PDA

View Full Version : Player Help (Starfinder) Need Advice on Character Building

Nosta
2019-10-23, 05:16 PM
So it looks like My group wants to try out starfinder and my Friend's wife who has never Gm'd before is going to Co-Gm with her husband
Both have never Gm's a pathfinder game let alone star-finder (he's Gm A few 5e Games but thats it)

I am unsure of what is the starting level but I'd like some advice on two character ideas.

1: Is a a hand to hand fighter Vesk. Not sure of class and or Feats

2 I am kinda interested in playing a blind Valka but unsure of what class

3 part of me has been looking at the operate class but i'm not sure

truth be told i am not to good at playing non-combat rolls

so even the second build i like some decent combat ability.

Telok
2019-10-23, 07:54 PM
Good news: Not having GMed Pathfinder won't be an issuesince thee games are different enough in subtle and important ways to make prior Pathfinder experience almost a handicap. Also all the classes are about equal in combat, with soldiers and solarians a little ahead, and mystics and envoys a little behind. Pick up longarm/adv.melee weapon proficency, versatile specialization, weapon focus, and the DR feat to make yourself combat normal.

Operatives are generally the best at skills and can pretty easily get near equal to soldiers in combat. Soldiers have a hard time staying competitive outside of the physical skills. Generally the math in Starfinder is pretty well constrained into a smaller range of numbers so rolling well is always important.

The claw fighter path has possible issues. You should wade through Pazio's forums for the errata/faq.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-10-23, 09:05 PM
For the Vesk, you probably want to go Soldier, but skip the Armor Storm fighting style as hammer fist will replace your natural claw attacks. The fighting styles you pick and when you pick them will probably depend on whether you're shooting or punching more.

Operative is basically a Rogue, only better. Consider taking the Ace Pilot theme and the Uncanny Pilot operative exploit, and you can make a mix of spaceship-stealing pirate and lovable scoundrel. There are plenty of races that get a bonus to Dex and/or Int, honorable mentions are Space Goblin at +4 Dex, Human for the bonus feat and skill points, and a Ysoki can comfortably squirrel away nineteen grenades in their cheek pouches.

Edit: Be sure to optimize your group's ship as well! The Transport hull is one of the best ones, as it starts with two turrets. Start off with a flak thrower on one turret, as missiles are absurd, and put some kind of missiles on the heavy front mount. Fill the light front and aft mounts with gyrolasers as they can hit to the sides. Put a strong shield on it, and something high damage in the other turret. If you're not 1st level, upgrade that other turret to large for 6 bp (p305) and put a Maser on it. Upgrade the shield first.