PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Effects of Wind Strengths / Control Winds

Chrizzt
2019-10-24, 12:47 AM
Hi!

The campaign I'm playing in might get a nautical element soon, and I'm thinking of taking control winds spell thus (with the intent of swapping it after that part becomes less important).

What else can you do with the spell, that is not in the description?

You can (given a corresponding DM ruling allowing you to adapt the area of effect) blow wind into sails.

Many cloud and gas spells can be dispersed.

What else? I'm looking for effects to make the spell even more worthwile, given the limited amount of spells a sorcerer gets.

Is there a table somewhere giving effects of strong winds? I wasn't able to find one.

Thanks!

ImproperJustice
2019-10-24, 05:56 AM
Having recently run an elemental themed sorceror, I will tell you to avoid Control Winds.
Most of what it can do, can be done by lesser spells.

Feather Fall, Gust of Wind, Wind Wall, or Warding Wind

Any defensive benefits (disadvantage on ranged attacks) is negated by the same benefit as it hinders your allies too.

Flyers are mobile so the AoE is actually too small.

I tried to make it worthwhile in several sessions and ultimately ended up dropping it for Wall of Stone.

Chrizzt
2019-10-24, 08:05 AM
Having recently run an elemental themed sorceror, I will tell you to avoid Control Winds.
Most of what it can do, can be done by lesser spells.

Feather Fall, Gust of Wind, Wind Wall, or Warding Wind

Any defensive benefits (disadvantage on ranged attacks) is negated by the same benefit as it hinders your allies too.

Flyers are mobile so the AoE is actually too small.

I tried to make it worthwhile in several sessions and ultimately ended up dropping it for Wall of Stone.

Thank you for your feedback concerning your practical experience with CW! I've checked the other spells you recommendet. Gust of wind only has 1 Min duration. CW can be up to one hour. And the other spells dont put momentum to sails.

So while I agree to your combat related points, for the sake of sea travels (in which my group will have to hurry) it seems I'm stuck with control winds :/

I guess I should make myself comfortable with the thought of retraining it afterwards.

SodaQueen
2019-10-24, 08:16 AM
You could use the downdraft effect to protect your crew from attacks from an enemy ship. It definitely works on arrows but I don't have siege weapons handy to know of it also works on ballista.

You could use the updraft to assist in boarding enemy ships, especially if you have an especially strong or jumpy person, some kind of glide, or start high like from the crows nest.

I guess if another ship is close enough you could also create wind to blow against them to keep them from catching your ship.

That's all I've got atm.

JackPhoenix
2019-10-24, 08:25 AM
Thank you for your feedback concerning your practical experience with CW! I've checked the other spells you recommendet. Gust of wind only has 1 Min duration. CW can be up to one hour. And the other spells dont put momentum to sails.

So while I agree to your combat related points, for the sake of sea travels (in which my group will have to hurry) it seems I'm stuck with control winds :/

I guess I should make myself comfortable with the thought of retraining it afterwards.

The duration may not be worth much if you want to use it as propulsion. The area is pretty small and it's fixed, which means it may not move with your ship, depending on your GM's ruling.

Chrizzt
2019-10-24, 08:42 AM
@JackPhoenix: Right, thus my mentioning of the corresponding dm ruling. I'm quite optimistic he will allow it. If not, then the spell is out of question really quickly..

@SodaQueen: Nice suggestions! Thanks!

denthor
2019-10-24, 08:48 AM
This is an alternative that somebody my group actually did become a summoner learn the elemental language of air.

Find a way to augment the spells of the at last twice as long then use the elemental for short propulsion Burst

Chrizzt
2019-10-24, 08:56 AM
@denthor: Conjure Elemental is not on the list of sorcerer spells. I might have to ask my dm if he allows it. Great idea apart from that. My sorcerer already speaks primordial.

I really don't understand why the sorcerer is cut off from SO MANY spells compared to the wizard, many really fitting for sorcerers. It is already so frustrating..