PDA

View Full Version : How to play a wrecking ball style character?

Rfkannen
2019-10-23, 11:42 PM
I'm looking for the best way to play a wrecking ball character. What I'm picturing in a high str based character who jumps around the battlefield crushing things in there wake, causing damage wherever there needed and causes massive property damage.

I'm specificially thinking of two scenes I want to replicate

in sing where Johnny's dad rips the wall out of a prison cell and then jumps from roof to roof

The scene in order of the stick where thog crushed roy in the gladiatorial arena.

How would you build it?

One thing I'm debating about is wheather to go the heavy weapon route or the two weapon route. It seems like both could work?

Any advise welcome!

Nagog
2019-10-24, 01:30 AM
If your DM is lenient enough, I'd use the building you're in as a weapon.

Step 1: Be a Juggernaut Warforged or a Goliath. This will come in handy later, trust me.
Step 2: Gain expertise in Athletics. This will help with the jumping about and keep things STR focused (not Dex with Acrobatics). Whether through feats with variant rules (such as Skilled) or a level dip in rogue, it's well worth it.
Step 3: Bear Totem Barbarian. By level 6, your carrying capacity doubles. And thanks to your race and the way math works, you can now carry 4x the norm for your Str score, which you should also be min maxing. Great for picking up things not meant to be picked up and slamming them on folks, cue massive damage.

And there you have it. What you have left is a second expertise to throw somewhere and a whole ton of Barbarian benefits to help with your highly mobile smashy smash destruction.

To add some suggestions in the mix, if you're interested:
Nabbing the Tavern Brawler Feat allows you to make an unarmed strike and then grapple somebody. With expertise in Athletics and advantage on STR (from Rage), you basically just pick them up.
With your carrying capacity, odds are you can swing around most enemies as a 2 handed weapon, dealing damage to them and whatever you're hitting as well. When you can lift well over 1 ton, dual wielding your enemies as weapons becomes a relatively viable (and fun) option.
If you're really feeling over the moon with it, pick up the Grappler feat to give your person-wielding attacks advantage, as they are attacks against a person you're grappling. They're also attacks against whatever you're hitting them with, but as there's no RAW for that and this DEFINITELY falls under the Rule of Cool, I'd hope your DM would approve these shenanigans. If only you could make person-wielding Dex based so you could add in your Sneak Attack bonus to the mix. All well, better luck next build.

GentlemanVoodoo
2019-10-24, 01:34 AM
I am not familiar with these scenes you are referring to but it seems from what you are describing you may want to consider playing as an Eldritch Knight Fighter or some melee cleric like the War or Forge Domains. The rules of jumping (long or high) are governed by Strength so some spells that increase this stat is in order. Combined with spells like Jump and Enlarge/Reduce would produce the effect you are wanting.

Zerubbabel
2019-10-24, 01:44 AM
Wouldn't you rather be a wrecking ball to established order and expectations. IF so then you ABSOLUTELY must go CHAOTIC EVIL :)

Chaotic Evil Paladin (Conquest or Oathbreaker) or Thief - Assassin. Would work equally well!

And just be absolutely unpredictable, your DM will love you I guarantee it!

JakOfAllTirades
2019-10-24, 02:26 AM
Does polymorphing yourself into a giant ape count?

assafelron
2019-10-24, 02:31 AM
I'm thinking about an Orc totem warrior barbarian.
Orcs have: Ability Score Increase- Your Strength score increases by 2, your Constitution score increases by 1, and your Intelligence score is reduced by 2.
Aggressive- As a bonus action, you can move up to your speed toward an enemy of your choice that you can see or hear. That will allow you to cover the distances you wish with jumps. Menacing. You are trained in the Intimidation skill. flavor-wise that's awesome.
Powerful Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.[/B][/B The aim is to allow your character to wield insanely large improvised weapons (or use a huge weapon regularly if the DM allows it), and also throw around carts, horses, enemies.

Totem warrior barbarian gives you: at level 3 you can take - Tiger.While raging, you can add 10 feet to your long jump distance and 3 feet to your high jump distance. if you get yourself Boots of Striding and Springing or a jump spell somehow the 30 foot jump turns in into 90.
At level 6 - Bear. You gain the might of a bear. Your carrying capacity (including maximum load and maximum lift) is doubled, and you have advantage on Strength checks made to push, pull, lift, or break objects. That's a crucial element of the build now you carry\throw\push is quadrupled!!! the normal weight you are allowed, and your breaking ability doubled.
On level 14 I would take- Elk. While raging, you can use a bonus action during your move to pass through the space of a Large or smaller creature. That creature must succeed on a Strength saving throw (DC 8 + your Strength bonus + your proficiency bonus) or be knocked prone and take bludgeoning damage equal to 1d12 + your Strength modifier. You already have great jump, so I'll pass on the flying option, crashing into things sound cooler.

I would consider seriously on adding 2 levels of moon druid allowing you a free 70 HP cushion twice per short rest (as your beast form takes half damage), that's insane. It also allow you to be a raging bear. that's cool. It also gives you access to Jump which is a non concentration spell, so you can cast it before raging+wild-shaping. As I understand it you keep your orc racial abilities in your wild form ("You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so").

Randomthom
2019-10-24, 02:35 AM
If your DM is lenient enough, I'd use the building you're in as a weapon.

