PDA

View Full Version : Campaign World and Cartography

FilthyLucre
2019-10-24, 01:24 PM
Howdy All,

I'm taking a deep dive into world building for my upcoming D&D campaign. Depending on how it goes it might be a playtest for the material and maybe even thrown onto the DMs Guild at some point. I thought some of you might enjoy seeing the map taking shape as it is drawn by my artist. I was also hoping to bounce world ideas off of folks - I hope you enjoy!

Continent Map Progress (https://imgur.com/a/FcSQLOI)

Altair_the_Vexed
2019-10-25, 03:59 AM
That's a lovely map!

With my geography hat on, from the map I can see that your continent may be in the temperate zone, subject to relatively recent glaciation - those sharply incised inlets and pointy headlands are calling out "Northern Europe" and "Canada" to me.
Either that, or it's a ruggedly rocky region, possibly semi-arid, subject to relatively frequent earthquakes - like the Italy-Greece-Turkey section of the Mediterranean.

Am I anywhere near right?

FilthyLucre
2019-10-25, 08:41 AM
That's a lovely map!

With my geography hat on, from the map I can see that your continent may be in the temperate zone, subject to relatively recent glaciation - those sharply incised inlets and pointy headlands are calling out "Northern Europe" and "Canada" to me.
Either that, or it's a ruggedly rocky region, possibly semi-arid, subject to relatively frequent earthquakes - like the Italy-Greece-Turkey section of the Mediterranean.

Am I anywhere near right?

You're correct - I used Azgaar's Fantasy Map Generator/ (https://azgaar.github.io/Fantasy-Map-Generator/) to produce the original landmass and it spat out a continent in the northern hemisphere of the world that is mostly temperate deciduous forest and temperate rain forest along with patches of grassland. In the center is a "cold desert" - not sure if you have those in England. I'll update my imgur link with my original work and the artists progress as he fleshed it out.

Gallowglass
2019-10-25, 10:22 AM
let me guess. 11 is the dwarves and 9 is the elves.

FilthyLucre
2019-10-25, 02:32 PM
let me guess. 11 is the dwarves and 9 is the elves.

You are correct.