PDA

View Full Version : Which is the better Druid Circle?

Shadowbane13
2019-10-23, 03:32 PM
So im torn between the circle of the shepard and the circle of wildfire. I like the shepard because of its last minute save bonuses to both health and some abilities. Also a decent utility subclass. However i like the aggressiveness of the wildfire subclass. The spells and spirit are nice. Im somewhat of a mix in my party of offensive and defensive. I turn to healer or defensive when things start to get out of hand. Which is why the shepard is sort of helpful. It grants the totem that can give temp health and the like.

Im just curious which subclass seems better to the public.

sigfile
2019-10-23, 03:50 PM
The wildfire druid gets a short rest bonus action group teleport/damage effect, fireball for free, can turn corpses in to healing firebombs, and, instead of dying, drops a magical nuke on the battlefield and gains 60+ THP. And is still a druid with all the druidic goodness, so you'll *always* be useful to the party.

It's... bonkers. Also UA, so expect rewrites if it ever makes print.

Shadowbane13
2019-10-23, 03:54 PM
The fireball and mini nuke are what drove me more towards wildfire. It seems to outweigh shepard.

sigfile
2019-10-23, 03:57 PM
The fireball and mini nuke are what drove me more towards wildfire. It seems to outweigh shepard.

I'd forgotten about the short rest fire variant of Thunder Step, too. Edited in to my original post.

MilkmanDanimal
2019-10-23, 04:02 PM
The wildfire druid gets a short rest bonus action group teleport/damage effect, fireball for free, can turn corpses in to healing firebombs, and, instead of dying, drops a magical nuke on the battlefield and gains 60+ THP. And is still a druid with all the druidic goodness, so you'll *always* be useful to the party.

It's... bonkers. Also UA, so expect rewrites if it ever makes print.

I haven't looked at any of the new UA as of yet, but, just reading this, I'm thinking back to my current gaming groups "just ban all UA outright" and feeling really OK with that decision.

Nhym
2019-10-24, 07:46 AM
Shepherd Druid is broken OP, so it would be that. Action Economy is still king and I'd take the buffed Conjure Animals over Fireball any day.
Reference my Shepherd Guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xXgYqPxkEHaCisQ0tteFF-KtsmfJxkOQojeWwHf22n4/edit?usp=sharing

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-10-24, 08:06 AM
Fireball is nice when your max spell level is 3. If falls fast and it is not as useful as other level 3 spells you have(plant growth for example).

The healing buff is nice but the shepherd get AOE healing with the unicorn.
And when you have goodberry and healing spirit you don't really need more healing.

The buffed summons are way stronger then the spirit and fire ball(even when you roll for summons).

The wildfire is cool but the shepherd is way stronger.

Anyway, the wildfire looks cool and I will want to try it.

Chugger
2019-10-25, 06:28 PM
If Avernus not wildfire: devils are immune to fire! :smallwink:

Garresh
2019-10-26, 08:00 PM
Shepherd Druid is broken OP, so it would be that. Action Economy is still king and I'd take the buffed Conjure Animals over Fireball any day.
Reference my Shepherd Guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xXgYqPxkEHaCisQ0tteFF-KtsmfJxkOQojeWwHf22n4/edit?usp=sharing

I can vouch for this being a good guide. HOWEVER, I advise as a player against going full cheese. That guide is something to pull up if the DM is cool with it. Otherwise, I recommend referencing it and intentionally exercising restraint. Either way, it's an excellent guide. You just have to understand that any summoner spec can break the game in half. Be cautious and talk to your DM. Understand party dynamics. And try not to overshadow anyone. Do that, and you can have a blast.

FabulousFizban
2019-10-27, 02:11 AM
The most druid circle is the drum circle.