PDA

View Full Version : Valor or glamour bard for a warlord?

Rfkannen
2019-10-24, 02:51 PM
I've been playing this character for a while, the concept being a viking warlord. He has been a valor bard which has been alright. But I was just reading about the glamorous bard, and was wondering if that (maybe with a dip in paladin for armor) would be a better way to make a warlord character.

What would you do? Valor or glamour?

Ps. I do not have the wisdom for order cleric

stoutstien
2019-10-24, 03:03 PM
Im currently playing an order domain cleric 2 /glamour bard X as a warlord.
So far it been a blast and very effective

Grimmnist
2019-10-24, 03:10 PM
I think Valor probably fits better than Glamour for a Warlord. While some of the Glamour abilities like Mantle of Inspiration fit well with the theme, others like Mantle of Majesty work less well. Glamour is themed heavily around Fey magic and while you could certainly reflavor, the Fey tend to have a certain silliness. Becoming extra beautiful and commanding enemies doesn't fit the image of a viking warlord I have in my head. This isn't to say it is bad or wrong to play a Glamour Viking Warlord, just that there are some inconsistencies in the theme you may need to figure out.

If you are open to homebrew, KibblesTasty has an excellent Warlord class on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/dgg9h2/kibbles_warlord_v131_change_the_odds_as_a/).

SLOTHRPG95
2019-10-24, 06:12 PM
Valor Bard is probably the better bet. Sure, as a leader you expect a certain amount of gravitas and ability to support one's followers, but that's pretty well covered by the base Bard abilities. The College of Valor lets you lead from the front, and for vikings who value (physical) strength and combat prowess in their leaders, that's probably more important than a bit of extra magical "presence."