PDA

View Full Version : GFB clarification

stewstew5
2019-10-23, 05:40 PM
So when you cast gfb, you make a regular melee weapon attack, then choose a different nearby creature, and they take additional damage. So what if theres no creatures in range of it, or I dont want to target another creature?

nickl_2000
2019-10-23, 05:53 PM
So when you cast gfb, you make a regular melee weapon attack, then choose a different nearby creature, and they take additional damage. So what if theres no creatures in range of it, or I dont want to target another creature?

If there is no target in range, no rider happens.

If there is only a target you don’t want to hit... too bad, they take fire damage. This and the damage type are why BB is often considered a superior spell.

NaughtyTiger
2019-10-23, 06:06 PM
"leaps to a target of your choice"
you can choose not to do the extra bonus damage...

nickl_2000
2019-10-23, 06:10 PM
"leaps to a target of your choice"
you can choose not to do the extra bonus damage...

I read that completely differently. I read it as it is required to leap to a different target (is there is one), you just get to choose which one.

I guess the answer is “ask you DM”. If you are the DM, go with whichever feels right to you.

NaughtyTiger
2019-10-23, 06:15 PM
I read that completely differently. I read it as it is required to leap to a different target (is there is one), you just get to choose which one.

yours is a totally reasonable interpretation.

For what it's worth, both mearls and crawford stated their intent is you can choose.

Witty Username
2019-10-23, 06:28 PM
I read that completely differently. I read it as it is required to leap to a different target (if there is one), you just get to choose which one.

I guess the answer is “ask you DM”. If you are the DM, go with whichever feels right to you.

you are always in reach of the rider so wouldn't you hit yourself in that case?

ProsecutorGodot
2019-10-23, 06:31 PM

I'm pretty sure when a spell gives you a choice of target, you can choose nothing otherwise this spell would always have a second target, yourself.

The only spell that I'm aware of off the top of my head that gives you no option and must hit multiple targets is Chain Lightning, because it has no wording of choice* other than which target (creature or object, which virtually erases the chance that you must choose yourself or an ally as a target) you want each of the 1-3 ricochets to land on.
*Technically it has no wording to imply that you get to choose the ricochet targets either but in my experience most generally agree that the caster chooses

NaughtyTiger
2019-10-23, 06:45 PM
I'm pretty sure when a spell gives you a choice of target, you can choose nothing otherwise this spell would always have a second target, yourself.

The only spell that I'm aware of off the top of my head that gives you no option and must hit multiple targets is Chain Lightning, because it has no wording of choice* other than which target (creature or object, which virtually erases the chance that you must choose yourself or an ally as a target) you want each of the 1-3 ricochets to land on.
*Technically it has no wording to imply that you get to choose the ricochet targets either but in my experience most generally agree that the caster chooses

even chain lightning implies choice:
as many as three other Targets - no minimum specified
A target can be a creature or an object - can could be read as optional

ProsecutorGodot
2019-10-23, 06:59 PM
even chain lightning implies choice:
as many as three other Targets - no minimum specified
A target can be a creature or an object - can could be read as optional

Missing a bit of context for the first part: Three bolts then leap from that target to as many as three other targets. Three bolts are always going to leap from the target. There is a reasonable interpretation however that you are correct in saying that those three additional bolts don't need to target anything, they can disperse harmlessly.

I don't think "can" in this case is referring to whether you can target something (as opposed to nothing or something) but instead specifying what the target can be. The spell, for example, can't be used to target an area in space or a surface that can't be described as an object.

In fact, reading the spell more closely and taking into account its effect on upcast, the choice of what it ricochets to is made at the same time as choosing the first target. For example, you cast Chain Lightning in a small ship battle. You target their sails as the first target (nice central position) and choose the scout on the crows nest, the captain and one of their cannons. All targets that are able make dex saves at the same time. It's important to specify what a target can be because otherwise, in the event that a large central target wasn't available, a caster could just target a point of space above their desired targets and use it as a pseudo fireball effect. That's more "Call Lightning" than "Chain Lightning".