to hit with an attack

Level three: Overly powerful, and quite dull.

Level six: Overly powerful, and vaguely interesting... But not really, since you're just using it every round because why wouldn't you?

Level ten (Sacred Body): Fine. Not interesting, but not broken or anything.

Level ten (Smite Improvement): Doesn't even work with all the spells you listed right.

Level fourteen: Overly powerful, and quite dull.

OVERALL!

What's the theme here? Yeah, I see the fluff text, but what reinforces that at all? It's just +numbers, for the most part. +Damage, +Hit, +Crit Range, +HP...

I mean, it's fine to focus entirely on mechanics, eschewing any fluff to fill a mechanical niche... But this isn't it. This isn't it in the slightest-this is just Barbarian+.

Fylu02
2019-10-24, 06:14 AM
i didn't include the fluff, because this subclass is specific to a single character, basically this character has the sleeping god inside of them and in the original Version the hexblade(pseudo blade) kept that powert in check.
the smites are meant to be used every round and i didn't want to raise thunderous smites Damage above 2d6 which is why i wrote it like that.