PDA

View Full Version : The Spectre

Bartmanhomer
2019-10-24, 05:15 PM
I actually seen Spectre in Batman Brave And The Bold and this dude is something else. I can't tell if he a hero or anti-hero. He reminds me of Deadpool in a mystical way.

Lapak
2019-10-24, 05:36 PM
I actually seen Spectre in Batman Brave And The Bold and this dude is something else. I can't tell if he a hero or anti-hero. He reminds me of Deadpool in a mystical way.
With the caveat that he has varied WILDLY over time, he is essentially the Wrath of God made form, with the God in question behind the Old Testament 'turn people into pillars of salt, annihilate whole populations who have offended' type. Which lands him pretty comfortably in anti-hero territory; usually-but-not-always more concerned with punishing the wicked than saving the innocent.

He's also (again, usually) one of the heaviest hitters in the DC universe power-wise, a cosmic being without significant limitations on his power.

Devonix
2019-10-24, 06:24 PM
With the caveat that he has varied WILDLY over time, he is essentially the Wrath of God made form, with the God in question behind the Old Testament 'turn people into pillars of salt, annihilate whole populations who have offended' type. Which lands him pretty comfortably in anti-hero territory; usually-but-not-always more concerned with punishing the wicked than saving the innocent.

He's also (again, usually) one of the heaviest hitters in the DC universe power-wise, a cosmic being without significant limitations on his power.

He can Basically do anything, unless God tells him no. Such as when he went to kill Darkseid and could have, but God wouldn't let him.

Or when he was going on a rampage to destroy all magic and all magic users in the DC universe. And the only plan that ended up working was having him kill enough of the high teir cosmic entities, that God would take notice and punish him. Since no one else could stop him.

comicshorse
2019-10-25, 09:08 AM
I believe this is why he's normally tied to a human soul to provide some kind of conscience to all that power

(Also because when he has own comic it means the reader can actually relate to the Spectre :smallsmile:)

Bartmanhomer
2019-10-25, 07:31 PM

Oh wow. He must be very powerful. :eek:

Reddish Mage
2019-10-27, 06:27 PM
Oh wow. He must be very powerful. :eek:

He frequently tops the list of most powerful superheroes.

Starbuck_II
2019-10-31, 11:29 AM
He almost lost in Darkest Night (or whatever it was called when everyone reanimated as a undead Black Lantern).

JoshL
2019-10-31, 02:38 PM
I was never into superhero comics, but I'd read anything I could get my hands on as a kid (you don't know if you'll like a thing until you try!) I had the issue of Secret Origins that told The Spectre and Deadman, and loved it in a way I never loved cape books before. It certainly primed me for things like Sandman, which I discovered soon after. Didn't follow up on the character much, but I still love that issue