Step 1: Be a Juggernaut Warforged or a Goliath. This will come in handy later, trust me.
Step 2: Gain expertise in Athletics. This will help with the jumping about and keep things STR focused (not Dex with Acrobatics). Whether through feats with variant rules (such as Skilled) or a level dip in rogue, it's well worth it.
Step 3: Bear Totem Barbarian. By level 6, your carrying capacity doubles. And thanks to your race and the way math works, you can now carry 4x the norm for your Str score, which you should also be min maxing. Great for picking up things not meant to be picked up and slamming them on folks, cue massive damage.

And there you have it. What you have left is a second expertise to throw somewhere and a whole ton of Barbarian benefits to help with your highly mobile smashy smash destruction.

To add some suggestions in the mix, if you're interested:
Nabbing the Tavern Brawler Feat allows you to make an unarmed strike and then grapple somebody. With expertise in Athletics and advantage on STR (from Rage), you basically just pick them up.
With your carrying capacity, odds are you can swing around most enemies as a 2 handed weapon, dealing damage to them and whatever you're hitting as well. When you can lift well over 1 ton, dual wielding your enemies as weapons becomes a relatively viable (and fun) option.
If you're really feeling over the moon with it, pick up the Grappler feat to give your person-wielding attacks advantage, as they are attacks against a person you're grappling. They're also attacks against whatever you're hitting them with, but as there's no RAW for that and this DEFINITELY falls under the Rule of Cool, I'd hope your DM would approve these shenanigans. If only you could make person-wielding Dex based so you could add in your Sneak Attack bonus to the mix. All well, better luck next build.

Totally stealing this to make a deranged Warforged NPC called Sledge. Recommend a Maul for when no persons of appropriate size are present to wield :D

DarknessEternal
2019-10-24, 09:26 AM
5e cannot replicate those without spell casting classes. You’d need previous editions for that.

Damon_Tor
2019-10-24, 10:47 AM
Rowboat

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?600977-The-most-powerful-melee-weapon-in-D-amp-D-5e-is-The-Rowboat

EggKookoo
2019-10-24, 12:16 PM
https://shopeesgblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/hammond_repair.gif

Yakmala
2019-10-24, 01:06 PM
Polymorph into a Gigantosaurus from Beasts of the Jungle Rot and wreck havoc!

FYI, Beasts of the Jungle Rot is AL legal!

Ventruenox
2019-10-24, 01:55 PM
I have seen just the build for that:

The Koolaid Man Barbarian:

Half Orc Barbarian 13
Primal Path: Totem Warrior
Guild Artisan - Tool Proficiency: Mason's Tools
Feats: Great Weapon Mastery, Orcish Fury,

Get Strength to 20 or pick up a belt of giant strength if you can. Make sure you pick up an Adamantine Maul or Greataxe. The level 3 path feature doesn't matter, but the level 6 path feature does: Grab Bear here. Trust me.

You now have advantage on strength checks to break objects, and you crit when you hit an object with the adamantine weapon, and your masonry tools proficiency rules from Xanathar's Guide allows you to deal double damage with your weapons when you break an object. Add in Brutal Critical 2, Savage Attacks, and Great Weapon Master, and congratulations, you now can do something like 100 damage per hit to any object almost guaranteed. If your DM rules it requires a strength check and not a weapon attack to break down a wall, you have the bear totem feature. If the DM rules you must use the attack action, well you don't lose anything except advantage, which you can regain by using reckless attacks. No wall or door is safe.

Tack on a Ring of Jumping and Boots of Striding and Springing and you can bounce all over causing property damage.

Misterwhisper
2019-10-24, 02:18 PM
Warforged Juggernaut Battlerager Barbarian, built in spiked armor.

Move up and body slam with your armor and then pound them again and grapple.

Grind them into the ground as you move.

DarknessEternal
2019-10-24, 02:18 PM
I have seen just the build for that:

Tack on a Ring of Jumping and Boots of Striding and Springing and you can bounce all over causing property damage.

And this accomplishes what useful goal exactly?

Ventruenox
2019-10-24, 03:01 PM

Six times normal jump distance and reliable property damage. That's pretty useful for a creative player, and satisfies the OP's request.

Rfkannen
2019-10-24, 03:03 PM

Smash building good!

Damon_Tor
2019-10-24, 03:26 PM
The "Earth Tremor" spell is pretty good for this, actually. Build a tanky wizard (Abjurer with Heavy Armor, probably gained from a Forge Cleric dip) and jump into the middle of bad guys and cast it, with your "somatic component" being you slamming the ground with your fist to make a crater. Once you get Enlarge/Reduce, cast it to embiggen yourself so you can effect more squares with the spell.

The result will be enemies knocked prone and you being surrounded with difficult terrain, which makes it pretty hard for them to get past you to the squishies past you because they've got to get up and then they have to move at half speed through your crater, effectively giving them 1/4 speed, virtually guaranteeing they'll stay on you and not your squishier teammates at least for that round. Another dip into Warlock gets you Armor of Agathys and your tankiness is assured.

CTurbo
2019-10-24, 07:10 PM
Warforged Juggernaut Battlerager Barbarian, built in spiked armor.

Move up and body slam with your armor and then pound them again and grapple.

Grind them into the ground as you move.

I came here to say Warforged Juggernaut Battlerager Barbarian with built in spiked armor

Guess I was too slow lol