PDA

View Full Version : New Character help

Aett_Thorn
2019-10-24, 11:28 AM
Hey all,

About to join a new campaign and am unsure what kind of character I should build to compliment the party. Seeing as how I always see good help for others, I thought I’d use the collective wisdom here to help me narrow it down.

Restrictions: AL rules, no home brew.

Preferences: no duplication of a current character’s role. My past characters have been a BattleMaster, Light Cleric, Artificer, and another Cleric, and would prefer a different experience.

Other party members:
Warlock
Druid
Tempest Cleric
Either a Barbarian or Wizard

Starting at level 4.

Any help would be appreciated!

Bobthewizard
2019-10-24, 12:02 PM
I'd play either a barbarian or wizard, whichever the other player doesn't.

NecessaryWeevil
2019-10-24, 12:08 PM
You've played casters and frontline fighters, and the party already has lots of casters. I'd go Rogue or Bard, probably one that's good in melee.

Nidgit
2019-10-24, 12:11 PM
One option would be to use SCAG for Swashbuckler and pick up Booming Blade. A skill monkey/face and skirmisher certainly wouldn't hurt.

Fighter, Paladin, or Sorcerer could all be good depending on what subclasses your party is planning on taking.

Waterdeep Merch
2019-10-24, 12:17 PM
Battlemaster Fighter archer would do pretty great here. Variant Human is the safe and powerful if boring choice, allowing you to have Sharpshooter and a Dexterity of 18 to start the game. Maneuvers like Disarming Attack, Distracting Strike, Goading Attack (this one's extremely funny on an archer), Maneuvering Attack, Menacing Attack, and Trip Attack give you some strong teamwork abilities that you can spam to make yourself well-liked by your friends. And your damage will be aces.

Yakmala
2019-10-24, 01:34 PM
Based on what you have already played and the current composition of the party, I'm going to suggest a Monk. Open Hand is always good. Pick up the Mobile feat early unless you go Way of the Drunken Master.

You have tanks. You have ranged DPS. Play as a highly mobile hit and run melee combatant. Stun enemies or knock them prone to set up advantage. Push enemies back to get them off more fragile party members. Never stay in melee after your attacks, but move off then re-engage next round where-ever you are most needed.

The other fun thing about Monks is that nearly every level, from 1 all the way to 20 gives you something new to add to your bag of tricks.

Aett_Thorn
2019-10-24, 03:12 PM
I'd play either a barbarian or wizard, whichever the other player doesn't.

So I had that thought as well, but I don’t know which one he’ll be bringing until probably the last minute. Unless I just create one of each...

Aett_Thorn
2019-10-24, 03:18 PM
You've played casters and frontline fighters, and the party already has lots of casters. I'd go Rogue or Bard, probably one that's good in melee.

One option would be to use SCAG for Swashbuckler and pick up Booming Blade. A skill monkey/face and skirmisher certainly wouldn't hurt.

So my line of thinking was likely to take me down the path of either Bard or Rouge, seeing how we’re light on Dex-based characters, and may need a bit of a skill monkey. Monk could work, but we already have two Wis-based characters, so I’m not sure how useful that would be.

A Blade Bard or Swashbuckler could work great for this party, in theory. Or an Arcane Trickster in case the guy decides to play his Barbarian.

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-10-24, 09:53 PM
Hey all,

About to join a new campaign and am unsure what kind of character I should build to compliment the party. Seeing as how I always see good help for others, I thought I’d use the collective wisdom here to help me narrow it down.

Restrictions: AL rules, no home brew.

Preferences: no duplication of a current character’s role. My past characters have been a BattleMaster, Light Cleric, Artificer, and another Cleric, and would prefer a different experience.

Other party members:
Warlock
Druid
Tempest Cleric
Either a Barbarian or Wizard

Starting at level 4.

Any help would be appreciated!

Strength Based Rogue would do well.

djreynolds
2019-10-26, 02:11 AM
Consensus seems to be rogue.

I think swashbuckler is just fine, could go strength based but IMO a dex-based rogue will good skills will help. How about you leave strength around 12 and take expertise in athletics and stealth

Sneak attack damage really adds up.

A half elf can take fey ancestry (high elf) and grab booming blade as their free cantrip

da newt
2019-10-26, 07:14 AM
The XG2E rogue subclasses are all interesting. I recommend checking them all out.

Aett_Thorn
2019-10-26, 07:39 AM
The XG2E rogue subclasses are all interesting. I recommend checking them all out.

The Scout is definitely interesting to me, since we might be doing some Chultan modules and having nature and survival expertise could be useful.

Tawmis
2019-10-26, 03:39 PM
Everyone's throwing down good suggestions for what class and such to play...

If you need a character background also I can help you with that! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?591882-Need-a-character-background-written-up)

Speely
2019-10-26, 03:59 PM
If the 4th player chooses Barbarian, play a Lore Bard. If they choose Wizard, play a Swashbuckler Rogue.

If you need to decide before knowing all that, play an Arcane Trickster Rogue. Fits with pretty much any party comp and is super fun.

8wGremlin
2019-10-26, 07:00 PM
Play a Gloom Staker Variant Human Ranger. Pump Dex, and Wis. (Xanathar's guide to everything)
at level 1 take Crossbow Expert as a Feat
at level 4 take Sharpshooter
use a single had crossbow, in your off hand.

You get +wis mod to Init.
You get +10ft movement on 1st round of combat, and +1 shot with attack action, which does an additional +1d8 damage.
You get to fire twice. 1 normally, 1 bonus action attack. (+1 shot mentioned above)
You can see in the dark, While in darkness, you are invisible to any creature that relies on darkvision to see you in that darkness.