PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Summon Monster V - which Elementals are Allowed? (Pathfinder)

Dr. Cliché
2019-10-23, 06:01 PM
Summon Monster V can apparently summon an "Elemental (Large)".

My question is, does this actually include *all* Large Elementals?

e.g. Can I use it to summon a Large Gravity Elemental? Or even a Noble Time Elemental (also Large)? A Crystallis (Large again)?

If not, which ones are legitimate summons for the spell?

upho
2019-10-23, 06:27 PM
All the elementals you mention are 3PP material and almost certainly not designed with the SM V spell in mind. I recommend you only include Large elementals published by Paizo, as those (should) take the spell into account, and/or possibly those by 3PPs which have the same CR as the Large 1PP ones. And of course talk to your GM about what would be OK in your game.

EDIT: If you find it easy to miss where content comes from using d20pfsrd, use Archives of Nethys (https://www.aonprd.com/Default.aspx) instead (official Paizo PRD and all content strictly 1PP only). /EDIT

Jack_Simth
2019-10-24, 11:34 AM
Summon Monster V can apparently summon an "Elemental (Large)".

My question is, does this actually include *all* Large Elementals?

e.g. Can I use it to summon a Large Gravity Elemental? Or even a Noble Time Elemental (also Large)? A Crystallis (Large again)?

If not, which ones are legitimate summons for the spell?

3.5 had the same ambiguity. It's intended for the four classic elementals (Earth, Air, Fire, Water). However: Elemental is a type (in 3.5; a subtype in Pathfinder) in addition to being a label of a set of specific monsters, so there's a huge number of things it might mean, if the person doing the reading wants it to. Hence, it's ambiguous.

Kurald Galain
2019-10-24, 11:51 AM

Well, what sourcebooks does your GM allow?

Specifically, does he allow third-party material from the "Tome of Horrors" by "Necromancer Games"? Because if not, gravity and time elementals flat-out do not exist in his world. To be honest, given the overall low quality of third-party material except for Dreamscarred Press, I've never heard of GMs allowing any third-party material, except for DSP.

Aside from that: the Summon Monster spell lets you summon creatures named "elemental", not just anything with the "elemental" subtype. So yes, lightning and mud elementals are fair game; but aerial servants and thoqqua are not.

Psyren
2019-10-24, 01:02 PM
The correct answer is that it's not just the 4 classic/core ones, but it's not every elemental creature in the game either, and it definitely doesn't include 3rd-party creatures unless your GM says it does.

What it covers is any monster entry that is written in the format "Elemental, X" in the Bestiaries. In other words, it's going by the monster's name/entry (just like every other monster on the summoning list), not its type or subtype. This includes the classic 4 from Bestiary 1, but it also includes e.g. Ice/Lightning/Magma/Mud from Bestiary 2, and Aether from Bestiary 4.

Akkristor
2019-10-24, 01:38 PM
Summon Monster 5's ability to summon Large Elementals allows you to summon the 4 Elementals listed in the Monster Manual under the Elemental header (Earth, Fire, Water Air), and also the 4 Paraelementals from Planar handbook (Magma, Smoke, Ooze, Ice). These are explicitly added to the Summon Monster and Summon nature's ally spells by Dragon #347.

As far as I know, Quasielementals have never been added to the Summon Monster/Nature's Ally lists.

It does not let you simply summon any Elemental that is Large. If it did, then the Small Elemental summon from SM3/SNA2 would let you summon the CR13 Living Holocaust.

It also doesn't let you summon Large Storm Elementals, they are summoned through SM6

Psyren
2019-10-24, 02:49 PM
Summon Monster 5's ability to summon Large Elementals allows you to summon the 4 Elementals listed in the Monster Manual under the Elemental header (Earth, Fire, Water Air), and also the 4 Paraelementals from Planar handbook (Magma, Smoke, Ooze, Ice). These are explicitly added to the Summon Monster and Summon nature's ally spells by Dragon #347.

As far as I know, Quasielementals have never been added to the Summon Monster/Nature's Ally lists.

It does not let you simply summon any Elemental that is Large. If it did, then the Small Elemental summon from SM3/SNA2 would let you summon the CR13 Living Holocaust.

It also doesn't let you summon Large Storm Elementals, they are summoned through SM6

Psst, Pathfinder :smallsmile:
(Your primary point is correct though, it's for creatures named Elemental rather than things like a Living Holocaust that don't have that name.)

Note that if Storm Elementals ("Elemental, Storm") were in PF, they would indeed be summonable based on size.

Akkristor
2019-10-24, 02:58 PM
Psst, Pathfinder :smallsmile:
(Your primary point is correct though, it's for creatures named Elemental rather than things like a Living Holocaust that don't have that name.)

Note that if Storm Elementals ("Elemental, Storm") were in PF, they would indeed be summonable based on size.

Oops. I completely missed the (Pathfinder) in the topic.

MY BAD!